ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #53296
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Have to blood test at 8am Lancaster then I am free for a ride. Are you and Meef going to be Riding North of I 70 all day?
Don't worry buddy, they are real close to finding a cure for AIDS.

I have zero in the plans department. Call it, whoever summons the Meef first shall have him.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #53297
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
So after looking at and entertaining a lot of bikes, considering maintenance, cost, and riding habits, I keep coming back to the WR250R looking reasonable. I've actually found a X that's priced where I'm willing to pay. Conversion warp 9 R (18 & 21) wheels with rotors and sprockets are about $725. I'd need some tubes & tires as well. Anyway, the idea of a motard seems pretty cool for these 3 digit roads down here as well, it's like 2 bikes for the price of 1. Am I nuts?
What gearing are you guys running on 250Rs? I'm reading 13/48 is good? Its about the same as 12 with the stock sprocket. If I go this route there may be a sub 20k 1993 klr650 for sale.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #53298
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 618
Ride

I can meet you around Zanesville or New Concord area around 9:30--10am (Coffee) if you like and maybe ride out 313 East to Senecaville Lake to start and then go south on 566/147 to caldwell then 78West. or if you have some nice roads to ride we can change it up. Do you know of a meet place. I should be only 15 min. at Lancaster then is open.

B-Mac screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 03:04 PM
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #53299
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 294
How fast were they going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
I live in McArthur and like that these events help our community through money spent and all the money the club donates to different charities and scholarships.

I didn't get to meet anyone we were done at 2:30 on Saturday and was going to comeback up that night but got busy and didn't make it back maybe next ride we can meet.
Let's see - stopped for lunch, took some trail breaks, knocked out 100+ miles and then on the way home at 2:30.

At that speed it was probably hard to shake any hands!

I'm afraid that's a little quicker pace than I keep. . .I was taking Vinton County soil samples at times.

Travis made you finish early, right?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #53300
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
So after looking at and entertaining a lot of bikes, considering maintenance, cost, and riding habits, I keep coming back to the WR250R looking reasonable. I've actually found a X that's priced where I'm willing to pay. Conversion warp 9 R (18 & 21) wheels with rotors and sprockets are about $725. I'd need some tubes & tires as well. Anyway, the idea of a motard seems pretty cool for these 3 digit roads down here as well, it's like 2 bikes for the price of 1. Am I nuts?
What gearing are you guys running on 250Rs? I'm reading 13/48 is good? Its about the same as 12 with the stock sprocket. If I go this route there may be a sub 20k 1993 klr650 for sale.
Easy answer first: I went with 14/47 for gearing. this is basically stock gearing, with bigger sprockets to get the chain off the swingarm guards (that are known to wear out, often prematurely). Most folks gear down for off-road, but I have to do a ton of pavement to get anywhere good, so I left the ratio alone.

The rest of your questions are much more personal preference.

I also found the WRR to be my optimal little bike. Even now that I dream of more power, there simply isn't another option out there that would really work for me.

I came from a street background, and had a street fighter for the '3 digit roads' down there. With that in mind, a WR is never going to light my fire in that regard. I do love the idea of a motard for twisty roads or tight tracks, but Ohio simply doesn't have the twisties to justify this small of a bike, you'll be running out of steam out of every corner. I think the WR motard would be a blast down in the mountains, like on the dragon where corners are often rated at 10-20 mph, but around here, if I had a motard it'd have to have some ass behind it to get me to justify swapping wheels back and forth.
The WRR with 50/50 tires (think shinko 244's) can about drag the pegs on pavement, for what that's worth.

All that being said, worst case scenario you sell the factory motard stuff and pretty much make your money up for the warp 9 setup. Plus you get a sweet black frame.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #53301
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
I can meet you around Zanesville or New Concord area around 9:30--10am (Coffee) if you like and maybe ride out 313 East to Senecaville Lake to start and then go south on 566/147 to caldwell then 78West. or if you have some nice roads to ride we can change it up. Do you know of a meet place. I should be only 15 min. at Lancaster then is open.
New Concord works for me. The corner restaurant there got torn down to make a bank, and I'm not sure there is a restaurant open in the mornings. There's a Fuel mart at 83 and 40.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #53302
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
First WR I ran stock gearing for 12,000 miles, 13/43. Good for pretty much everything.

Second WR when I bought it had a 12T front. I didn't like the 12/43 so I traded it out for a 13 to go back to stock. When that set wore out I went to 14/50 114 link chain, more to clear the swingarm than for the increased grunt.

The 14/50, which is essentially the same as the 13/47, seems a decent all around compromise for road and trail.

The stock speedo is off, but any sprocket change makes it much worse. My speedo now reads 85 and I'm going 70 (GPS).

I concur with MikeF5000, a motard is cool but realistically you aren't going to capitalize on the benefits of one in SE Ohio. You'll be wanting the dual sporty capabilities more than the streetgoing ones so I'd buy the X, swap wheels with someone or buy Warp 9 and sell your OEM wheels, and just be done with it.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #53303
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Easy answer first: I went with 14/47 for gearing. this is basically stock gearing, with bigger sprockets to get the chain off the swingarm guards (that are known to wear out, often prematurely). Most folks gear down for off-road, but I have to do a ton of pavement to get anywhere good, so I left the ratio alone.

The rest of your questions are much more personal preference.

I also found the WRR to be my optimal little bike. Even now that I dream of more power, there simply isn't another option out there that would really work for me.

I came from a street background, and had a street fighter for the '3 digit roads' down there. With that in mind, a WR is never going to light my fire in that regard. I do love the idea of a motard for twisty roads or tight tracks, but Ohio simply doesn't have the twisties to justify this small of a bike, you'll be running out of steam out of every corner. I think the WR motard would be a blast down in the mountains, like on the dragon where corners are often rated at 10-20 mph, but around here, if I had a motard it'd have to have some ass behind it to get me to justify swapping wheels back and forth.
The WRR with 50/50 tires (think shinko 244's) can about drag the pegs on pavement, for what that's worth.

All that being said, worst case scenario you sell the factory motard stuff and pretty much make your money up for the warp 9 setup. Plus you get a sweet black frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
First WR I ran stock gearing for 12,000 miles, 13/43. Good for pretty much everything.

Second WR when I bought it had a 12T front. I didn't like the 12/43 so I traded it out for a 13 to go back to stock. When that set wore out I went to 14/50 114 link chain, more to clear the swingarm than for the increased grunt.

The 14/50, which is essentially the same as the 13/47, seems a decent all around compromise for road and trail.

The stock speedo is off, but any sprocket change makes it much worse. My speedo now reads 85 and I'm going 70 (GPS).

I concur with MikeF5000, a motard is cool but realistically you aren't going to capitalize on the benefits of one in SE Ohio. You'll be wanting the dual sporty capabilities more than the streetgoing ones so I'd buy the X, swap wheels with someone or buy Warp 9 and sell your OEM wheels, and just be done with it.
How does the 250 compare to a klr650 on a road like 26 or 56? The klr does ok, but it tops out about 90-95 in the longest straights with me on it. I have 244s on it and stock gearing. Sr78 and 821 toward Caldwell and Sr 60 and 83 to New Concord are generally the biggest roads I ride.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #53304
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
New Concord works for me. The corner restaurant there got torn down to make a bank, and I'm not sure there is a restaurant open in the mornings. There's a Fuel mart at 83 and 40.
OK, Fuel Mart 201 W. Main NC

Lancaster-ites? Is it better in the morning to go North on 37 to 70 to New Concord or 22 to Zanesville 70 to NC? Traffic, School Bus, Deer, Commuters,
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #53305
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
If I go this route there may be a sub 20k 1993 klr650 for sale.
how much?

Quote:
Lancaster-ites? Is it better in the morning to go North on 37 to 70 to New Concord or 22 to Zanesville 70 to NC? Traffic, School Bus, Deer, Commuters,

I'm thinking 22 to Z'ville...significantly shorter distance if for no other reason...when you get into Z'ville, take a right on 719 over the river to 60 which will take you through downtown Z-town quicker and easier than 22.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #53306
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Anyone looking for a clean KLR? 2005 with 3k on the clock....cheap. Looks like a quick sale, jump fast.

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/3317958885.html

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #53307
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
How does the 250 compare to a klr650 on a road like 26 or 56? The klr does ok, but it tops out about 90-95 in the longest straights with me on it. I have 244s on it and stock gearing. Sr78 and 821 toward Caldwell and Sr 60 and 83 to New Concord are generally the biggest roads I ride.
Well obviously you have 1/3 of the displacement so it's not going to have the "grunt", especially powering around corners and such. Riding it becomes an exercise in momentum gathering, and once you've got it, you don't slow down... at least that's how I ride it.

That said, with stock gearing, it's a deceptively quick bike, still faster accelerating up to 55 than most cars. I enjoy it quite a bit on curvy 2 lane state routes, it's nimble and light and flicks around like it ain't nothing.

My top speed runs around 80 (GPS) depending on if I shit before I rode or not.

You're running 95 mph on straights on the KLR? Is that GPS, or indicated by the speedometer? It's gonna be 10 high or so at that speed. I have a hard time seeing a KLR at 95 mph.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #53308
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Well obviously you have 1/3 of the displacement so it's not going to have the "grunt", especially powering around corners and such. Riding it becomes an exercise in momentum gathering, and once you've got it, you don't slow down... at least that's how I ride it.

That said, with stock gearing, it's a deceptively quick bike, still faster accelerating up to 55 than most cars. I enjoy it quite a bit on curvy 2 lane state routes, it's nimble and light and flicks around like it ain't nothing.

My top speed runs around 80 (GPS) depending on if I shit before I rode or not.

You're running 95 mph on straights on the KLR? Is that GPS, or indicated by the speedometer? It's gonna be 10 high or so at that speed. I have a hard time seeing a KLR at 95 mph.
My KLR will do 97 (GPS) with 16/43 gearing. It will use a quart of oil per mile at that speed though...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #53309
Samc243
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

So, I rode out 255 this past weekend for the first time ever, and damn it makes 26 look straight!
Samc243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #53310
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
I tagged GPS verified 86 MPH on Adam's old bike the other morning. I wasn't really wound out either, just cranked it on from a stop sign and didn't let out. Stock besides the pipe and carb tweaks. 90+ seems pretty feasible.

The HP numbers are pretty close between the KLR and the WRR, the torque on the other hand....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote