ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #52906
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
What would be the next step up that has a micro SD slot?
The 60CSx has the microSD slot. For the 60C, the S means that it has a barometric altimeter and a magnetic compass and the x means that it has the micoSD slot. The 60CSx is a nice GPS that has a lot of functions like a Swiss Army knife, but I find the screen and buttons a bit small for the bike. I usually take one as a backup on a long trip.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #52907
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I have the Nuvi 550 and use it extensively. It works well for setting up basic routes and getting you from point A to point B (with a few via points), but it doesn't like importing tracks. I wouldn't recommend it for that type of riding, it's more useful for touring, or for after you've got yourself sufficiently lost, and it's time to get back to gas/home. I've used it with long detailed routes (like the TWVT), but I have to set it up as a custom route manually, which means adding point by point into a custom route (on the GPS), which is inconvenient and takes forever.

I took the S10 out yesterday to pass it's big 1-5.

Took a ferry ride (the Augusta ferry this week, hit the Fly/Sistersville ferry last week)

Eventually got there!

In 6 and a half months no less! I put less than 500 miles on my car in the same time.

Got home to find this:

Bummer! Fixed though:

I changed the air filter too, it wasn't near as bad as I anticipated:
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #52908
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
The 60CSx has the microSD slot. For the 60C, the S means that it has a barometric altimeter and a magnetic compass and the x means that it has the micoSD slot. The 60CSx is a nice GPS that has a lot of functions like a Swiss Army knife, but I find the screen and buttons a bit small for the bike. I usually take one as a backup on a long trip.
I'm reluctant to upgrade to the newer stuff due to the lack of rugged power connection. The new Mini USB stuff just doesn't seem that durable compared to the old round garmin power port.

What was special about the garmin hardwire cord you got for your Nuvi 500 that keeps it from disconnecting, etc?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #52909
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I changed the air filter too, it wasn't near as bad as I anticipated:
How big of a job is it to change the air filter on the tay-nay-ray?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #52910
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post

Piece of cake.

Remove / tilt fuel tank.
A few screws and the airbox opens right up.

EJ
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #52911
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
Piece of cake.

Remove / tilt fuel tank.
A few screws and the airbox opens right up.

EJ
That sounds like what I have to do on ST13 and it's not a piece of cake. At least not the kind I like.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #52912
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
That sounds like what I have to do on ST13 and it's not a piece of cake. At least not the kind I like.

Well, what is the definition of cake? I didn't say fast.

I replaced the plugs at the same time, so it was all apart already.

EJ
Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #52913
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
I have the Zumo 660. It's weatherproof and the RAM mount allows me to move it between bikes. It won't do topo maps, so I'm not sure how it'll work offroad. I also have a Garmin eTrex for backpacking and geocaching.

Spyder

and WRR

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #52914
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I have the Zumo 660...
I have the 665 and it's held up pretty good using it off-road on my WRR so far. I flipped over the handlebars during the Athens D/S ride and now have a bruise the size of the GPS on my stomach and it didn't come off the mount.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 01:08 PM
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #52915
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Nut Cracker 200 Dual Sport Ride Part 1

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #52916
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I have the Nuvi 550 and use it extensively. It works well for setting up basic routes and getting you from point A to point B (with a few via points), but it doesn't like importing tracks. I wouldn't recommend it for that type of riding, it's more useful for touring, or for after you've got yourself sufficiently lost, and it's time to get back to gas/home. I've used it with long detailed routes (like the TWVT), but I have to set it up as a custom route manually, which means adding point by point into a custom route (on the GPS), which is inconvenient and takes forever.
That is true about the 550 importing tracks. Strangely, I can download tracks into it using Mapsource, but I can not get them to display.

IIRC Basecamp will convert a track into a route very easily. That is what I did when I rode some of the TWVT this Spring.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #52917
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
I'm reluctant to upgrade to the newer stuff due to the lack of rugged power connection. The new Mini USB stuff just doesn't seem that durable compared to the old round garmin power port.

What was special about the garmin hardwire cord you got for your Nuvi 500 that keeps it from disconnecting, etc?
There are 3 things that make it better. First there is no cig lighter adapter to shake loose (which seemed to be a big part of the problem). Second, the USB connector is just higher quality. Third, the USB connector is right angle so less torque is transmitted into the connection on each bump.

I put the kit on before I went to AK and I don't recall ever having a problem, where before it drove me nuts.

That being said the old round 4 pin power connector was better and the units that used it would take 12V directly rather than 5V like the Nuvis

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #52918
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Nothing, and I've killed one Nuvi because of this weak link. Surprisingly though, with this second Nuvi, I've killed 3 power cables, but not the power port on the GPS yet. I also don't like it, but I've made do. It's nice that, if I do kill a cable, like In Alaska just south of Denali National Park for example, most gas stations have a mini-USB car adapter. I've never had the cable 'fall out' though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Nothing really difficult about it, but it's more time consuming than I think it should be. That's most likely due to the fact that I'm used to Buells (4 screws and 4 snaps) and the WRR (2 screws and 1 snap).
You've got to pop off the side covers and seat: 4 quick turn fasteners, then 6 non-quick-turn fasteners
Unbolt the tank: 2 allen bolts
Tilt the tank up, then hold it somehow: I used a ratchet strap to the luggage rack
Then about a dozen screws hold the air box lid down, some harder to get to than others.

So what's that, about 24 different bolts/screws? Jeesh. Seems like an awful lot to me, but like I said, not difficult, so I'm just bitching to bitch. I haven't heard a single person report the spark plugs looked anything but fine when they replaced them, so I'm putting it off till I do the valve job and am already in there.

EJV (and S10 friends) have any of you done the air screw adjustment and throttle body sync? Mine isn't running as smooth as it did before, and I'm thinking about trying that. Nothing wrong with mine really, but it's supposed to be an improvement, and it's about free, so why not.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #52919
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
That is true about the 550 importing tracks. Strangely, I can download tracks into it using Mapsource, but I can not get them to display.
Make sure the color is turned on. I know when I first started messing with the GPS60c it would default to no color, making the tracks invisible.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #52920
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Anyone want to ride dirt Saturday? Maybe Tar Hollow stuff? KLR friendly or not...