ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #52186
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post

The Road Rat and I toured part of the Mohawk Valley today. Dust was down, no road graders out. Had to get off and lower the tire pressures. Were able to connect 70 miles of just gravel - 10 miles or less pavement - that including 2 from the parking lot and 3 miles back to the lot. Didn't have time to get NE of Warsaw towards Killbuck - I'm sure we could have come up with an easy 100 miles of good gravel. Not bad for a such a little quadrant (only if you like to blast the back roads - it's an aquired taste of wanna-be flat trackers). If you don't enjoy that type of riding I would stay away for sure!

That's a real lighthouse - hand built by one. The old gent loves to talk about it and will allow you to tour it to the top. It's about 5 miles north of Warsaw - just keep riding around till you find it.

BTW - thanks Larry - had a good ride. We keep doing it till we get it right!
(get that foot peg welded . . . )
I've been by that lighthouse several times while tooling around connecting my place to the coal lands, I can never find it on purpose though.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #52187
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
There are no hills on 153! nothing a wheelchair couldn't scale. 44 south of St. Pete's is tough though. Lived off 153 a few years.

I'll be out your way the 16th
The hill by the now former pleasant grove elementary on 153. (Now a hole in the. ground) Not so big headed east. Kinda sucked pedaling it back when I was a kid.

44 also gets pretty fun by mapleton too. Doesn't last too long though. IIRC they took out the tree a while back that everyone painted. Even pilot knob got bulldozed after highschool. Its now a ruralburbia wanna be area.

Danjal screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:43 PM
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #52188
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Nice. Here's my new one a few hours after taking it out of the showroom. Bonus points if you can tell me where the pic was taken.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #52189
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Nice. Here's my new one a few hours after taking it out of the showroom. Bonus points if you can tell me where the pic was taken.

Later,
M
In as much time as I've spent riding in WV, I still haven't been to Rella's Bull and Bear on 219 outside of Marlinton and Sirianni's in Davis are probably my most frequent stops when I'm down that way.

Had a nice time chatting with you and the other riders in Marietta a few weeks ago. Happy with the Tiger so far?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #52190
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
In as much time as I've spent riding in WV, I still haven't been to Rella's, Bull and Bear on 219 outside of Marlinton and Sirianni's in Davis are probably my most frequent stops when I'm down that way.

Had a nice time chatting with you and the other riders in Marietta a few weeks ago. Happy with the Tiger so far?
Hey Tim, it was nice to see you again and talk about the bikes and rides. Yep, Rella's is one of the places we stop at once in a while. Have a few other favorites too, and Siriannis is one of them. Been there twice this year.

Tiger is packed and aimed for VT and NH. Blastoff time is tomorrow, er (now after midnight) later this morning. Partway stop for the first night is Wellsboro PA, home of the Wellsboro Diner. Then Bennington VT, home of the Blue Benn Diner. Love those little places up in the mountains ...

Later,
M
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #52191
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Hey Tim, it was nice to see you again and talk about the bikes and rides. Yep, Rella's is one of the places we stop at once in a while. Have a few other favorites too, and Siriannis is one of them. Been there twice this year.

Tiger is packed and aimed for VT and NH. Blastoff time is tomorrow, er (now after midnight) later this morning. Partway stop for the first night is Wellsboro PA, home of the Wellsboro Diner. Then Bennington VT, home of the Blue Benn Diner. Love those little places up in the mountains ...

Later,
M
Route 2 in mass was rather scenic if you get the chance also. Specifically around north Adams headed back east through the forests. Always wanted to go ride that one again when I wasn't working.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #52192
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Route 2 in mass was rather scenic if you get the chance also. Specifically around north Adams headed back east through the forests. Always wanted to go ride that one again when I wasn't working.
Yep, I've ridden it and the county roads to the north of it a few times from about North Adams over to I-91. Route 116 is another good one too. Nice riding in that area. Damn, I gotta stop lookin' at maps and get to sleep.

Later,
M
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #52193
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
[/URL]
NICE! Enjoy your mountain vacation!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #52194
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Solace sez:

"Here's my new one a few hours after taking it out of the showroom"

Good choice in a new ride The Tiger I got is making me smile every time I ride it
Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #52195
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Blatant advertising for a friend:

2006 CRF250X. One of my coworkers just switched to a KTM 250XC-W and is ready to part ways with his Honda.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3241519801.html

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #52196
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646

Hey rxcrider, how's the new dirt toy?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #52197
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:

Later,
M
Damn fine looking machine, let the farkling begin.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #52198
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
spot questions

I remember a year or two ago someone here went around buying up all the Spot devices at Best Buy and then resold them here so I guess this is as good a place as any to get some view points without pouring through endlessly boring technobabble elsewhere. So here goes - What's the service cost? Didn't some come with one year included in purchase price? Does it work under heavy tree canopy ? Do you mount it on bars or tuck it into a pocket? Does it have a mounting bracket? How long do regular alkaline batteries last? Is the computer interface (for those at home) easy to use? Any thing I missed that important? I'm not planning any grand adventure, just looking to give some peace of mind to those at home during solo rides. Thanks. -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #52199
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 765
Disclaimer... I have the 1st gen device.

I What's the service cost? Here $100 to $150/year

Didn't some come with one year included in purchase price? Mine did... look around.

Does it work under heavy tree canopy ? Works under a tree... needs a clear view of the Southern sky. If you GPS or XM radio doesn't work, neither will the SPOT.

Do you mount it on bars or tuck it into a pocket? Your choice. Some people say keep it on the bike so it stays with the bike but since you have to press the button to get help, most people think it should be accessible to you (after a wreck).

Does it have a mounting bracket? Mine has a clip... RAM Mounts sell a device to mount it.

How long do regular alkaline batteries last? Negative... use Lithium.

Is the computer interface (for those at home) easy to use? First Gen sucks. Being able to customize messages should help. My mailing list just gets my coordinates and the message that I need help.

Any thing I missed that important? It does take some time to start up... if you think you might need it, turn it on and keep it on you. I paid my bill and it has sat in my saddle bag all year.

I'm not planning any grand adventure, just looking to give some peace of mind to those at home during solo rides. Thanks. -Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #52200
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Wink Anyone up a a pint sized Adventure?

Right now it is looking like 45 miles of some paved and some gravel backroads south of Lancaster.

THE CATCH!

It will be on scooters or the equivelent.
I will be on my Chinese 150 daily rider
The reason for this is I really would like to meet many of you but due to my Xl600 being down and slowly rebuilt this is the best I can do for now.

So anyone want to me a local rider?
The date is to be decided, looking a sunday rain or shine.

Pete
Whats an Adventure without a challenge?
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote