ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #53191
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I giggled that you had a helmet on for that. If it wasnt for hot shell casings, I would ride that field naked shooting an Uzi.

now there's a mental image none of us needed

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #53192
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrtybyrd View Post
I wonder if Jim Stillwagon did training like this?
Obviously not, he wanted to pistol whip the guy.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #53193
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrtybyrd View Post
I wonder if Jim Stillwagon did training like this?
If he had moved that slowly the truck driver would have snatched his G-lock from him and shoved it right up ol '68 Buckeye's arse.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #53194
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
So, here I am cruising along 270 East on the way home on the Northwest Side. It is about 4:40ish. I make my way from the right lane over to the far left and slide in behind some Cruiser Style bike. Traffic is typical for the time (and four lanes). Doing about 60. I am staggered to the right, he is ahead to the left. Next thing you know, right on daily queue, about a half mile before 315, brake lights flash. Normal, no biggie.

Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

The individual then gets up and drags the bike to the shoulder. At this point, I slowly make my way off to make sure he is ok. Traffic then starts to move. He spends time banging the mirror back into place. He looked pretty scraped up. Hands, pant leg, jacket was toast. It was interesting as I sat there on the shoulder, watching cars swerve from running over his face-shield that was in the lane. I waited until he got his bearings. He started rolling, I got back on and "slowed traffic" so he could merge in ahead, he then rode off.

So, that was freaky. Never saw that before.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ

this the guy?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #53195
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
Well. Appeared someone, not me, grabbed a large handful of (front) brakes. Down he goes, tossed off, following the bike riding the pavement on his @ss. I am slowing now, watching the car behind me get realllly close, and the rider put his non-gloved right hand down (for stability?). He quickly decided to stop doing that. I am now stopped, as is the car behind me. The lane to our right is also now completely stopped, probably freaking out from what they just saw. The second car behind me ended up on the left shoulder a little. Pretty freaky.

Ride safe. Be (more) aware. Wear gear. Gloves, use them.

EJ
He'll be telling his buddies at bike night that he "layed her down to avoid an accident" ...
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #53196
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 635
Fyi

NEW! CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #53197
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Guns are really dangerous. There is no way to keep them out of the hands of bad people and when good people have them they often turn bad.....it must be some ego, powertrip thing.

People should have to turn in all the guns and we should only allow them to be sold to the police and military.....who else really has a legitimate purpose for them..............seriously? who else?

This BS about needing them to protect you from bad guys? Hogwash! if we just get rid of guns the bad guys will not have them.

Let's hope the right leadership is in place for the next four years. I think great strides can & will be made to eradicate this tragic problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #53198
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
He'll be telling his buddies at bike night that he "layed her down to avoid an accident" ...
, yeah that's what I do in the woods all the time to avoid those trees.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #53199
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Took the wrr out for the first time in a few weeks and found the Tar Hallow area covered in ERA arrows and signs.

Enduro riders associatio? The trails still looked untouched, so it must be for a race tomorrow? I even saw arrow to the hardest 'road' I know down there, but they were a different color and said 'enduro loop'.

In any case, how is it that I always find new challenges at the end of the day when I turn to head home? Had to ride down this gorge to get under a fallen tree, it was 5' deep in places, and tight enough to fold up my pegs and scrape the bark busters.

It was awesome once I got through, but the road ended in a backyard, so I had to make a quick escape and won't be able to revisit it.

It was good to see some of the previously wet areas getting wet again, and the leaves are beginning to change.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #53200
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Guns are really dangerous. There is no way to keep them out of the hands of bad people and when good people have them they often turn bad.....it must be some ego, powertrip thing.

People should have to turn in all the guns and we should only allow them to be sold to the police and military.....who else really has a legitimate purpose for them..............seriously? who else?

This BS about needing them to protect you from bad guys? Hogwash! if we just get rid of guns the bad guys will not have them.

Let's hope the right leadership is in place for the next four years. I think great strides can & will be made to eradicate this tragic problem.
And while that coming from you is as funny as Gorman posting about how all single track should be widened to 4 lane roads or Meef doing his own Gundam style dance video, I'm sure somewhere a liberal just had an out of body experience.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #53201
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Meef doing his own Gundam style dance video,
Wouldn't it be a Goddamn style video from Meef?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #53202
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post

[FONT=verdana][SIZE=-1]NEW! CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer

Got a glimpse of that last week when Honda announced they are back in Dakar with a full factory effort and casually mentioned, they were in it to win it, they weren't playing around. Glad to see them back in the game, maybe it will inspire them to go forth and make a real dual sport or rally bike for the masses without the $30k price tag of the KTM 450 Rally.

What is sad is the NX250 was part way there and had a liquid colled 250 thumper in it, why that motor never made it to the XR line, only Honda knows.

Speaking of Dual Sports.. The KTM 1190R Adv is mysteriously missing from the 2013 line up and only available in Europe. I guess I'll be looking for a used 9X0

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #53203
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Oh, I also wanted to add a Tenere update:

A couple people have asked me about the Clutch Switch Mod. I tried it once a few months ago, but tested it looking for more mid-top end power (the S10 forum thread about it claims 15+ horsepower). I did an easily repeatable test, and found no difference at all, so I pulled it. Now since it came up again, I tried again, this time simply riding normal. It does smooth out my normal releasing of the clutch in 1st gear noticeably, and perhaps adds a bit more low end to 1st and 2nd, but I noticed no dramatic difference other than that 1st gear clutch release smoothness.

I added the brightest headlight bulbs you can get just this week; 4500k 55w HID's. They are freaking awesome! The projector lenses and the high beam cutoff work perfect, and they throw just tons of light out front. I'm very pleased.

I also added a generic low pitch horn (to compliment the stock pansy high pitch horn). It didn't work out so well. I'm not sure if its the non-match low-high pitches, or whether it can't handle powering both when it's only meant for one (not likely), but it came out reminding me of this:
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #53204
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
NEW! CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer

ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #53205
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben