ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #52876
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,123
So, I broke down and bought a real GPS....sorta...

Garmin Dakota 10, waterproof, somewhat easy to use, and cheap. I spend under $170 for the GPS, a RAM mount, and a cradle. I need to figure out thow to load maps and routes to it now... It's a bit smallish, but not too hard to see...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #52877
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Garmin Dakota 10, waterproof, somewhat easy to use, and cheap. I spend under $170 for the GPS, a RAM mount, and a cradle. I need to figure out thow to load maps and routes to it now... It's a bit smallish, but not too hard to see...

I'm assuming it connects via a USB cable to your computer and you can use BaseCamp to load stuff. Does it come with map updates?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #52878
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I'm assuming it connects via a USB cable to your computer and you can use BaseCamp to load stuff. Does it come with map updates?
Yes and yes, I installed Basecamp already, but I have never used it, so I need to poke around it some.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #52879
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 250
Quote:

I have been kicking around getting a 60csx. Haven't looked into the Dakota, but the price looks decent.
Let me know what ya think of it.
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #52880
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTacticool View Post
I have been kicking around getting a 60csx. Haven't looked into the Dakota, but the price looks decent.

I'm going to give it a test run tomorrow I think. I read reviews on about every GPS out there and decided for the limited amount I would use it, this one provided the best bang for the buck.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #52881
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:

Where did you get all that for 170 bucks?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #52882
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Amazon

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #52883
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
I'm going to give it a test run tomorrow I think. I read reviews on about every GPS out there and decided for the limited amount I would use it, this one provided the best bang for the buck.
I recognize that from a value point of view the Montana 6xx series might not score very high but I really like mine.

It performed flawlessly in the UP. At full brightness it was almost distracting when under the tree canopy. (disclaimer: mine is hooked to bike power via a Rugged Mount.)

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #52884
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I recognize that from a value point of view the Montana 6xx series might not score very high but I really like mine.

It performed flawlessly in the UP. At full brightness it was almost distracting when under the tree canopy. (disclaimer: mine is hooked to bike power via a Rugged Mount.)
In a prefect world, I would have no problem dropping $400+ on a GPS, and down the road, I may be able to justify it, really, I just need one as a quick reference as to where the hell I am at, and to be able to loosely follow a route. The Montana is a nice unit though.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #52885
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
I'm experimenting with using my Android as a GPS for the bike. So far it's doing everything pretty well.

I've been using Google's mapping for street travel, combining it with Ulysses Speedo (which overlays the maps or any other screen with your speed/direction) and taking advantage of the fact that you can pre-download maps when out of cell range. Offroad, I use Backcountry Navigator with the optional Accuterra TOPO maps (also useable when not in data range). It's a great package for $30 total...great maps, easy interface. You can overlay all kinds of maps with it, aerial maps, topo maps, all free....only the Accuterra is $20, but it's worth it for the trail maps and so forth.

Nice thing is the phone is a better receiver than my Garmins were...I still get 4-5 sat locks under canopy, something I never got with the 60 or etrex. I haven't found any serious limitations on it yet, other than it not being waterproof.

I have it mounted in an AquaBox on a RAM mount, which seems adequate and rugged. A little weird using the screen through the silicon screen protector thing, but not too bad. It's a PITA to take in and out tho, that's one thing that sucks when you stop.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #52886
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTacticool View Post
Hey - I've had a 60Cx for about 5 years. And I think it is the "PRODUCT". I've haven't tested other waters/products but this product I like.

2007 - it was about $350 discounted. Now they're about $550 (discounted) - - - they have bluetooth, the ability to share data port to portal with each other while having breakfast over the table, high resolution camera - none of which I need (yet...) I am really am dummy on this stuff - a real DUMMY - but if I can use it, it's useable. I use about 5% of it's ability. I have MapQuest - it was about $80 - but that was 2007.

As for Matt - $170 - I think that's a good deal. They get cheaper by the minute. I bet it does everything I need. I don't need a 'automobile GPS', the Garmin 60 Cx fits on my belt, runs off the bike power or 2-AA cell batteries.

I had to buy a MapQuest CD to download - I bought the topographic disc - East USA, West USA and Alaska/Hawaii. I don't need the city CD. Gives me all that I need. I think it would be good for hunters, campers and fisherwomen.

I do have to say - THE GPS HAS ENLARGED MY RIDING RANGE - BY 100! Certainly worth $1 or $2 hundred dollars.

Anyway - my 2 cents - minus inflation. . .

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 04:31 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #52887
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I was doing that, but my Thunderbolt refuses to lock on a location now. It's a known problem with them and there is no real fix for it. OsmAnd works great on the Droid, and I was using that method until my phone got flakey. I decided to go this route since it's waterproof and I feel like the Garmin will maybe hold up to the vibes a little better, I had to have a Thunderbolt replaced after my rattletrap 250 shook the charge port loose in it...

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #52888
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
I was doing that, but my Thunderbolt refuses to lock on a location now. It's a known problem with them and there is no real fix for it. OsmAnd works great on the Droid, and I was using that method until my phone got flakey. I decided to go this route since it's waterproof and I feel like the Garmin will maybe hold up to the vibes a little better, I had to have a Thunderbolt replaced after my rattletrap 250 shook the charge port loose in it...
That concerns me on the phone too, hopefully mine holds up.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #52889
r-3350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I've heard really good things about 50, which will take you most of the way to DC.
Yes, US 50 was a nice road in 1981. My new bride and and I took a Yamaha xs 750 to DC for our honeymoon. We took US 50 to DC and returned to Ohio on the PA turnpike. Carl
r-3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #52890
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-3350 View Post
Yes, US 50 was a nice road in 1981. My new bride and and I took a Yamaha xs 750 to DC for our honeymoon. We took US 50 to DC and returned to Ohio on the PA turnpike. Carl
That sounds like a great honeymoon and an even cooler bride!
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote