ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #51871
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post


That was on the poughkeepsie trail in Colorado. It's marked as a down only trail but we were going up it to try to save time because it was getting late. Big mistake, it took us about two hours to get up that gulch. This trail is probably the most technically challenging trail in the Ouray area.
We did that trail, going down though like you're supposed to If you want challenging, ride the Alpine Trail next time







Alpine Trail Info (note, Enduro-ince is an A level rider): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134174
__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)

OhioPT screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 12:58 PM
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #51872
dyrtybyrd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dyrtybyrd's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Buckeye & Tarheel States
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post

The only thing balanced about my tires is the huge stack of them that is about to fall over in my garage. The Leaning Tower of Tourances. Guess I should stop procrastinating about taking them to be recycled.
Dox, I don't think your stack of Tourances is balanced either........if they are, in fact leaning and about to fall over.
__________________
'14 F700GS
dyrtybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #51873
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
We did that trail, going down though like you're supposed to If you want challenging, ride the Alpine Trail next time

Alpine Trail Info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134174
I'll have to check that out. I'm really not sure what we did or didn't do. I went with a bunch of guys from Indiana and I just tried to follow them and keep up.

I know I did some shit that I would have never thought that I would have done ever! For example...Landon and I were going up this really steep rocky section of a trail at Spring Creek pass that was marked as no motorized traffic (Forest service map said otherwise though) and his clutch went out about 20 feet from the top and I decided to keep going on alone without maps or a GPS. :( Pretty dumb but I survived. I continued across the snow mesa on the Colorado trail/La Garita Stock Trail until I reached the first junction. Well Landon had told me to take Mineral Creek trail but I had forgotten what he said except that it had creek in it. :( So I took Rough Creek trail instead. Well rough Creek takes you into the La Garita Wilderness! So I'm alone in the middle of a wilderness which I didn't know until I got back to camp. All I know was that I was the first person to ever try to take a motorcycle down this trail. I lost the trail several times, had to bypass down trees, etc. Of course it's all single track. I have video of it but haven't done anything with it since I wasn't supposed to be in the wilderness on a motorcycle. I thought I was going to die several times. Not once did I see a sign saying that I was in a wilderness.

This was the sign at the junction that I came to. I think that faded one on the bottom was the warning about staying out of the wilderness but as you can tell..you can't read it. :(


Oh, Landon pushed his bike back down the hill to 149 and got help from the forest service workers but not until they gave him crap about being on that trail... :(
__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 01:29 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #51874
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser
 
mpenner's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Centerburg, OH
Oddometer: 798
It Lives

I just got a call that my V-Strom is running again and will be ready to be picked up this evening.

Hopefully it is all set to make it to 100k miles without any major service.
__________________
Mike

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #51875
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
I just got a call that my V-Strom is running again and will be ready to be picked up this evening.

Hopefully it is all set to make it to 100k miles without any major service.
Did they ever say what the problem was?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #51876
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Made my weekly visit to the Luarelville playground yesterday on the WRR. As I pulled up the the BP around 1:30, a group of bikes was pulling out. It was a hell of a variety; there were a couple mid-sized dual sports (400-650 range), a decked out KTM 990 Adventure (with rider decked out in dirt gear) a big burgman type scooter, and a Strom hack with a utility side car. I filled up quickly and raced to catch them, which I successfully did, but they turned left of Big Pine road (enjoyable scenic paved backroad), I left them to hit dirt (they were just putting along in a slow and steady fashion anyway). Anyone have a clue who they were?

Had an 'on' day, so i hit some paths (hill climbs) I never would've dreamed of riding a month ago. Pull off one climb in particular that I was proud of; a very steep and curvy incline; smooth and soft dirt, so the tire just stuck while I stood over the front tire.

Not sure if the front is getting worn out on me (still looks fine), or if it was just over-inflated, but it was washing out all over. Perhaps I'm just getting faster, and I'm closing in on the limit of the 50/50 tire? Doubt it.

On my way home I ended up on a ridiculous trail. The GPS had it as a road, so I didn't even know what I was getting into. Unfortunately I came the wrong way on it, and went up one nasty hill climb. Not too steep, but huge rocks and steps. It probably didn't help that it was the end of my day and I was worn out. Stalled it twice going up steps and fell to the left both times. I stayed standing both times, but the bike landed hard on rocks.


Bent the footpeg and handlebars.

I WILL be hitting that trail some more, but the other direction would be better.

Stopped by a mom and pop bike shop on the way home (which turned out to be pop and daughter bike shop ), but they could only get aftermarket pegs, and they were $130-$150. Pass. Back at home I hit it a few times with the 5 pound sledge and flattened it out. It's still bent forward, but it's flat, so who cares. Bent the bars back too. I'll replace them... at a later date.

I did notice my 'previous-owners home-made' skid plate (sheet metal) took a hell of a beating. No less than 3 good dents in it.

And the little spring in my shifter isn't working right either.



Jeesh, to sum all that up... I had a great ride beating the shit out of my WRR yesterday!
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #51877
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Made my weekly visit to the Luarelville playground yesterday on the WRR. As I pulled up the the BP around 1:30, a group of bikes was pulling out. It was a hell of a variety; there were a couple mid-sized dual sports (400-650 range), a decked out KTM 990 Adventure (with rider decked out in dirt gear) a big burgman type scooter, and a Strom hack with a utility side car. I filled up quickly and raced to catch them, which I successfully did, but they turned left of Big Pine road (enjoyable scenic paved backroad), I left them to hit dirt (they were just putting along in a slow and steady fashion anyway). Anyone have a clue who they were?

Had an 'on' day, so i hit some paths (hill climbs) I never would've dreamed of riding a month ago. Pull off one climb in particular that I was proud of; a very steep and curvy incline; smooth and soft dirt, so the tire just stuck while I stood over the front tire.

Not sure if the front is getting worn out on me (still looks fine), or if it was just over-inflated, but it was washing out all over. Perhaps I'm just getting faster, and I'm closing in on the limit of the 50/50 tire? Doubt it.

On my way home I ended up on a ridiculous trail. The GPS had it as a road, so I didn't even know what I was getting into. Unfortunately I came the wrong way on it, and went up one nasty hill climb. Not too steep, but huge rocks and steps. It probably didn't help that it was the end of my day and I was worn out. Stalled it twice going up steps and fell to the left both times. I stayed standing both times, but the bike landed hard on rocks.

Bent the footpeg and handlebars.

I WILL be hitting that trail some more, but the other direction would be better.

Stopped by a mom and pop bike shop on the way home (which turned out to be pop and daughter bike shop ), but they could only get aftermarket pegs, and they were $130-$150. Pass. Back at home I hit it a few times with the 5 pound sledge and flattened it out. It's still bent forward, but it's flat, so who cares. Bent the bars back too. I'll replace them... at a later date.

I did notice my 'previous-owners home-made' skid plate (sheet metal) took a hell of a beating. No less than 3 good dents in it.

And the little spring in my shifter isn't working right either.

Jeesh, to sum all that up... I had a great ride beating the shit out of my WRR yesterday!
I still have my OEM foot pegs after replacing them with pivot pegz. I also have my OEM shift lever after replacing it with one from Driven Racing. I carry it as a spare though. Let me know if you are interested in them..
__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #51878
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
And the little spring in my shifter isn't working right either.
Looks like you just need to feed the end back thru to load the spring again. Had the same thing happen with the KLR.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #51879
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Looks like you just need to feed the end back thru to load the spring again. Had the same thing happen with the KLR.
Did that, several times. It holds till I push the thing in a couple times, then it pops back out into the position you see here. I'm thinking there used to be a 90 degree angle on both ends, and it snapped off the one side? Now it won't stay put.

I'm not too worried about it.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #51880
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Did they ever say what the problem was?
+1, also curious.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." - DBT

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #51881
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Made my weekly visit to the Luarelville playground yesterday on the WRR.

Jeesh, to sum all that up... I had a great ride beating the shit out of my WRR yesterday!
As always, great story!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #51882
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post


That was on the poughkeepsie trail in Colorado. It's marked as a down only trail but we were going up it to try to save time because it was getting late. Big mistake, it took us about two hours to get up that gulch. This trail is probably the most technically challenging trail in the Ouray area.

I've got a new destination for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBZj...e&hd=1&t=2m10s

__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #51883
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I've got a new destination for ya:
I've got some pics and video like that. Guess I need to post them. I haven't done anything with the video yet though. It's still un-edited...

I was on a trail like that by myself and came up on a tree that was down across the trail. I was on a downhill slope and there wasn't any way to get around the tree and I couldn't turn around or push the bike backwards up the hill the way I came. So I laid the bike down and took the handlebars off and slid it underneath the tree. :(



I of course have video of the whole thing but basically I dug out under the tree as much as I could and broke off some limbs and then slid the bike underneath in the triangular space that it created...
__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 06:48 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #51884
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
After installing my own tires, I'm too lazy to balance them. Never really notice a problem with it.

The only thing balanced about my tires is the huge stack of them that is about to fall over in my garage. The Leaning Tower of Tourances. Guess I should stop procrastinating about taking them to be recycled.

Recycled? What? You don't have brush piles to burn?
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #51885
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,357
I'm headed to CCM tomorrow morning to look at orange bikes and then head over to Pike SF to play around. Anyone want to join me? Supposed to be hot but the last time I was at Pike it wasn't that bad because you can go pretty fast on the trails.
__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014