ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #52201
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Got scooter, close by, don't know how much gravel I want to do with mine. Be happy to meet up and introduce you to some fellow riders.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #52202
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I'll include my answers that are different from above, but I also have a 1st gen.

Didn't some come with one year included in purchase price?
Bought mine used for half price, they're all over Ebay/Amazon for cheap now (1st gen.)

Does it work under heavy tree canopy?
Nope. I rode all around East of Tar Hallow last week, and you can see how few points it hit: Mikef5000.whereamIriding.com. Roughly 2 hits in about 2 hours of riding in heavy trees east of 327. They say that the Emergency signal is very different from the regular tracking signal, and it's more efficient in these conditions. No personal experience though.

Do you mount it on bars or tuck it into a pocket?
Most of the time I use a ram mount on my Bars, but I'm starting to just shove it in the top pocket of my Camel back now. There have been discussion related to this very question, and the answer is always simply personal preference.

How long do regular alkaline batteries last?
Not long at all, and they're not recommended. i use the uber expensive Energizer Ultimate Lithium (lasts 9x longer they say) and I'm extremely pleased with their life. 1 set easily lasted longer than my month long ride to AK, and that was using tracking 8-12 hours a day, and sending at least 1 OK message every day. Spread that out over a couple rides a week, and you're looking at just 2-3 pairs of batteries a year.

Is the computer interface (for those at home) easy to use?
I didn't have any issue setting it up on my end, but I didn't like the interface for others to watch me (didn't work on smartphones) so I spent a couple minutes setting up the free 'whereamIriding' page I linked to above. It works just fine on any computer or phone.

Any thing I missed that important?
Eh, not really. It's a simple device. I set it up in the computer once, and haven't looked at that part again. If I'm heading out on a solo ride, I turn mine on and shoot my girlfriend a text saying I'm riding with SPOT, and I know that someone is watching my back.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #52203
indypup
╭∩╮( Ί.Ί )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
I'd probably buy a Spot Connect if I were making a purchase today...

You have no Smartphone – buy Spot2
You don’t intend to purchase a Smartphone – buy Spot-2
You have a Smartphone but don’t want use a second device to make Spot work
You want the features offered by Spot2 and simplest operation – buy Spot2

You have a Smartphone and want to use it in conjunction with Spot Connect – Buy Connect
You have a need for more than the 10 contacts offered with Spot-2 since you can now get 10 groups with up to 50 contacts per group – Buy Connect
You want more 120 character fixed messages than offered by Spot2 – Buy Connect
You want the ability to send up to 41 character text messages on the fly anyplace in the world even when you have no cell service – Buy Connect
You are willing and able to deal with (2) separate devices – Buy Connect
One last thought, if you should decide to purchase Spot Connect, while it needs a Smartphone to function completely, the Spot Connect device will still provide you with SOS/911 function even if you have no Smartphone or your Smartphone is out of power.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #52204
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Got scooter, close by, don't know how much gravel I want to do with mine. Be happy to meet up and introduce you to some fellow riders.
Sounds great, Im open for route changes or even just a get together.
I work at Mr Tire on the drive
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #52205
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
blatant advertising for a friend:

js?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #52206
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post

How long do regular alkaline batteries last?

Not long, just ask my family and friends when mine stopped working on my trip, the phone lines were burning trying to find out why mine quit sending a signal in the middle of BFE. It wasn't bad enough I put the wrong batteries in, when I did put new ones in, I forgot to turn on the tracking function compounding the frenzy at home.

BTW, I hang mine from the strap on my camel back of the hoop First Gear conveniently attached to my jacket. Riding on the road I usually just snap it on the bike figuring more than likely a car is going to kill me and it wouldn't help me anyhow. I have the one button set to tell my family to get my last coordinate and bring my truck and tie downs :(

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #52207
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
I remember a year or two ago someone here went around buying up all the Spot devices at Best Buy and then resold them here so I guess this is as good a place as any to get some view points without pouring through endlessly boring technobabble elsewhere. So here goes - What's the service cost? Didn't some come with one year included in purchase price? Does it work under heavy tree canopy ? Do you mount it on bars or tuck it into a pocket? Does it have a mounting bracket? How long do regular alkaline batteries last? Is the computer interface (for those at home) easy to use? Any thing I missed that important? I'm not planning any grand adventure, just looking to give some peace of mind to those at home during solo rides. Thanks. -Mike

You may want to check out this one also http://www.delorme.com/
The nice thing about the delorme is two way communication.
We came upon a pretty bad crash on the Top of the world highway on our trip this summer and the guy's friend had the Delorme and had already activated it. While we were trying to figure out how to help the guy a text came in saying help was on the way. That was a relief.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #52208
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I'd probably buy a Spot Connect if I were making a purchase today...
Not me. All I use it for is tracking, with the occasional need to send out an ok/help/SOS message to a few select people. I'll take the simplicity and much better battery life (and lower initial cost) of the spot 1.

Now the 2 way communication of the delorme is a feature I could see being useful.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #52209
indypup
╭∩╮( Ί.Ί )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
NNow the 2 way communication of the delorme is a feature I could see being useful.
I agree, maybe when connect2 comes out it will have 2-way. lol now a 3-way would be even better.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #52210
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,653
cafe racer

Thought I would offer it here first. 1978 Honda CX500 ready to make into cafe racer. $650.
Turns out my knees won`t let me ride in that position.
Will need...
fork seals
seat pan finished
I think new coil on left.(left side not firing all the time)
and of course...paint job.
I just totally rebuilt both carbs

Call me and come see it...will wait a few days before listing it elsewhere.

Larry W.Menefee
614-436-9944
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #52211
SmartBomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
I remember a year or two ago someone here went around buying up all the Spot devices at Best Buy and then resold them here so I guess this is as good a place as any to get some view points without pouring through endlessly boring technobabble elsewhere.
I bought a Spot2 when they were on sale at Best Buy to replace my Spot1. I did this primarily for the reduced size and nicer button layout. Anyhow, my original Spot is unused and collecting dust. If you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping (or free if you will be in Akron anytime soon). You will just need to purchase the service and reactivate the device. If Mike passes on the offer, it is available to other ADV in OH members as well.
SmartBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #52212
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Question Friday ride

Anyone up for a ride on Friday? Probably gravel & backroads around Belmont & Harrison counties.I have the whole day free.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #52213
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonrider View Post
Anyone up for a ride on Friday? Probably gravel & backroads around Belmont & Harrison counties.I have the whole day free.
What time?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #52214
indypup
╭∩╮( Ί.Ί )╭∩╮

Where's Luke been? Did he shoot himself in the foot?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #52215
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thanks everyone to the "spot" info. -SmartBomb- thanks for the offer of your old one, but I think I'd prefer a newer one, so feel free to offer it to someone else. Interesting info on lack of tracking in tar hollow tree canopy and need for lithium batteries. Thanks -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote