ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #52666
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Saw that a few days ago, got overwhelmed, and pulled an Abe Simpson.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #52667
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
I like Los Jalapenos on Hamilton near Morse. El Rayo has been hit or miss with me.
That place is damn good too, didn't even think of it.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #52668
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,271
Another idea thread. Not as big.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754346

There's one in the garage section labeled as most useful tools too. Should give you quite a few ideas.

I know the feeling armyjoe. This place is loaded with info. Some of those guys pack more tools than most guys own. I see no reason to pack so heavy for most trips. Build your kit to suit.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #52669
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Mpenner, Tom (not on the board) and myself decided the best bike for today's ride was a KLR, as that's what we were all on..... We meandered around Morrow, Knox, Richland, Ashland, and Coshocton counties, ate at Peggy Sue's, and in general had a good time. We visited all the usual suspect roads and I can report that they are all still there.

Now that I have a bike that can get out of it's own way, I pulled a Meef several times and ran out ahead of the other guys to get some pictures...you know, for posterity and what not.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #52670
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I need to get back up to danville with ya'll!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #52671
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Some of those are a bit excessive, i'm not doing a valve job trailside. And stuff like carrying a spark plug on a thumper? Why? Multiple plugs for multi cylinder bikes? what are the odds you are going to need 4 plugs?

Meef's list is pretty comprehensive,I carry most of that and a PDF of the service manuals for my bikes on my phone. You will get a feel for what you need for your particular bike and skill set. A few basic hand tools (especially ones that can do multiple things in a pinch, like vice grips) a tube, a way to inflate and instal said tube, some wire, zip ties, tape, and you can macgyver most stuff on the trail to get home.

I carry:

Vice Grips
Crescent wrench
1/4 drive screwdriver
1/4 T handle
Sockets to fit the fasteners on my bike
Phillips and flat bit (used with a socket and the 1/4 drive and you have screwdrivers without having to carry them separately, the screwdriver can also double as an extension)
Open end wrenches for my bike, including a combo that has both front and rear axle nut sizes
Tire irons
21" tube (will work in the rear in a pinch)
Small patch kit
Valve core tool (on the spare tube valve stem)
Gutted 12V air compressor, it fits in my pocket
Cotter pins (various sizes, you can rig stuff up with them if needed)
Mechanics and safety wire
Zip ties
electrical tape
Small tube of Fasteel
stop leak
Hose clamps

All of this fits (or fit until I destroyed) in a tractor tool tube and in the factory soft case that was on the back of the KLR 250. I'm going to get a front fender bag for both of my other bikes for tire stuff, and the few tools that are bike specific, the generic stuff is going in the tank bag so I can just take it from bike to bike.

I need to add chain tools, and a first aid kit to my carry all the time, just havn't yet.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #52672
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Does anybody know a good place for Mexican food in C'bus over near the airport area?
I can help with you Greek - good Greek food. Real quality food, decent prices (and they have beer if that matters).

The Mad Greek - on the north side of east Broad - about 1/2 between Hamilton and James (right close to where ASK had a motorcyle shop.

It ain't Mexican, but I can recommend it.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #52673
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Bob,nice meeting you today . Travis and I got back to the pits and you had already split hope everything was ok.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #52674
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Quote:
Another idea thread. Not as big.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754346

I know the feeling armyjoe. This place is loaded with info. Some of those guys pack more tools than most guys own. I see no reason to pack so heavy for most trips. Build your kit to suit.
I found that the well accessorized fanny/tool bag I used to carry always found me repairing someone else's bike on the trail. I can't remember using my tool kit on my bike. . .
I provide the tools and the labor. . . parts if I have them. It's kinda like owning a pick-up truck on the first of each month - I provide the truck (and the labor).

Seriously - I go light as possible- at the end of 100 miles of on/off road, the bag can get heavy on my (bad) lower back (since I'm carrying the bag for someone else. . . )

I carry at least one wrench size for the basic metric fasteners. I carry open and closed end wrenches for the common, 8-10-12-13mm. Sometimes a over-tightened fastener needs more than a open-end wrench. (Snap-On makes neat little combo wrenches with open and closed for a particular size in one tool - get your wallet out).

I have an axle wrench (I cut off one end of a combo wrench). Allen wrenches as the bike calls for. An 'either/or' (Phillips/flat blade) screw driver. A knife, a little duct tape. Most importantly, if the bike has any really specific wrench/allen needs (odd-ball size) I try to have one of them. One other that I like is a small, needle-nose Vise-grip plier - it has proved very handy.

A note on the axle wrenches - when you get up to 20-22-24mm wrenches,many times you can substitute a SAE 1", 1-1/16", 1-1/8" combo wrench - maybe you can find those big wrenches at a garage sale - and then cut it in 2.

And a $20 bill. Amazing what that can do for you when you're 'out there'.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 03:38 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #52675
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

My pleasure meeting you -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
Bob,nice meeting you today . Travis and I got back to the pits and you had already split hope everything was ok.
No problems here other than I decided that the last 25 miles of single track (only) would have kicked my butt. So, I bagged it after lunch. I should ride off-road more often than twice this year to keep up to speed. . . I would have been trashed 1/2 way through the last 25 miles, and when you're tired, you (I. . .) start making mistakes. When I start making mistakes, I start getting hurt. I don't do hurt well.

