ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #52696
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Nice place good food ( not a life changing experience, but good)
Life changing Mexican can be found here: Los Guachos

Worth the drive. Every time.

For a proven life changing taco truck, try this: http://tacotruckscolumbus.com/2011/0...-el-fogoncito/

(Zach was insistent on taking me to lunch one day and he was acting not just trail bike buddy.....)

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 07:29 AM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #52697
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
All gloves can work with smart phones and ATM machines, all you need to do is lick the tip of your gloved finger beforehand. Just remember how many fingers touched that ATM before you lick twice, or use a 2nd finger. Fat winter gloves could be an exception but I know it works with my cycling and MX gloves.
Cool , never thought of that.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #52698
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
$1 in conductive thread, about 5 minutes of sewing a little bit on the tip of your gloves, and they're smart-phone friendly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conductive-T...item35bff90685

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #52699
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
All gloves can work with smart phones and ATM machines, all you need to do is lick the tip of your gloved finger beforehand. Just remember how many fingers touched that ATM before you lick twice, or use a 2nd finger. Fat winter gloves could be an exception but I know it works with my cycling and MX gloves.
My mx gloves work with my phone when they are dry. I've also noticed that latex palmed work gloves work as well, I considered getting some of that rubber tool handle dip and experimenting with it on my other gloves.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #52700
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
If anyone is bored in the area, I just realized that there are flat track races at the Marion County fairgrounds today at noon. I am gonna ride over with my son and see some of the fun.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #52701
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Got to get out today and spend some time on the new (to me) KTM. Had a few little issues to sort out when I got it from Kory, but nothing major just maintenance stuff and I'm still banged up..so I haven't gotten to really put it through its paces, but I did a hundred miles on the road and hit some trails here and there to see how she does. It's an '02, the last and best year of the RFS 520's. Says "SX" on the shrouds, but it's an EXC.

It's got a Rekluse clutch, which is very slick...I keep forgetting I don't need to clutch on every stop or slow-down in the tight stuff. Weird that I finally have a bike with a feather-light hydro clutch and it kind of doesn't matter. The only bummer with the Rekluse is it complicates valve checks a bit, but nothing too major just makes you rotate the crank with a wrench instead of the rear wheel...so you have to pop the stator cover. But valves are tappet so no more bucket/shims.

It's set up nice, about perfect for me. Makes gobs of power but it's not twitchy at all...in fact quite mild on the low end which is nice actually it's very usable, predictable power...you have to really hit the throttle to feel it, but once you do it's grin-inducing.

It's crazy light once you've ridden a DR or XRL or a heavy big-bore, it's tall and physically large so it still feels like a big beast but when you fling it or use a leg to hold it up you realize it's not really heavy at all. Will take getting used to that, but it's a good feeling bike offroad. It turns well, and it's easy to throttle the back end where you want it.

Needs a stabilizer tho, it's not super stable at speed...like my TTR was it gets the shakes up above 60. I'm pretty happy tho, seems to be a good bike for dual sporting and back roads, which is all I'm after.

I made another HDPE cutting board skid plate for it (the aluminum one that was on it was a PITA to get off and you have to take it off for every oil change). I got the idea for this from the new Cycra Full Armor plastic plates...they use jumbo zip ties to attach, and I have a mess of them. Makes taking it off and re-attaching a snap. So, I did a more intricate bend this time with "ears" to protect cases and stuff. Works really well, and it's quiet as can be.

Also made an overflow for the radiators (didn't have one stock, race bike lineage and all that), but for dual sporting it seems obvious to have a reservoir instead of dumping your excess on the ground. It's a $1.99 mixing syringe from Autozone, with some tubing and a chair cap. Works great, sucks right back in when it cools down.

You can see the skid plate in this pic too.

Pretty pleased, now I just need some saddle time.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #52702
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

The steering stabilizer makes it a completely different animal on the road, with mine on the "2" setting, it rides great. I am super interested in a Rekluse clutch, I might get myself one for Christmas.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #52703
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Ohio power

Anyone ever play at the AEP Recreation Lands?

This was today off of Coal hill.

87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice

Moparmanpete screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 03:11 PM Reason: added pic
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #52704
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

That Katoom looks sweet Craig! After how you describe it, I can see why people become a fan boy. It sounds like it would be tough to go back to a porker after that.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #52705
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

I had a great time with my son watching some good old fashioned flat tracking. He showed quite an interest once he seen kids his age running 60mph+ and backing it in the corners! Those little kids were flying! (On KTM's no less lol)
Crappy cell pic.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #52706
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Well, screw you to all the guys who rode the Nutcracker today. You suck, I hate you, etc.

Wanted to be there, but I was duty bound to perform my first marriage ceremony for a good friend of mine in Granville. Went pretty well too, there were no mysterious lightning strikes so the big man upstairs apparently does not object to my blasphemous encroachment on the minsterin business.

Ceremony was at a cool little hobby farm/B&B run by (prepare to pick your jaw up off the floor) a nice gay couple.

I did think about the dual sport, all damned day tho. Just as well, I'm still sporting a really screwed up throttle hand doubt I could have made it all the way through.

Ain't missing the Baby Burr tho.
Do you do exorcisms too? Have a couple of gremlins that I need to get rid of... Also, congrads on the new ride, I think I have seen that one a couple of times and pretty sweet ride!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #52707
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

It's got a Rekluse clutch, which is very slick...

That's a sweet ride Craig I didn't realize those clutches existed until I rode with kor.y a few years ago and I borrowed a friends ktm 450 with that clutch. What a difference it made in tight spots. Jealous

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #52708
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Anyone ever play at the AEP Recreation Lands?
If there's anyplace down there that you can legally get to on a motorcycle where I haven't already been, I'd like to go there.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #52709
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
If there's anyplace down there that you can legally get to on a motorcycle where I haven't already been, I'd like to go there.

Am I correct that a lot of the gravel roads in there are gated until deer season?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #52710
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Am I correct that a lot of the gravel roads in there are gated until deer season? __________________
I think you're probably right and they "open" some gates for deer gun.