ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #51916
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Alright I'm talkin!

This past Tuesday our own Alansz was WRR'n it over to see the new Honda CRF when he met a pickup truck mid-corner on a 1 lane dirt road. He cut right to miss it, but caught the bumper with his left leg.

A statie showed up, made some anti-dirtbike comments, and ended up citing Alan for left of center . It was a 1 lane road, and the truck was pulling a large trailer... make your own conclusion.

Alan was flown down here to Ohio State University Hospital, and an Inmate picked up his bike, which apparently isn't in to bad of shape.

I met a few folks at the hospital Wednesay, but Alan was pretty zonked. Had a bit of an erector set thing going on with his left leg, which is broken (both bones) just below the knee. That appears to be the only substantial damage though. He was in the transplant department , but had a nice room. The goal was for Surgery Friday, and home Monday or Tuesday.

I went back Thursday morning and he was nowhere to be found. Apparently the doctors were concerned about swelling, so they brought him into surgery early, where they were replacing the external brace with plates and screws on the bones.

Which brings us to Friday (yesterday), I stopped by after work and almost walked into someone else's room. Apparently they moved him out of the transplant department up to the ortho...broken-bone... department, where he's now sharing a room with some elderly guy who is absolutely hating life, yet apparently has a lot of friends. Alan was awake and alert, and fricking miserable; the shared room is ridiculous. The leg looks much better, it's wrapped in ACE type bandage and has one of these things:

Goal now is to leave the Hospital Sunday (Tomorrow).
No skid marks to prove fault? Anyone take pictures? (Not of Alan!)
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #51917
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Thank you for the update Mike, I was wondering how surgery went. I wanted to post this up myself but didnt know how he felt about it and forgot to ask him while there on Wed.

It was nice to hear that as soon as he is healed up that he wants to get back on the bike!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #51918
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
He was riding alone and the pain made him pretty out of it. He did mention that the truck driver was taking photos of him. He also said that the leg flopping around about made an Amish man puke.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #51919
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
If he needs anything from Afghanistan?
Hashish?

Opium?

A RPG?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #51920
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Sorry to hear about Alan, hang in there. FN Trooper, I'd rather have a sister workin a whorehouse than a brother on the patrol.
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #51921
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,634
For Sion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Bug...layer_embedded
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #51922
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
If he needs anything from Afghanistan?
I will be home on R&R 16 Sep-14Oct Yes, Your awesome "Son Of Anarchy T-Shirt" that was yours,
If you were to have a "Garage Day" at Alan's I would push his wheel chair around for 10 min and feed him beer. That is the best I can do.
B.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #51923
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post

meh...Bandana Frank needs to quit preening and go ride...putting on a do rag shouldnt take more than 10...15 seconds...tops!

oh, and the music reminded me of the Buffalo Bill scene in The Silence of the Lambs....when he's getting dressed as a woman...just sayin', ya know?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #51924
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I'm trying to think what to say, and I can't even think what to say.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #51925
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,628
Well I went and looked at KTMs today and now I can't decide if I want a 250 XC‑W smoker or a 350 XCF‑W. I'm actually leaning toward the 2-stroke at the moment...

Oh and Pike SF ATV area is LAMO big time. The last time I was there it was muddy as hell last fall and I was on the KLR. What a difference being dry and being on the WRR. I had fun catching air on the water bars and didn't get hot since I was going really fast just to make it interesting...

I can't believe I ever had fun there even on the KLR.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #51926
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
It was gravel/dirt, it took my about 5 trips back and forth to even figure out where it had happened, and I was there less than 24 hours later.

I also think i had a run in with the same trooper on wednesday. Came up to a 3 way stop on gravel, as a trooper was coming to the right of me. He beat me to the stop, and was starting to go, then jammed on his brakes and waited for me to turn. He followed me almost all the way back to Loudonville. This was before I knew about the ticket, so I figured he thought the bike was stolen or something, because it was kinda haphazard wedged behind my mowers on the trailer.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #51927
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Did they ever say what the problem was?
The problem that made it quit running was intake valves. For some reason they were so tight that they were not closing, even though they had been adjusted about 1000 miles before I left for Alaska. When the mechanic was adjusting them, he noticed that the cam chains were very loose and kinking, so he replaced those which required that the engine be removed from the bike. After it was all back together, it failed a leak down test due to intake valves leaking on one cylinder and a stuck ring on the other. So back out came the engine.

In the end, I got 4 new intake valves, new rings, and new cam chains. While things were apart, I had the air filter replaced, new spark plugs, and a new chain and sprockets. I also had a new clutch basket that I got when I purchased the bike and I had that installed as well. The new clutch basket took care of the chudder problem.

I also bypassed the internal fuel filter and installed an external filter so that it can be easily and cheaply changed.

The bike is purring like a kitten now. Before it quit running it was making quite a racket.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #51928
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Alright I'm talkin!

This past Tuesday our own Alansz was WRR'n it over to see the new Honda CRF when he met a pickup truck mid-corner on a 1 lane dirt road. He cut right to miss it, but caught the bumper with his left leg.

Goal now is to leave the Hospital Sunday (Tomorrow).
Alan, I hope that you heal quickly!!

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #51929
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Sorry to hear about Alan. Best wishes on your recovery
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #51930
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
Glad to hear she's running again. Thats odd though.

Drunks are out in full force around Alliance. One coming at us, another in front of us. At least they look drunk being 2 feet left of center and off in the grass.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote