ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #53161
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Cute story.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #53162
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I also hear you're pretty good at doing a 180 degree turn on a narrow 2 track and not even hit the steering locks
Can't believe that was a year ago already.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #53163
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
I've been waiting for this market to boom since 1989! I almost bought a Cagiva Elephant to go with the Transalp but changed my mind sitting at the dealership. I tried to find a XR750 but that never happened either. Still would be cool to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Well I (obviously) agree, but the vast majority of average joes are going to look at spec sheets, see all the competition with 130-150 horsepower and the lowly S10 with only 110, and strike it off as not even a contender.

I'd rather them not change anything more than colors, so the aftermarket builds up nicely for mine. But I can see the direction this open class adventure category is heading, and the S10 is going to need an update to keep in line.
If you think about it, the vast majority of adv bikes never really see anything more than an occasional gravel road and in some cases only the grass where they're are washed so the only option is get something bigger because everyone knows bigger is better Most of the harder cored OC forum guys were hoping for a 690Adv or a 800Adv, not a bigger heavier beast. I was glad to see the new 1190 KTM still has an 18/21 wheel combo on the R version.

http://youtu.be/1Ee-SJMCBVU and the R version http://youtu.be/iGe2JLbZkFc

I didn't know the S10 was an 1200, I thought it was a 900 for some reason. Even with lower HP, of the S-10 for it's size, I think at and the F800, 800XC and the 950/990 are more than enough horsepower for the average rider. My 950 supposedly had 94 at one time, probably down around 84 by now. Heck, even my Transalp has sufficient power for 90% of what I do but rumor has it, the TA will have a stablemate in the spring to even out the Honda/KTM imbalance in the Garage.

Sadly though, in the next few years I'll probably replace my 950 with another 950 or 990, I just prefer street legal dirt bikes and after my last trip and what I put that thing through Saturday, while not the best bike out there, but after 60k hard miles, it is the best bike for me.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #53164
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post

A year ago last weekend! Had dinner with George and dad Monday, that trip was brought up in conversation. I remember when He and I came across the back roads up in the mountains we got caught in that snow that dropped 2"-3"

Let me know when you want to do one on the 640s

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #53165
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Crap, you are right! I was going to do another one this year in the hills of KY. I have been soo busy this summer/early fall that it hasn't even crossed my mind. I would only do another one after I have ridden and plotted the actual trails however, and that's not going to happen any time soon.

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #53166
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
OMFG, don't read this at 0-dark thirty in a tent full of sleeping Soldiers.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #53167
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
National Lampoons Sturgis Vacation?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #53168
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
A year ago last weekend! Had dinner with George and dad Monday, that trip was brought up in conversation. I remember when He and I came across the back roads up in the mountains we got caught in that snow that dropped 2"-3"

Let me know when you want to do one on the 640s
Wish I could. Just not in the cards this season with the new baby. I can't get past the guilt of doing an overnighter yet, since my wife needs the emotional and physical support on the weekends. Things are steadily getting easier though, other than this cold that baby and mom have this week. I'm grateful to get out twice a week to mountain bike. I might even get the Husaberg out this weekend.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #53169
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Anyone game for a gravel/trail day one day towards the end of next week?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #53170
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Sounds good for me, depending on my schedule. Weekend is good, I know that.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #53171
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Sounds good for me, depending on my schedule. Weekend is good, I know that.
My weekends are full because thats the only time I can recruit friends to help with the addition.

I keep forgeting to ask, to you still have the swingset?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #53172
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 921
Holy Cow.

So, here I am cruising along 270 East on the way home on the Northwest Side. It is about 4:40ish. I make my way from the right lane over to the far left and slide in behind some Cruiser Style bike. Traffic is typical for the time (and four lanes). Doing about 60. I am staggered to the right, he is ahead to the left. Next thing you know, right on daily queue, about a half mile before 315, brake lights flash. Normal, no biggie.

Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

The individual then gets up and drags the bike to the shoulder. At this point, I slowly make my way off to make sure he is ok. Traffic then starts to move. He spends time banging the mirror back into place. He looked pretty scraped up. Hands, pant leg, jacket was toast. It was interesting as I sat there on the shoulder, watching cars swerve from running over his face-shield that was in the lane. I waited until he got his bearings. He started rolling, I got back on and "slowed traffic" so he could merge in ahead, he then rode off.

So, that was freaky. Never saw that before.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #53173
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
My weekends are full because thats the only time I can recruit friends to help with the addition.

I keep forgeting to ask, to you still have the swingset?
I'm slave to the wife unless someone cancels on her, M-F, so I'll have to just show if I'm free.

Yeah, swingset still has the swingset....and it's all yours if ya want it.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #53174
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Like Thursday perhaps???
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #53175
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
So, here I am cruising along 270 East on the way home on the Northwest Side. It is about 4:40ish. I make my way from the right lane over to the far left and slide in behind some Cruiser Style bike. Traffic is typical for the time (and four lanes). Doing about 60. I am staggered to the right, he is ahead to the left. Next thing you know, right on daily queue, about a half mile before 315, brake lights flash. Normal, no biggie.

Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

The individual then gets up and drags the bike to the shoulder. At this point, I slowly make my way off to make sure he is ok. Traffic then starts to move. He spends time banging the mirror back into place. He looked pretty scraped up. Hands, pant leg, jacket was toast. It was interesting as I sat there on the shoulder, watching cars swerve from running over his face-shield that was in the lane. I waited until he got his bearings. He started rolling, I got back on and "slowed traffic" so he could merge in ahead, he then rode off.

So, that was freaky. Never saw that before.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ
Dang. I had to be going through there close to that time on my bike. That had to be freaky. Glad you didn't pile up

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote