ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #53281
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I am absolutely fine with Tar Hallow.
Me too. Actually that would be my preferred place to ride.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #53282
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
this is kinda cool...if you have the Google Earth Plugin installed in your browser, you can view virtual 3D tours of a selected route in Google Maps

get it here: http://www.google.com/earth/explore/...ts/plugin.html

heres the first leg of my Big Hock Hollow Ride:

http://goo.gl/maps/iFNfz

...look on the left side where the directions are, look for the big blue button that says Get Directions...below that you'll see "Driving directions to OH-56 W" and to the right of that is a little 3D button...click that and enjoy the ride

takes about 5 minutes

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #53283
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I am absolutely fine with Tar Hallow.
It's supposed to be pouring rain and -20 on Thursday.

(I'm just hoping, slightly, that this is true so I don't sit at work stewing in resentment)

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #53284
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

(I'm just hoping, slightly, that this is true so I don't sit at work stewing in resentment)

Today Oct 8

59F
34F
Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
SSE at 8 mph
Details

Tue Oct 9

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
S at 11 mph
Details

Wed Oct 10

AM Showers

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
W at 15 mph
Details

Thu Oct 11

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
SSW at 10 mph
Details

Fri Oct 12

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
N at 8 mph
Details

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #53285
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Sorry I didn't manage to meet any of you at the Baby Burr, or at least not put a face and advrider name together. Ssreed84, you might be the exception if you happen to have a saw on the front of a KTM. If so, I was on the yellow husky that came in seconds before the sweep crew on Sunday. Indy - I aksed a couple guys on Yamahas with helmets cams if they were you, but didn't find the right one.

The trails on both days were a blast and I managed to complete everything except the A / AA loops which I skipped rather than risking injuries on my first weekend back in the dirt. Saturday went ok for me expet that I forgot how to ride a dirt bike for a while. The first turn into the woods, I grbbed a handful of front brake and went heading off into the shrubbery - oh yeah, not a street bike and not tarmac. I tasted dirt and bark a few times by being on the wrong peg at the wrong time on off camber stuff and lost one radiator shroud in the process. I also sat way too much and am paying the price with swollen ass cheeks. Don't like that visual, think baboon man.

Sunday I started remebering how to ride again, but felt the need to make the day even longer. I stopped to help a guy with a flat and donated my spare tube and a couple CO2 cartidges right before lunch. (first 1/2 hour lost) Near the end of the day, I passed my riding partner in the woods, but he didn't realize it was me. I finished the section and waited a while before walking back in to check on him since I didn't hear his motor. In the mean time, he was wondering why I never caught up and started riding the trail abckwards looking for me. Eventually, he gave up and headed back in my direction and I met him in the woods on foot. Thankfully, I was able to follow the sound of his motor out instead of the trail and headed cross country to save a bit of time. (another hour down the drain) Finally, on the last section (bypassing the AA loop) we came up on a guy walking out because his KTM's tank had run dry. My riding partner rode two up with him to the exit on the road to get to his buddies who had decided not to wait for him. At that point we hatched a new plan and he hopped on the back of my bike to ride the trail backwards back to his bike and transfer fuel from my bike to his. (30 more minutes gone) It worked and we all rode out, but the sweep crew caught up while we were transferring fuel. Aside from donating an hour to the karma that keeps my bike from breaking on the trail and spending an hour an hour on a nature hike, I picked up a good chunk of my old speed on Sunday and stopped making as many mistakes. All the fast trail sections probably helped, but I felt a lot more comfortable in the tight stuff too. Overall, a fabulous return to the dirt world from my perspective.

To those of you who worked the event and made the trails, and to mother nature: Thanks for a great weekend! I couldn't have asked for better trails or weather.

Kory & ssreed84 - If the sweep crew bitches about the guy who held them up on the last bit of trail, tell them I'm sorry. I was riding as fast as I could without risking a wreck and I heard them close behind me. I'm sure they would have had more fun wtih a bit more speed.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #53286
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
...I saw Travis there - and he was long gone, never to be seen again by me. I followed Indy Pup and his pals - the Pup is up to speed! Does not hesitate, always 'on the gas' immediately - definitely no whining. I wish I was that good in my first 10 months of riding. I see a 450 in his near future (Mmorgan????)...
I had a great weekend at the Baby Burr too! No complaints from me. ERA did a great job at putting on the event. I had heard good things about this event and that it was one not to miss.

I rode everything and loved it. Especially that AA loop at the end of Sunday. That thing was awesome!!! Kory, you did a hell of a job laying that thing out!!! It was awesome! Can't say that enough! lol It was pretty much 1st/2nd gear for me the whole way but it was very fun. I would have done it again if I the guys I was riding with would have went with me. I would love to have a loop like that to practice on everyday. I would be in Heaven... I'm addicted to dirt big time. The tighter and more technical stuff is challenging me to become a better rider.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #53287
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Sorry I didn't manage to meet any of you at the Baby Burr, or at least not put a face and advrider name together. Ssreed84, you might be the exception if you happen to have a saw on the front of a KTM. If so, I was on the yellow husky that came in seconds before the sweep crew on Sunday. Indy - I aksed a couple guys on Yamahas with helmets cams if they were you, but didn't find the right one.

The trails on both days were a blast and I managed to complete everything except the A / AA loops which I skipped rather than risking injuries on my first weekend back in the dirt. Saturday went ok for me expet that I forgot how to ride a dirt bike for a while. The first turn into the woods, I grbbed a handful of front brake and went heading off into the shrubbery - oh yeah, not a street bike and not tarmac. I tasted dirt and bark a few times by being on the wrong peg at the wrong time on off camber stuff and lost one radiator shroud in the process. I also sat way too much and am paying the price with swollen ass cheeks. Don't like that visual, think baboon man.

Sunday I started remebering how to ride again, but felt the need to make the day even longer. I stopped to help a guy with a flat and donated my spare tube and a couple CO2 cartidges right before lunch. (first 1/2 hour lost) Near the end of the day, I passed my riding partner in the woods, but he didn't realize it was me. I finished the section and waited a while before walking back in to check on him since I didn't hear his motor. In the mean time, he was wondering why I never caught up and started riding the trail abckwards looking for me. Eventually, he gave up and headed back in my direction and I met him in the woods on foot. Thankfully, I was able to follow the sound of his motor out instead of the trail and headed cross country to save a bit of time. (another hour down the drain) Finally, on the last section (bypassing the AA loop) we came up on a guy walking out because his KTM's tank had run dry. My riding partner rode two up with him to the exit on the road to get to his buddies who had decided not to wait for him. At that point we hatched a new plan and he hopped on the back of my bike to ride the trail backwards back to his bike and transfer fuel from my bike to his. (30 more minutes gone) It worked and we all rode out, but the sweep crew caught up while we were transferring fuel. Aside from donating an hour to the karma that keeps my bike from breaking on the trail and spending an hour an hour on a nature hike, I picked up a good chunk of my old speed on Sunday and stopped making as many mistakes. All the fast trail sections probably helped, but I felt a lot more comfortable in the tight stuff too. Overall, a fabulous return to the dirt world from my perspective.

To those of you who worked the event and made the trails, and to mother nature: Thanks for a great weekend! I couldn't have asked for better trails or weather.

Kory & ssreed84 - If the sweep crew bitches about the guy who held them up on the last bit of trail, tell them I'm sorry. I was riding as fast as I could without risking a wreck and I heard them close behind me. I'm sure they would have had more fun wtih a bit more speed.
Good for you RXC on helping out. ;) Sorry I missed you. I think I was pulling out of the fairgrounds when I may have saw you coming in Sunday. I remember seeing a yellow bike coming in solo. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #53288
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
Sorry I missed you Bob I rode yesterday with Travis and a couple of other buddies from down here we had a blast. it was a great mixture of trails something for everyone.

You thanked the wrong club it was Enduro Riders instead of ADR.

Whenever you want to ride these trails again just get a hold of us and we will go.
Sorry I missed you too. I saw Kory Saturday at dinner but didn't know anyone else. ;)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #53289
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

I'm sure it will be given the sort of luck I've had in the past week...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #53290
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I have Tuesday morning off, and am headed to Carroll county. Let me know if you're free to ride.

I'm off, have bike, will travel (the 15 miles to Carroll Co)...

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #53291
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post

It wasn't me on a KTM I ride a WR and Im not with The club I just started the thread to help with the pub. I live in McArthur and like that these events help our community through money spent and all the money the club donates to different charities and scholarships.

I didn't get to meet anyone we were done at 230 on Saturday and was going to comeback up that night but got busy and didn't make it back maybe next ride we can meet.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #53292
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I'm off, have bike, will travel (the 15 miles to Carroll Co)...
Hmmm I may be free tomorrow also.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #53293
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,592
please keep an eye out....

My buddy had both his bikes stolen this weekend. Klr650, and ktm690smc.
Most likely local idiots looking to beat them and dump them in the woods by the river (had that happen before), but since the smc is fairly rare, hoping it stands out.
I'll add more info and pics when I get it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #53294
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
My buddy had both his bikes stolen this weekend. Klr650, and ktm690smc.
Most likely local idiots looking to beat them and dump them in the woods by the river (had that happen before), but since the smc is fairly rare, hoping it stands out.
I'll add more info and pics when I get it.

That sucks.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #53295
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 618
Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Hmmm I may be free tomorrow also.
Have to blood test at 8am Lancaster then I am free for a ride. Are you and Meef going to be Riding North of I 70 all day?

B-Mac screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 01:09 PM Reason: xxx
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote