ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #52576
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
honestly, i think the wrr is about as "do all" as i've ever seen in this market...
+1
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #52577
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Anybody want this tire. Heidenau K60 110-80-19 approx. 10K on it but still a few K left
Yeah, sure I'll try it on the Strom if no one else wants it.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #52578
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
How much did you get out of the rear? Been thinking about getting a set of these for my GS after I burn off my Shinko's.
The same 10K. Just put on new anakee's today
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #52579
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 547
Todays Ride

Had fun today, It was very nice meeting more of the ADV-OH Buckeye crew.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #52580
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Had fun today, It was very nice meeting more of the ADV-OH Buckeye crew.

Ditto. Wish I could have continued on with you guys, but still had a decent ride home.
Thanks again

McTacticool screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 12:18 PM
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #52581
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Electric start 94 DR350? I'd guess it would do a "little" better off road than my KLR650, only looks to weigh 1/2 as much, how bad are they on the highway? I've done some reading and guys make them sound more desirable than a DRZ, any of y'all have experience on both?
I've been looking at/for WR250Rs, but wondering if a little larger bike would be a better fit.
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #52582
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Electric start 94 DR350? I'd guess it would do a "little" better off road than my KLR650, only looks to weigh 1/2 as much, how bad are they on the highway? I've done some reading and guys make them sound more desirable than a DRZ, any of y'all have experience on both?
I've been looking at/for WR250Rs, but wondering if a little larger bike would be a better fit.
My previous bike was a DR350 and it was replaced by a WR250.

My DR was the dirt model (kick only, better carb than the e-start) and had more low end grunt than the WR. Good bike for sure, but very outdated. Suspension needs major work to be a really good dual sport.

Bottom line, is a used WR $2000 better than a used DR? You bet. But the DR isn't a POS.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #52583
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
That illustrates my point fairly well. The Berg is...
Pretty much the same thing I said a bit back. Now the question is... how to get it all? Im figuring start light and add on. Little more fuel,more oil capacity. The rest is mechanical. If the motor isn't up to the task, then swap it or move on to other options. Im not one to be content with something unless its what I want. If nobody makes it, I'll build it. Which opens another can of worms up.. theres no reason to build a DR650 into a 10k machine that performs every bit as good as a KTM thats cheaper from the start.

So at the moment its trial and error.

The DR is a good bike. Very low maintenence, does dirt, does street. Its good on both, just not amazing. Ive just been pampered by full MX bikes and full street bikes. I know I wont have both in any platform, but having an enjoyable platform in both can be upgraded to better without sacrificing the other in some cases. My suspension sucked for both. Some valves and springs later its better for both. From here.. Its one way or the other. I left it too soft for street, too firm for off road. Not bad by any means, and TONS better than what it was, but either needs a bit of work to be perfect for that end of the spectrum. The same for gearing or power delivery. 15/42 gearing is too low for street IMO, and too high for dirt. Just a bit for each though, once again, im in the middle yet still tolerable. The FCR added tons of grunt down low, coupled with new on road manners and more torque for technical riding that I didnt have before, better overall. Could add in a 790 kit to enhance it. More torque doesnt hurt unless you cant control it. Off road could suffer from too much if I cant keep the wrist under control, street could greatly improve with the same drawback though. Back to trial and error there. Theres also limitations on the platform itself. The CDI is limited to about 7500 revs... meaning I couldnt ever build it for top end out of the motor. Something like a KTM that spins up to 10k... I could drop and raise the powerband all I wanted to for that mix that suited me best, so im a bit more limited. As is.. no real issue, just wish she had more Rs to string it out a bit more like the inline 4's im used to.

Forks can be cross platformed, engines can be stuffed in, welders, mills, and other tools can make stuff fit. Just to what price is it justified though. And at what point does it end up worse? Back to the trial and error bit I guess.

Danjal screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 12:56 PM
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #52584
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Pretty much the same thing I said a bit back. Now the question is... how to get it all. Im figuring start light and add on. Little more fuel,more oil capacity. The rest is mechanical. If the motor isn't up to the task, then swap or move on. Im not one to be content with something unless its what I want. If noone makes it, I'll build it.
If money is no object, then it's not impossible to get pretty close to a "do all".

I'd opt for the WR450 with some serious suspension and comfort mods before the Berg tho, if for no other reason than the aftermarket will be easier to come buy, cheaper, and the 5-valve WR is waaaay more robust. I think by the time you really invest in making the WR450 a super-adventure machine, you'd still be under the initial buy in of the Husaberg, and that savings will extend out over the course of ownership as I'd almost guarantee you'll be throwing less money at the Yammie than the Hoosa.

Plus, you can do this to a 450 with a little cash...and then you're talking some serious adventure legs that isn't really out there for the 570 that I'm aware of.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #52585
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,149
I looked at them. Still looking though, as is seems I'll be favoring the honda over the yamma though. Namely for the SOHC motor in the 450x/04-08 450r with divided oil reserves.. less money to rebuild the upper and less chance of damage if stuff does scatter. Id rather the x for the WR tranny too.

Im still in the middle of making a list for suitable "Could work" platforms. Still need to check price or ease of DIY mods. Im handy with machines like lathes, welders, etc, so making it isnt a problem.. just mostly easier to buy or cheaper in cases.

The reason for working up off a more MX platform.. its normally easier to add weight than it is to lose it. Reenforce the frame, change to steel subframes etc.. all viable options if the rest works out. In the case of the berg.. if the frame is the weak point.. might have to move on unless I can remedy it somehow.

Aftermarket is always great too. That was one of the main points for using the DR650 as my starter platform for my MK1 "Do all" bike. More than the honda or the Kiwi, and more options of what I was wanting or saw it needed. I can 790cc mine.. they're at 725cc unless I sleeve the cylinder on an xr and source a piston the deal with all the balancing issues etc.. easier to already have it done. Score another point for the Dr there vs the rest. Its working out, and its still in progress. Once its done I'll run the numbers again and move on or stick with it and begrudgingly accept it as close as I can get to my perfect model.

Nice setup wr BTW.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #52586
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post

Did you see 'flagger, meef, and I met the previous owner in the U.P.?

He told me last week about you 3 meeting Bob. I turned that bike down when I test rode it back when it was new. Then he put it up for sale and when I went back to buy it, had changed his mind. Then one day he saw me riding down at crow and I asked what he was going to do with it. I finally got it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #52587
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Husaberg fe570 - 276 wet. Lacking on fuel and oil capacity though with 2 gallons of go juice and still has e start.

I'd personally feel better using a de-tuned motor like an XR400 or XR650 (liquid cooled) over a race motor. Horsepower only gets people in trouble and bigger usually means heavier. I don't mind kicking over a thumper if it's a reliable starter like an XR400 or even my 640 that I had to kick over during my Michigan trip due to a broken spring in the starters sprague clutch. Plus when HP goes up, reliability goes down and who wants to drop a valve when banjo music is in the air?

I do have a strange fetish of building a KTM500 2 stroke Dual sport. I raced one of the last animals KTM made and that thing made more horse power than common sense for a 250 lb bike.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #52588
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:

Forks can be cross platformed, engines can be stuffed in, welders, mills, and other tools can make stuff fit. Just to what price is it justified though. And at what point does it end up worse? Back to the trial and error bit I guess.

It's fun, I built a '73 through '79 TL,CB,XR,XL,CR 100 through 185 Trials bike out of a bunch of junk yard bikes. Taught a couple people how to ride on it and did a trials event on it and used to do the follow on the parade lap at our clubs races on it too.

My current project is a FT500 Ascot dirt tracker for gravel road mischief, I have it apart and no time to finish it.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #52589
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
...and then you're talking some serious adventure legs that isn't really out there for the 570 that I'm aware of.
There is someone making big tanks for the Bergs.

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/vmchk/13-Husaberg/View-all-products.html

and check this thread for ways to part with your hard earned cash
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416713
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #52590
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I'd personally feel better using a de-tuned motor like an XR400 or XR650 (liquid cooled) over a race motor. Horsepower only gets people in trouble and bigger usually means heavier. I don't mind kicking over a thumper if it's a reliable starter like an XR400 or even my 640...
A KTM 640 would be my first choice for a do it all, but the XR650R can work and I think someone makes a e-start kit for it - baja designs maybe?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308529