ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #52906
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
My two 60CSx units have been bulletproof. I prefer buttons to touchscreen when on the moto, but as mpenner mentioned the Nuvi 500/550 is a solid unit as well. My 60CSx screen is getting harder to read with time, but that's a failure of my eyes and not the GPS.

The Dakota and Oregon series are good units, Matt got a good buy on the Dakota 10. The only drawback to the Dakota 10 is that it has limited internal storage and no SD-card slot, so if you need larger maps or swap maps out a lot, the limited capacity could be an issue for you. If you're not worried about swapping maps that often or aren't wandering out of a certain area, the Dakota 10 is a great value.
What would be the next step up that has a micro SD slot?
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #52907
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,939
The Dakota 20 has one. Can pick them up for around $225
__________________
Never turn your back on Fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #52908
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Garmin - updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I would also like feedback. My Etrex is about to go titties up. Keeps powering down randomly, and losing sat lock.
Do you log into the Garmin site with your Etrex on a regular basis for their updates (clean-ups)? I didn't and mine was getting flaky. It would fail to lock onto the satellites when powering up.

They walked me through their up-dates - I was only 4 years behind. But, I think you can do the updating on-line with their instructions/queues.

And, Voila - things starting working like they used to.

Maybe this will help you - maybe not. It could help someone else.
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 08:17 AM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #52909
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
What would be the next step up that has a micro SD slot?
The Dakota 20, as was already mentioned, has the slot. Also, if you want to stay similar to what you already have, Garmin introduced a new line of Etrex models. The Etrex 20 is the modern equivalent to your Etrex Vista HCx. Can be had for 170 new, has MicroSD card slot and still uses the navigation stick interface rather than the touchscreen. We have about fifteen of the Etrex 20's here at work, and have been happy with them so far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Do you log into the Garmin site with your Etrex on a regular basis for their updates (clean-ups)? I didn't and mine was getting flaky. It would fail to lock onto the satellites when powering up.

They walked me through their up-dates - I was only 4 years behind. But, I think you can do the updating on-line with their instructions/queues.

And, Voila - things starting working like they used to.

Maybe this will help you - maybe not. It could help someone else.
Was having a similar problem on one of my 60CSx units after loading new maps or something. Losing sat lock and sometimes not making it past the initial boot screen. Firmware update did the trick for me as well, and is easy to do.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #52910
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser
 
mpenner's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Centerburg, OH
Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
What would be the next step up that has a micro SD slot?
The 60CSx has the microSD slot. For the 60C, the S means that it has a barometric altimeter and a magnetic compass and the x means that it has the micoSD slot. The 60CSx is a nice GPS that has a lot of functions like a Swiss Army knife, but I find the screen and buttons a bit small for the bike. I usually take one as a backup on a long trip.
__________________
Mike

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #52911
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,889
I have the Nuvi 550 and use it extensively. It works well for setting up basic routes and getting you from point A to point B (with a few via points), but it doesn't like importing tracks. I wouldn't recommend it for that type of riding, it's more useful for touring, or for after you've got yourself sufficiently lost, and it's time to get back to gas/home. I've used it with long detailed routes (like the TWVT), but I have to set it up as a custom route manually, which means adding point by point into a custom route (on the GPS), which is inconvenient and takes forever.

I took the S10 out yesterday to pass it's big 1-5.

Took a ferry ride (the Augusta ferry this week, hit the Fly/Sistersville ferry last week)


Eventually got there!


In 6 and a half months no less! I put less than 500 miles on my car in the same time.

Got home to find this:


Bummer! Fixed though:


I changed the air filter too, it wasn't near as bad as I anticipated:
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #52912
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
The 60CSx has the microSD slot. For the 60C, the S means that it has a barometric altimeter and a magnetic compass and the x means that it has the micoSD slot. The 60CSx is a nice GPS that has a lot of functions like a Swiss Army knife, but I find the screen and buttons a bit small for the bike. I usually take one as a backup on a long trip.
I'm reluctant to upgrade to the newer stuff due to the lack of rugged power connection. The new Mini USB stuff just doesn't seem that durable compared to the old round garmin power port.

What was special about the garmin hardwire cord you got for your Nuvi 500 that keeps it from disconnecting, etc?
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #52913
jimjim
Just another FF!
 
jimjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: oHIo
Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I changed the air filter too, it wasn't near as bad as I anticipated:
How big of a job is it to change the air filter on the tay-nay-ray?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #52914
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition
 
EJV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S10 n C'bus
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
How big of a job is it to change the air filter on the tay-nay-ray?

Piece of cake.

Remove / tilt fuel tank.
A few screws and the airbox opens right up.

EJ
__________________
The German scholars have improved Greek so much.
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #52915
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
Piece of cake.

Remove / tilt fuel tank.
A few screws and the airbox opens right up.

EJ
That sounds like what I have to do on ST13 and it's not a piece of cake. At least not the kind I like.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #52916
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition
 
EJV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S10 n C'bus
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
That sounds like what I have to do on ST13 and it's not a piece of cake. At least not the kind I like.

Well, what is the definition of cake? I didn't say fast.

I replaced the plugs at the same time, so it was all apart already.

EJ
__________________
The German scholars have improved Greek so much.
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #52917
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 963
I have the Zumo 660. It's weatherproof and the RAM mount allows me to move it between bikes. It won't do topo maps, so I'm not sure how it'll work offroad. I also have a Garmin eTrex for backpacking and geocaching.

Spyder



and WRR

__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #52918
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I have the Zumo 660...
I have the 665 and it's held up pretty good using it off-road on my WRR so far. I flipped over the handlebars during the Athens D/S ride and now have a bruise the size of the GPS on my stomach and it didn't come off the mount.

__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 01:08 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #52919
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,851
Nut Cracker 200 Dual Sport Ride Part 1

__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #52920
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser
 
mpenner's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Centerburg, OH
Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I have the Nuvi 550 and use it extensively. It works well for setting up basic routes and getting you from point A to point B (with a few via points), but it doesn't like importing tracks. I wouldn't recommend it for that type of riding, it's more useful for touring, or for after you've got yourself sufficiently lost, and it's time to get back to gas/home. I've used it with long detailed routes (like the TWVT), but I have to set it up as a custom route manually, which means adding point by point into a custom route (on the GPS), which is inconvenient and takes forever.
That is true about the 550 importing tracks. Strangely, I can download tracks into it using Mapsource, but I can not get them to display.

IIRC Basecamp will convert a track into a route very easily. That is what I did when I rode some of the TWVT this Spring.
__________________
Mike

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014