ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #53596
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Anyone here build websites?

OMTA is looking to hire someone to build a new website. We had someone who was going to do it, and it never happened. Before we go flipping through the yellow pages we would rather have a fellow rider. Plus, we now have the funding to pay someone. PM me if interested.
I know quite a bit of the ins and outs of web tools. I built my site:

http://www.autumnleafservices.com

It's really simple, I spent about 10 minutes getting it running. I am willing to put something together in my spare time, no charge or anything, and no promise that it will be super flashy.

Who are you planning on hosting? I have a friend who is sympathetic to land use organizations who I can probably convince to host it for free.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #53597
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Cool, didn't know that was going on. Still enjoying the new smoker? I might try to swing by on Friday after work.
Wow, you have a great memory. Yes, I am still barbecuing. It has taken me a long time to get good at pork shoulder. I am currently practicing ribs and then on to brisket, which intimidates me. I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker to practice on. I would recommend it highly to anyone wanting effortless BBQ. I will be at the festival but not competing. I want to see how Kisor's does this year and a guy from Gallipolis that did pretty well last year.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #53598
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters had the Alpinestar Scouts on sale a month or so ago. Those are my "adventure/rain" boots, and I really like them. Obviously less hard core than the Sidi's, but at half the price, they're a nice boot!

Or you could go at your old boots with some combination of Sno-Seal and/or Shoe-Goo. Both excellent products that can fix about any leak.
I just bought a pair of the Scouts, nice boots last month. They serve both roles (street and dirt) so even at $250 they kind of save you money.

Revzilla has them for $249 w/ free shipping.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #53599
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Picture spam from yesterday's aimless wandering out around the state wilderness area north of Zanesville.

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #53600
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
Wow, you have a great memory. Yes, I am still barbecuing. It has taken me a long time to get good at pork shoulder. I am currently practicing ribs and then on to brisket, which intimidates me. I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker to practice on. I would recommend it highly to anyone wanting effortless BBQ. I will be at the festival but not competing. I want to see how Kisor's does this year and a guy from Gallipolis that did pretty well last year.
Brisket you say?

Courtesy of QueTex over at KTMtalk

Zach calls me scary - looks like the two of you have moved into striking distance of an award winning meal. I think he knows some trails too.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #53601
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Brisket you say?

Courtesy of QueTex over at KTMtalk

Zach calls me scary - looks like the two of you have moved into striking distance of an award winning meal. I think he knows some trails too.
That's a great name, I've been using Zach-and-a-half

Where's that guy located? I'm not on KTM Talk
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #53602
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
That's a great name, I've been using Zach-and-a-half

Where's that guy located? I'm not on KTM Talk
Looks like the brisket state, Texas. Would like his recipe.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #53603
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Going with money to look at a WR250R tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will follow me home.
It's this one if you care : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833197
Prolly hold on to the KLR until early spring just to be sure I like the WR. If I can find a little space I may swap 90/10s on it and keep it as a long haul traveler.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #53604
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I just bought a pair of the Scouts, nice boots last month. They serve both roles (street and dirt) so even at $250 they kind of save you money.

Revzilla has them for $249 w/ free shipping.
The Scouts are on my shopping list. I don't know what the weather has been like back there, but have you worn them on a hot day? I'm wondering if they can be worn year 'round or if the waterproofing makes your feet sweat.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #53605
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Going with money to look at a WR250R tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will follow me home.
Prolly hold on to the KLR until early spring just to be sure I like the WR. If I can find a little space I may swap 90/10s on it and keep it as a long haul traveler.
Good luck! Was contemplating buying also but recently bought the CRF250L. Telling myself I don't need two 250's. Looks like a good deal though.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #53606
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Good luck! