ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #52996
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...road-rage.html

info
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #52997
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I've pulled my digital camera or cell phone out before and taken pictures or video of the vehicle and of them after being cut off and then having them slam on the brakes in front of me. It worked great because they knew I could identify them and I had evidence of the road rage incident taking place if they continued doing it. I've done this several times and they have all just moved on down the road and left me alone. I also slowed down and followed them when it happened on the interstate and they've sped up and moved on down the road...
The PLUS side of running video when riding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69dT5xX1uuI
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #52998
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
I've pulled my digital camera or cell phone out before and taken pictures or video of the vehicle and of them after being cut off and then having them slam on the brakes in front of me. It worked great because they knew I could identify them and I had evidence of the road rage incident taking place if they continued doing it. I've done this several times and they have all just moved on down the road and left me alone. I also slowed down and followed them when it happened on the interstate and they've sped up and moved on down the road...
The problem is that will not do shit. The LEOs have bigger fish to fry. You are on your own. Call the police for anything & see what happens.....They'll tell you to log onto their website & file a report.

I have never seen a state patrol car within 5 miles of my house ever until last Sunday afternoon. Then there are 4 of them zooming around like flies.....later found out one had high centered after tossing his car in a ditch about a half mile from my house. Those low berms are a bitch. They were all looking for their buddy that was in a "crash".

If I really needed a cop to show up quickly I would call 911 & say I shot one.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #52999
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
If I really needed a cop to show up quickly I would call 911 & say I shot one.
I think the whole time I've lived out here, almost 10 years, I've seen one sheriff roll down the street. I think he was lost though and quickly returned to Springfield. It's sort of funny on the weekends the amount of people out here target shooting. But with the number of break ins on the rise I understand. Some unlucky shit bag is gonna pick the wrong house and end up getting lead poisoning out here.
2006 KLR650

buildit screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 07:10 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #53000
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I see you are winning more brownie points with the LEO's that frequent here.
I believe Luke misread Scott's post, and I believe Scott's post was tongue in cheek and that he does not have any desire to shoot a cop; but that cops would respond quicker if they thought another cop was shot.

And it looks like Luke edited his post anyway so the only evidence is your quoted post...

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #53001
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post

Wheelie over that shit, yo.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #53002
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I see you are winning more brownie points with the LEO's that frequent here.
Only you would assume I meant a officer and not the criminal. But if you noticed I decided to change that post almost as fast as I posted it.

Yes, I assumed Scott meant had shot a criminal, not an LEO.
2006 KLR650
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #53003
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Well, under Ohio law as it was explained to me unless you are in imminent danger you're not justified to shoot or shoot at someone no matter what they might have done just moments before. The second you are NOT in danger the justification ends because you should be escaping. So even if the pickup had tried for the last hour to run him over or had even hit him, the moment he turned and chased the pickup he was in the wrong. I defer the true legal analysis to the professionals.
If you're pursuing someone to shoot them its not self defense. Once he chased it was over as sd.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #53004
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Well, under Ohio law as it was explained to me unless you are in imminent danger you're not justified to shoot or shoot at someone no matter what they might have done just moments before. The second you are NOT in danger the justification ends because you should be escaping. So even if the pickup had tried for the last hour to run him over or had even hit him, the moment he turned and chased the pickup he was in the wrong. I defer the true legal analysis to the professionals.
I think there is a lot of gray area in the law, even (espcially?) with the castle doctrine and it's extension to a vehicle.

In most any case of even a totally righteous self defense killing, the shooter can expect to be taken into custody by police pending a review of the case by the prosecutor and grand jury.

The defense you put forth, then, can make the difference between being charged and not. You would need to articulate in very specific terms what transpired to cause you to be in fear for your life; any attempts to reconcile the situation, call for help, or get away prior to the shooting; and even your post shooting actions - like calling for help, rendering first aid, etc. My advice in this regard if any of you should ever be in this position would be keep your mouth shut, make no statements of any sort to police, and immediately call a good attorney who deals with this sort of thing. Follow the advice of that attorney and let him issue any statements to the police on your behalf.

The real question, Luke, is whether you should carry your Glock chamber empty or not. Can you perhaps summarize the pros and cons of each style, in video format if possible?

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #53005
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
.....................Can you perhaps summarize the pros and cons of each style, in video format if possible?

Yeah, don't forget to include Gangsta Style in that video.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #53006
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
If you're pursuing someone to shoot them its not self defense. Once he chased it was over as sd.
Not always, and things are not always as they seem.

What if the truck driver was out of his vehicle, making verbal threats, then told the GS'er "I'm getting a gun and killing you!", and then began to run back to his truck? This after the road rage incident where the truck driver already displayed a tendency to violate laws and engage in aggressive, reckless, stalking, menacing, and assaultive behavior.

Would the biker be justified in going after the trucker and shooting at this point? The truck driver appears to be in retreat, and is currently unarmed. However, he has clearly demonstrated and voiced his intention to procure a weapon and kill the biker. Should the biker wait until the trucker gets the gun to engage him? Should the biker try and leave and then lose his ability to defend himself? Hard to dodge bullets even on a fast bike.

I would argue that this situation (as I presented) is a legitimate self defense shooting. I don't have enough info on the actual incident to render an opinion.

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 07:45 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #53007
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Perhaps this is what happened . . .

http://youtu.be/CbTZkZTYkaM?hd=1

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #53008
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVChic View Post
Interesting, your last posts were July 2010 in the tag thread. You dried up and went away and this brought you forth from your ADV sabbatical?

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #53009
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Interesting, your last posts were July 2010 in the tag thread. You dried up and went away and this brought you forth from your ADV sabbatical?
Yep, wanted to see what you guys were saying about the RR incident. I've lurked since July 2010, but didn't have much to add to the convo before today. This is unfortunate on all levels, and one we can all relate too. I agree with you MeefZah, good attorney and mouth shut is going to be the only defense. I also understand the law to be as buildit said . . .

Quote:
Perfect - this didn't take long "Ohio Democrats introduce bill to effectively kill concealed carry in Ohio" - http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8558. Obviously the proposed bill was in the works before today, but now they have fresh justification.

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #53010
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
You're welcome. I had a blast. I'll be driving down next Friday night and riding both days at the Baby Burr. Should be another great weekend.

You going to be on your husky?
yep - going through her from tip to tail and haven't found too many issues yet - she should last the weekend.