ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #52321
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,507
I have to work this sunday...however, NEXT sunday...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #52322
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Guys,
the folks at the Athens Motorcycle club are doing a dual sport trail ride this Sunday. They are trying to raise some money to cover their property taxes. ( bike event turn-outs aren't what they used to be).
They have been around since 1934, and are having a tough year.

The dual sport ride will be around 100 miles. Plenty of trails, back roads, and nice Ohio woods. They are providing a nice lunch. Bring your own can of gas.

Hope some of you guys can make it out.

link to their page:
http://www.athensmotorcycleclub.com/id94.html
Hoping to be there, but family stuff may get in the way.

The treasurer of the Athens Motorcycle Club is a co-worker and close friend. They are having a pretty rough year financially, and could really use the support. AMC hosts some fun events, but turnout hasn't been great the last year or two.

dox screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 09:16 PM
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #52323
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Don't know if any of you Ohio boys know the Brintlingers from Galloway/Grove City. Twins, Dave & Darrell have been big motorcycle enthusiasts around Columbus for a long time. I have known them for about 25 years or so. Always smiling, always telling a story.

For the last 15+ years they have been officials with AMA Pro flat track. They were the guys that made the races happen. Dedicated, hard working & always excited about flat track. Neither could go more than a few seconds without a smile on their face.

Dave and his son Tyler were killed in a tragic traffic accident returning from Knoxville. Darrell was seriously injured in the accident.

Vaya Con Dios guys!

http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/news/index.cfm?cid=54655
Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #52324
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
Danville - Thursday or Friday - EARLY. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
The normal Danville area ride then?

i was talking about down south of Coshocton, the AEP mine area, lots of gravel and haul roads. I'm good with pretty much any day, weekdays are actually better.

Hey Matt - you'll have to get me down there. I've got a 950 and a 450 - which do you think is better suited for that AEP area that you ride? I've scratched around a little down by Will's Creek and east of Dresden - the Dresden / Adamsville area (that I know) haul roads are pretty wide open, as in WFO.

I think I read here you're now part of the Orange Crush - what model did you buy?

The 'normal Danville area ride' - I found to be some pretty good stuff - a lot of up/down hill from the Kokosing-Mohichan-Walhonding river to the ridge tops. Lot's of hills - not many houses. Few meth labs flunkies running to town for supplies. . .

You mentioned riding Thursday or Friday - where do you want to go and what time - I'm an early bird. What does it take to qualify as a 'super early bird'?

For anyone's information: the Athens Motorcycle Club Sunday dual sport ride - $30 with lunch. First bike out 9:30 am. 100 mile. Looks like perfect weather.
(see MotoDirtlover post above for link to Athens Motorcycle club info).

What's the Nutcracker entry fee? $55 ?
No need to choose - RIDE BOTH!

Let me know about riding Thursday / Friday - ANYONE ELSE?

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 05:43 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #52325
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Don't know if any of you Ohio boys know the Brintlingers from Galloway/Grove City. Twins, Dave & Darrell have been big motorcycle enthusiasts around Columbus for a long time. I have known
Dave and his son Tyler were killed in a tragic traffic accident returning from Knoxville. Darrell was seriously injured in the accident.

Vaya Con Dios guys!

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #52326
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Hey Matt - you'll have to get me down there. I've got a 950 and a 450 - which do you think is better suited for that AEP area? I've scratched around a little down by Will's Creek and east of Dresden - the Dresden / Adamsville area (that I know) haul roads are pretty wide open, as in WFO. I think I read here you're now part of the Orange Crush - what model did you buy?

The 'normal Danville area ride' - I found to be some pretty good stuff - a lot of up/down hill from the Kokosing-Mohichan-Walhonding river to the ridge tops. Lot's of hills - not many houses.

You mentioned riding Thursday or Friday - where do you want to go and what time - I'm an early bird. What does it take to qualify as a 'super early bird'?

I'm thinking about riding the Athens Motorcycle Club Sunday dual sport ride - $30 with lunch.
What's the Nutcracker entry fee? $55 ?