I was supposed to ride with Indy Pup today and it turned out to be a comedy of errors. I let him lead into the first woods area - and I never caught up to him! He must have been bustin' out. He thought I was ahead of him, so he kept lagging back at the 'rest stops' to reunite. Somewhere along the way, I had passed him - one way or another - so we were chasing our own tails.

Great conditions today, great trail - there wasn't 40' of ruts on the course! The little bit of rain Logan had last night just turned the terrain to a condition between dry and mud - just mois,t broken dirt. Must have been only about 40' of real mud too! You don't find that combination too often.

How about the "Hero Hill" just before lunch? A course worker was directing traffic around 'a hill' at the rider's option, a by-pass as such. I though he said the by-pass was to the left - so I went left (puss that I am. . . ). It was my mistake and I started up that hill, and it went up and up and up (and then some!) I was thinking "if this is the puss by-pass I wonder what the manly-man hill was like!"

I knew Travis would be 'on the gas' (without even trying) and knew I wouldn't be seeing you guys doddering along the trail. Do you slow down for him or is it the other way around? There sure were a lot 2-strokes today - and a bunch of the new Husky 2-strokes. Those are for the 'go-getters'. Also, it was not a 'young crowd' there today - other than you guys. There were a lot of 'seasoned veterans' getting with it today. No pukes need apply.

Now I've got Travis' number - I'll get in touch and maybe I can take you guys trail riding down in Laurel Township. Tell Travis I said "Hey!" and thnx for covering my car keys.

It was good to see so many of the ADV riders down there today - can't pass up good riding when the weather starts getting right for riding!

Or naught. .

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 04:15 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #52676
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Some of those are a bit excessive, i'm not doing a valve job trailside. And stuff like carrying a spark plug on a thumper? Why? Multiple plugs for multi cylinder bikes? what are the odds you are going to need 4 plugs?
It's a throwback to the old 2 cycle days. Fouled plugs and all that. Nowdays one wont hurt taking,but its not necessary IMO.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #52677
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I found that the well accessorized fanny/tool bag I used to carry always found me repairing someone else's bike on the trail. I can't remember using my tool kit on my bike. . .
I provide the tools and the labor. . . parts if I have them. It's kinda like owning a pick-up truck on the first of each month - I provide the truck (and the labor).

Seriously - I go light as possible- at the end of 100 miles of on/off road, the bag can get heavy on my (bad) lower back

I carry at least one wrench size for the basic metric fasteners. I carry open and closed end wrenches for the common, 8-10-12-13mm. Sometimes a over-tightened fastener needs more than a open-end wrench. (Snap-On makes neat little combo wrenches with open and closed for a particular size in one tool - get your wallet out).

I have an axle wrench (I cut off one end of a combo wrench). Allen wrenches as the bike calls for. An 'either/or' (Phillips/flat blade) screw driver. A knife, a little duct tape. Most importantly, if the bike has any really specific wrench/allen needs (odd-ball size) I try to have one of them. One other that I like is a small, needle-nose Vise-grip plier - it has proved very handy.

A note on the axle wrenches - when you get up to 20-22-24mm wrenches,many times you can substitute a SAE 1", 1-1/16", 1-1/8" combo wrench - maybe you can find those big wrenches at a garage sale - and then cut it in 2.

And a $20 bill. Amazing what that can do for you when you're 'out there'.
Motion pro makes a set of spoons called t-6 that have axle nut sizes on them. They also make a rachet head that fits the hex size of the spoon. Kinda neat. Ive got a couple bolts that I need a thin socket to get to. I'd need to weigh it and run the practical use, but maybe sockets would be lighter.

With tools, I normally carry them, but assist in the labor. Some folks get pretty shitty and try blaming folks for helping them out. I'll do stuff to help, but I find it better to let them do their own maintenance so another failure is on them or the bike. I've had issues helping folks where other known issues weren't pointed out so they could be fixed to take care of the failing part(s). In instances where they don't know, I'll do it and teach.

Danjal screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 04:57 PM
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #52678
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I can help with you Greek - good Greek food. Real quality food, decent prices (and they have beer if that matters).

The Mad Greek - on the north side of east Broad - about 1/2 between Hamilton and James (right close to where ASK had a motorcyle shop.

It ain't Mexican, but I can recommend it.
How about yanni's on Cleveland? Greek not the music. I like mad Greek too but personally I might give a slight edge to yanni's. Maybe its the baclava. Got any other Greek spots?

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #52679
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
How about yanni's on Cleveland? Greek not the music. I like mad Greek too but personally I might give a slight edge to yanni's. Maybe its the baclava. Got any other Greek spots?

Baclava - and a real expresso.

Now that's breakfast when you're living right. . .
Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #52680
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
mgorman

I'm not cheap, you have to feed me and keep my gas tanks topped off.

At least some tools, you never know where danger lurks and in my case it was a 2" limb that busted my radiator. Made it 10 miles up to Sommerset, disassembled the 640A with a leatherman and a motion pro multi-tool, bypassed the broken radiator and finished the next 100+ miles home.

I usually have a can of fix-a-flat stashed some place, tubes and levers. So far I've only used one can a fix-a-flat and that was on a goldwing in North Dakota. The only reason I carry the tubes and fix-a-flat is to ensure I don't get a flat.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote