ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #53206
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
invisible monster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Perry County, OH
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Guns are really dangerous. There is no way to keep them out of the hands of bad people and when good people have them they often turn bad.....it must be some ego, powertrip thing.

People should have to turn in all the guns and we should only allow them to be sold to the police and military.....who else really has a legitimate purpose for them..............seriously? who else?

This BS about needing them to protect you from bad guys? Hogwash! if we just get rid of guns the bad guys will not have them.

Let's hope the right leadership is in place for the next four years. I think great strides can & will be made to eradicate this tragic problem.

I'm hoping this is some sort of misguided attempt at sarcasm
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #53207
Oceanbum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oceanbum's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Guns are really dangerous. There is no way to keep them out of the hands of bad people and when good people have them they often turn bad.....it must be some ego, powertrip thing.

People should have to turn in all the guns and we should only allow them to be sold to the police and military.....who else really has a legitimate purpose for them..............seriously? who else?

This BS about needing them to protect you from bad guys? Hogwash! if we just get rid of guns the bad guys will not have them.

Let's hope the right leadership is in place for the next four years. I think great strides can & will be made to eradicate this tragic problem.
You forgot your " Heil Hitler ! " "
__________________
"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." Benjamin Franklin
Oceanbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #53208
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Hey Swingset... you recently posted about a second version of your cutting board skid plate (can't find the post now), but you had a black cutting board. Where'd you find that? I'm thinking it's time for a skid plate on the WRR, and I'd like to try this. What tool do you use for the curved cuts?
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #53209
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,316
I need to ride up to Lodi tomorrow AM to pick something up.

I am probably going to do (street) backroads from the Fredericktown area up to Lodi tomorrow AM. Plan to leave about 8:00 AM or so.

I'll probably grab some lunch at the cool deli I found in Akron or if I am feeling ambitious the B Spot in Strongsville.

Plan on being back in the Fredericktown area at 4 PM or so at the latest.

Let me know if anyone feels like tagging along, should be a nice (cool) ride...The leaves are really starting to change.

The place I am going sells stuff that goes bang. If this bothers you you should not go.


Should be less than 200 miles total.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #53210
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joec63's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Olmsted Twnshp, OH
Oddometer: 279


Quote:
Originally Posted by scqtt View Post

the place i am going sells stuff that goes bang. If this bothers you you should not go.

.
__________________
________
Semper Fi
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #53211
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,316
I should probably add that I am not leaving my house on a bike at 40 degrees & steady rain.

Just saying.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #53212
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I should probably add that I am not leaving my house on a bike at 40 degrees & steady rain.

Just saying.
So the trip starts Sunday?
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #53213
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Hey Swingset... you recently posted about a second version of your cutting board skid plate (can't find the post now), but you had a black cutting board. Where'd you find that? I'm thinking it's time for a skid plate on the WRR, and I'd like to try this. What tool do you use for the curved cuts?
I got it at Target (Easton). Was $11 I think, biggest one they sell.

I used a fine-tooth jig saw blade to cut the curves. Since you can't "weld" or do complex bends, the "ears" need to align across the plate, where they go back to meet the frame, if you can picture what I mean.

Then you can heat and fold the ears up around the frame and provide some side protection. If you do it without the "ears" (mx-style skid plate) it's much easier...you're just bending the whole thing to wrap.

I mocked it up with a poster board and figured out my bends and cut-outs before hand, then clamped the cutting board with two pieces of wood and did the heating/bending. You want it hot enough (on both sides of the plastic) that it starts to get shiny, but not enough that it bubbles, and then you apply some firm pressure. While you have it held, cold water will speed up the setting of the bend.

Practice this on a scrap piece and you'll have it figured out...it's pretty forgiving stuff....and easy to cut and drill, too.

If you want help doing it, lemme know.

Here's the pic again so you can see what I mean about the "ears" lining up with the bends.

__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #53214
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
NEW! CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer


With the exception of the useless roost guards for your hands, that thing is sweet
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #53215
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I got it at Target (Easton)....
I used a fine-tooth jig saw blade to cut the curves....
Here's the pic again....

Great! Found it online:


I'll give it a shot first. If I fail I'll shoot you a request for further assistance on round 2.

Thanks!
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #53216
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Great! Found it online:


I'll give it a shot first. If I fail I'll shoot you a request for further assistance on round 2.

Thanks!
I think that's it. It's about 17-18" long, which is about perfect.

It's not a painful experience if you botch it, you could build it 4 times and still be half price of some of the aluminum ones. Attachment methods can be anything you like. 1" pipe clamps with a nut welded to them is a popular option, I chose .zip ties cause they're easy and there's very little room under my motor.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #53217
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Benly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Anyone game for a gravel/trail day one day towards the end of next week?
Im taking a couple days off work the tail end of next week, so I am defiantly up for some type of riding. More than one day if folks are interested.
What are you thinking: DS or adventure bike? Close to you or SE Ohio?
Benly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #53218
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,755
BTW, anyone who did the quarry trails under the 13/657 bridge in Newark with me knows the area I'm talking about, but I just did a quick run exploring there again. The spring monsoon changed the river a lot, you can cross it 4 or 5 times where it's wide and only about 12" deep...quads have been using it.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #53219
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I think that's it. It's about 17-18" long, which is about perfect.

It's not a painful experience if you botch it, you could build it 4 times and still be half price of some of the aluminum ones. Attachment methods can be anything you like. 1" pipe clamps with a nut welded to them is a popular option, I chose .zip ties cause they're easy and there's very little room under my motor.
How do you form it or bend it? Heat it up?
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #53220
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
How do you form it or bend it? Heat it up?
Yup, heat gun.




In other news, I figured out it's the Baby Burr that's going to be attacking my regular trails/roads this weekend (not that they're mine). I guess I just assumed that was out by Burr Oak, as opposed to Tar Hollow. 200 miles down there would be one hell of a good ride! My usual ride is about 60 miles of off road (and connectors), along with the 110 or so miles there and back.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014