ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #53476
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Like mentioned, just buy what you want, why settle for less?

I've only owned Honda XR/XL bikes so I can't say what the rest of the Japanese bikes are like to work on. But as far as parts go, I haven't truly had to replace many over the years in any model or brand bike I have had except an XR350R. Mostly chains, sprockets, brake pads, ect, the same parts you'll replace on any bike.

FWIW, my 2008 250XCF has never had to have the valves adjusted yet and the only thing I have worn out is the chain and spockets, one set of front and rear brakes and one set of tires. Sadly, I don't ride it as a street bike so those 1,100 miles and 85 hours are all off-road on the MX track, trails, scrambles and 1 dual sport (yes, I drove to one ).

My buddy has a 2007 CRF250R with not as many hours or beatings but the motor too has never been apart.
I used to buy/fix/sell project bikes. By far the 2 strokes needed the most internal work. Just an upper end rebuild normally. All of the rest, mainly oil leaks and carb rebuilds or routine stuff like chain,sprocket,pads, etc. Not much difference between the Japanese until the 4 stroke mx bikes came out. Reliability for major parts is excellent. Even on known wear parts like bearings. Only the most abused of bikes needed wheel or cush hub bearings replaced. Simple,straightforward maintenance on them. BMW.. quite a few WTF moments there with design. Some is beneficial like lowered fuel tanks, some is just over complicated.

Honda would be my choice in the used market. 04-08 crf450 had a single cam and divided oil between upper and lower in the engine. Less money if it needed a rebuild,and less chance of damage spilling between the upper and tranny in a bad failure. Chances are slim regardless. Ktm,berg,husky... haven't worked on them yet. Figured you would know much more than I do there. All in all if its not as over engineered as a BMW it wont be bad at all. First part is finding what I want,riding it,then looking at similar prospects. Then its back to design and known issues. A berg or ktm could be the one,but I'd be weary about buying a bike with known major malfunctions that were never addressed. The jap bikes just plain work. The euro bikes have a bit more,but you pay for it.

All things the same, I'll get what i want. Figured a Japanese bike with low maintenance and cheap parts would be better to thrash while I pound the basics into my thick skull. A jap 450 wouldn't take as much of a depreciation loss over a year anyway. Or im just justifying it in my head that way for the moment. Kinda like beating a camaro to pieces before you get into a lambo as your final ride. Spills,hits,scrapes,etc. They don't bother me. Beating a nice piece of equipment.. yeah,that does. The good news is, eventually it'll get there. It's just the first few that look the worst. The rest are just character. The old Dr got the piss beat out of it. Even after the paint job I still don't mind thrashing it.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #53477
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Thanks, I'm sure I heal up fine. Best wishs to you and your family.
Ouch, now I'm glad I didn't go and stayed home to take care of groceries.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #53478
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Well it was just me and Mikef500 on the Tar Hollow ride today, but that only lasted about 15 miles before I wiped out on an easy dirt road. Just a mental error not paying attention I guess when I unexpectedly rode right into a puddle in the middle of the road that ended up being way too deep for the KLR's front suspension to soak up. Went down hard landing on my right shoulder and scraping my helmet pretty good. Managed to get the bike back up with Mike's help and figured I would continue on for a while to see how the shoulder would hold up. After a couple more miles it continued to hurt so I bid Mike farewell and headed for home.

Buy the time I got home about 1-1/2 hours later it had stiffened up and really started to hurt when I moved it around a lot. Had to have my wife help me pull off my jacket and the next words out of her mouth were "what the hell is wrong with your shoulder, it looks different than the other one!" I immediately went in to panic mode and had her drive me straight to the ER to get checked out. Level 3 AC shoulder separation is the diagnosis. I see an Ortho doctor on Monday. Guess I will not be riding for a while :(
Crap, get well soon.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #53479
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,543
Damn Mark, you have had a rough few months. That is most unfortunate. Sorry to hear it.

Benly, your dealio sucks too. That MikeF is a mother fucker.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #53480
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Did they put you in a sling and tell you that's about all you can do? Or are they talking surgery?
ER doctor wasn't sure if surgery would be needed. Guess I'll know when I see the ortho.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #53481
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Sorry to hear about the loss, Mark. You need a vacation, brother!

Benly, heal fast....know right what you feel like. I've been hurt all year, it's a fucking drag. Last year did 24,000 miles, this year I doubt I've broken 4,000.

Cripes.

We all need a beer and a blowjob. (well, not the ladies....they need whatever ladies get)

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #53482
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,025
Our condolences Mark. Hope you can end it at one before it gets out of hand like it did up here!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #53483
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
I'm even more determined to retire and the end of the year after all this!
I don't blame you.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #53484
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post

All in all if its not as over engineered as a BMW it wont be bad at all.

The Husqvarna's were the simplist design that still produced good power but since BMW took them over, I'm no longer up on them. My 2000 TE410 I sold was basically a thumper top end meshed to a 2 stroke bottom end. Prior to that design they only had a reed valve for an oil pump.

If you keep any of the thumpers off the rev limiter they all should last.

Benly, I did the same thing to my shoulder crashing down a ski slope in the snow on a bicycle. The doc refused surgery knowing it just break again. Mine has healed up fine although there is a rather unique lump there from the end of the collar bone where it used to be atached to rotator bone. Mountian biking and washboard roads were the 2 main things I had to stay away from while it healed. Hopefully your doctor will let you ride also.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #53485
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
On a sad note, one of my wife's best friends died tonite of a pulmonary embolism, 47 yrs. old, married with twin senior daughters. What a shock. One minute she was fine, the next, gone.
This has been one hell of a month. Wife with breast cancer, mom goes into a rest home, friend dies unexpectedly.
Guys and gals, live life and have fun! Who knows how long we've got!
I'm even more determined to retire and the end of the year after all this!
Sending good thoughts your way, Mark. Rough year. A pulmonary embolism took my wife's father at just a few weeks shy of his 50th birthday.

Nobody makes it off this rock alive. Get that retirement paperwork together and give Neil a run for his money.

If you can get the Chillicothe Mafia together, let's do a southern OH dinner/beer gathering sometime this winter.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #53486
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
heres a little bit of eye-candy...I think we can all use it...

http://www.hersenscheet.com/loi/hentai.swf

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #53487
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
heres a little bit of eye-candy...I think we can all use it...

http://www.hersenscheet.com/loi/hentai.swf

MMMMMMMMMMMMM....onions!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #53488
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Benly, I did the same thing to my shoulder crashing down a ski slope in the snow on a bicycle. The doc refused surgery knowing it just break again. Mine has healed up fine although there is a rather unique lump there from the end of the collar bone where it used to be atached to rotator bone. Mountian biking and washboard roads were the 2 main things I had to stay away from while it healed. Hopefully your doctor will let you ride also.
Got the bump on the shoulder. That's what freaked me out. From what I've read on the internet it's not uncommon to have it as a permanent deformity, but it usually doesn't cause any long term problems.

Appreciate everyone's kind words.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #53489
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Benly, heal fast. Ice racing season approaches.

Mark, hang in there. I hope brighter days are ahead for you. Healthy thoughts are sent in your wifes direction.

And for the rest of you FFs:

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #53490
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Congrats. I saw that FMF is making a header/pipe/programmer already for it. Cuts the exhaust weight in half, not bad.

Oh, and if any one else is interested in hitting Wayne a couple of us are riding it tomorrow morning, 10am New Straitsville trailhead....gonna hit the quad-free loop over on the other side of Nelsonville. Supposed to be 72 and sunny, nice.

swingset screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 06:41 AM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote