ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #53176
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition
 
EJV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S10 n C'bus
Oddometer: 916
Holy Cow.

So, here I am cruising along 270 East on the way home on the Northwest Side. It is about 4:40ish. I make my way from the right lane over to the far left and slide in behind some Cruiser Style bike. Traffic is typical for the time (and four lanes). Doing about 60. I am staggered to the right, he is ahead to the left. Next thing you know, right on daily queue, about a half mile before 315, brake lights flash. Normal, no biggie.

Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

The individual then gets up and drags the bike to the shoulder. At this point, I slowly make my way off to make sure he is ok. Traffic then starts to move. He spends time banging the mirror back into place. He looked pretty scraped up. Hands, pant leg, jacket was toast. It was interesting as I sat there on the shoulder, watching cars swerve from running over his face-shield that was in the lane. I waited until he got his bearings. He started rolling, I got back on and "slowed traffic" so he could merge in ahead, he then rode off.

So, that was freaky. Never saw that before.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ
__________________
The German scholars have improved Greek so much.
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #53177
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
My weekends are full because thats the only time I can recruit friends to help with the addition.

I keep forgeting to ask, to you still have the swingset?
I'm slave to the wife unless someone cancels on her, M-F, so I'll have to just show if I'm free.

Yeah, swingset still has the swingset....and it's all yours if ya want it.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #53178
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Anyone game for a gravel/trail day one day towards the end of next week?
Like Thursday perhaps???
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #53179
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe
 
dragoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Frazeysburg, OH
Oddometer: 22,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
So, here I am cruising along 270 East on the way home on the Northwest Side. It is about 4:40ish. I make my way from the right lane over to the far left and slide in behind some Cruiser Style bike. Traffic is typical for the time (and four lanes). Doing about 60. I am staggered to the right, he is ahead to the left. Next thing you know, right on daily queue, about a half mile before 315, brake lights flash. Normal, no biggie.

Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

The individual then gets up and drags the bike to the shoulder. At this point, I slowly make my way off to make sure he is ok. Traffic then starts to move. He spends time banging the mirror back into place. He looked pretty scraped up. Hands, pant leg, jacket was toast. It was interesting as I sat there on the shoulder, watching cars swerve from running over his face-shield that was in the lane. I waited until he got his bearings. He started rolling, I got back on and "slowed traffic" so he could merge in ahead, he then rode off.

So, that was freaky. Never saw that before.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ
Dang. I had to be going through there close to that time on my bike. That had to be freaky. Glad you didn't pile up
__________________
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
- Misery Goat


daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #53180
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
EJ - freaky to watch and yet awesome at the same time, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Anyone game for a gravel/trail day one day towards the end of next week?
I may be around depending on day and destination.

My poor WR needs some exercise.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #53181
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
EJ - freaky to watch and yet awesome at the same time, no?
Like water sports porn.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #53182
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,763
What is a motoathlon?



Maybe another sport you won't see on ESPN. :
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #53183
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition
 
EJV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: S10 n C'bus
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
EJ - freaky to watch and yet awesome at the same time, no? .


Yes! Amazing watching it unfold from only several feet away. Amazement and Holy Crap at the same time! More exciting than a train wreck.

Goonie, the seriousness set in as I watched him get settled back in. If I followed closer, I would have run him over.
__________________
The German scholars have improved Greek so much.
EJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #53184
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I'm slave to the wife unless someone cancels on her, M-F, so I'll have to just show if I'm free.

Yeah, swingset still has the swingset....and it's all yours if ya want it.
I do, I was waiting on my half a gooseneck to get freed up so we wouldn't have to disassemble the swingset, but it's tied up hauling grain bin parts. It should fit on my mow trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Like Thursday perhaps???
A definite maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post



I may be around depending on day and destination.

My poor WR needs some exercise.
I was thinking thursday to cater to Mike's schedule, but I'm pretty open to Wednesday and beyond. If you want to bring out the Meef shenanigans, I'll leave the black pig at home and bring my now knobbied 250.
__________________
Never turn your back on Fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #53185
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
What is a motoathlon?



Maybe another sport you won't see on ESPN. :
Glad to see you implementing viewers suggestions.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #53186
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Glad to see you implementing viewers suggestions.
It was never a matter of not wanting to do it, it was a matter of making it safe and not look wreckless. Obviously I was not pushing any great speeds but I slipped up on the lack of gear.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #53187
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
What is a motoathlon?



Maybe another sport you won't see on ESPN. :

dude, you really need a fulltime job...you've got way too much free time on your hands

the ironic thing about this moto-athlon concept is that back in the day, when ESPN was first getting started, they'd show ANYTHING that was even remotely sporting...this could have been on tv
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #53188
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
dude, you really need a fulltime job...you've got way too much free time on your hands

the ironic thing about this moto-athlon concept is that back in the day, when ESPN was first getting started, they'd show ANYTHING that was even remotely sporting...this could have been on tv
I'm thinking X Games!
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #53189
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I'm thinking X Games!

for X Games I think you're going to need to do the shooting while riding the bike...no stopping
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #53190
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
for X Games I think you're going to need to do the shooting while riding the bike...no stopping
Now on the other hand, stopping is allowed for the Olympics.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014