Let me know about riding Thursday / Friday - ANYONE ELSE?
I don't know the roads well, but I have been there a few time alone and once with the normal crew. There is a good combo of curvy gravel, torn up logging roads, abandoned roads, and quad tracks. It's pretty easy to connect to the Danville roads. I would take a 450, but that's just because I'm riding my KLR 250....

I'm not dogging the Danville roads, best free riding I have done, just curious what you had in mind. I'm getting pretty in tune with the roads and the trails there

I am Katoom owner, I have a 450SX that's plated and has some EXC and MXC parts thrown in for good measure. Not ready for long rides yet until I get rid of the motocross gearing.

I'm game to ride anywhere, would prefer not to get too deep trail wise as I'm on a mostly bald 244 and won't have time to swap on my knobby. I would prob leave my place around 7-7:30 after helping the Mrs. get the baby up. Not super early, but early compared to the usual noon start time it is, I'd like to be home by 2ish.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #52327
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I don't think I can get away for the Athens ride, but I'm planning on doing to Nutcracker

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #52328
sion
sigh-own

for those of us who could use some help with our off-road skills (and I KNOW I'm not the only one) there are classes taught by experts...which are expensive. instead of plunking down a lot of money (or maybe in preparation of same) you can read this very detailed description of Jimmy Lewis' off-road skills class:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/vacations/ji...005/index.html

and while reading about it is not the same as doing it, there's a lot of good info here that will help me become a better rider. I do want to do a class like this one day, in the meantime, I'll try to use what I can glean from this report.

now I just need to get my damned XR running so I can do some practicing.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #52329
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,032
You need to get a hold of Holycaveman on here. He can do a nice class for you to teach you the essentials. He's been helping Ohio inmates learn how to ride off-road for years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
for those of us who could use some help with our off-road skills (and I KNOW I'm not the only one) there are classes taught by experts...which are expensive. instead of plunking down a lot of money (or maybe in preparation of same) you can read this very detailed description of Jimmy Lewis' off-road skills class:

and while reading about it is not the same as doing it, there's a lot of good info here that will help me become a better rider. I do want to do a class like this one day, in the meantime, I'll try to use what I can glean from this report.

motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #52330
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post

Just play follow the leader with Meef and co...You will learn the skills you need or die in the woods....

Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #52331
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
You need to get a hold of Holycaveman on here. He can do a nice class for you to teach you the essentials. He's been helping Ohio inmates learn how to ride off-road for years....

I was gonna ask mgorman and some of you guys who've been at it for years and years if you'd ever thought of doing a class...one of the biggest reasons that I haven't taken one yet is that aside from being pricey, the ones I know about are all hundreds (or thousands) of miles away.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #52332
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Just play follow the leader with Meef and co...You will learn the skills you need or die in the woods....

I've followed Meef, Gorman and others around the woods a bit...mostly what I learned was that they are better than me...a controlled, structured class will teach more in a day or two than dozens of "follow me" rides can

seriously, read that link and tell me you didnt learn anything

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #52333
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,774
Another good option if you don't wanna pay for a class is to get Neduro's "Dual Sport Riding Techniques" DVD. I've interviewed Ned for my podcast, and he's a great dude and the DVD is a nice foundation for offroading. Even tho I was kind of familiar with most of the material, I picked up a few things and it's done well and laid out so anyone can grasp it.

Then, move on to Shane Watt's "Dirtwise" series of videos. I've got the first one, and while it's geared more for racing all the lessons apply...especially the body position and obstacle techniques. Watch them till you can quote it.

Practice, practice, practice.

Here's my free lesson:

There's no substitute for seat time and balls. You can know everything, and without the time in the saddle AND the chutzpah to twist the throttle and tackle tough obstacles you're not going to get any skills because mostly they're muscle memory. And, this what stops everyone I see from getting better, even myself sometimes: You are gonna fuck up and fall, and hurt your bike, and maybe yourself a little bit. Gonna happen, unavoidable, part of the game. If that's unpalatable, don't lament your lack of knowledge, it's not what's stopping you. Everything I can't do, from massive log-overs to big air, is because my brain is bigger than my balls. The things I can do, it's because at some point I decided "fuck it" and went and I kept doing it. Occasionally a big scary hill climb will kick my ass, but every time I pull it off I get better at them. I drill into my muscle memory to keep my eyes on the top of the hill and to peg that throttle, and to use my body weight to plant the rear tire. Knowing is great, doing is where you get it. You don't need to be fearless or risk your life, just willing to step a little outside your comfort zone.

The other thing I see more people get wrong than right is to buy a huge super tanker and try to acclimate themselves to dirt on a bike that even someone with mad skills will be handicapped with. A $14,000 Tiger XC is not the bike to learn your dirt skills on, and if you're never going to develop those skills why bother with an adventure bike at all?

Go to an organized dual sport, and you'll see maybe three guys out of 200 nuts enough to ride 600+cc bikes on them, Gorman, HC, rob748 and a few other loons. Everyone else is on super light race machines. There's a reason for that....big bikes are fucking HARD to ride in tight stuff, period, and 100 miles of that shit is for pros. If you wanna ride a cast iron stove through the woods, you'd better have years of riding under your belt or retard strength..because it takes skill and comfort to not wrestle the fuck out of that thing. If you're wanting to quickly find familiarity on the dirt, buy a used little 125 or a 2-smoke that's the weight of your 10-speed, and make all your mistakes on it. There's no downside to this, it's a fucking blast, and you'll gain more skill and confidence in one trail ride than a year putzing around backroads on a KLR, afraid to follow guys into the hairy shit. When you're done, sell the little bike and your skills will translate upwards. Or, keep it around for those dual sports. This is a mistake I made, then corrected. Moving down in bikes made me better, fast. A few weekends at Perry on a trail bike forced me into trail comfort, and forced my brain to accept looking up the trail instead of at my front tire. And, unlike most of the crap we do this is the kind of lesson that is fucking awesome. There were, and still are, lots of guys here who are happy to ride with you, work with you, even dig your bike out of a slop hole with you....and it's usually free. Hell, any one here, at any time (other than hunting season) is welcome to come play on my single track. It's not big, but it's got some well-thought out challenges to make you work.

I don't have much in the way of serious dirt skills, but everything I've learned has come from picking the bike up 10 times in failure, knowing the right way but drilling the muscle memory by twisting the throttle and going. Timidity is your enemy.

/lesson over.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #52334
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Don't know if any of you Ohio boys know the Brintlingers from Galloway/Grove City. Twins, Dave & Darrell have been big motorcycle enthusiasts around Columbus for a long time. I have known them for about 25 years or so. Always smiling, always telling a story.

For the last 15+ years they have been officials with AMA Pro flat track. They were the guys that made the races happen. Dedicated, hard working & always excited about flat track. Neither could go more than a few seconds without a smile on their face.

Vaya Con Dios guys!

That's very unfortunate. My thoughts with the surviving son and family.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #52335
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
I'm a poor offroad rider, and still very new to real dirt situations. Swingset's advice is about the best you can get, and I made the same mistakes about buying too large of a bike and wanting it to be something more. The DRZ is probably still a little too big, but I'm not sure I'd look right on anything much smaller

As Craig mentioned, Neduro's DVD's really are great, I have both of them and am happy to loan them out. Haven't gotten ahold of the dirtwise DVD's yet, but plan to in the near future.

The fear factor is definitely a big problem for me also. Something that really helps out with this is spending time on the local MX course. It's $15 a day to ride all day, but I'm usually worn out after 2 hours. The repetition and seat time while doing the same course over and over naturally pushes you towards learning what you and the bike are capable of. Hill climbs, deceivingly steep descents, trusting the tires, lean angles, speed/momentum, etc. It's slow going, and I'm on the wrong bike, but I learn a lot every time I ride there.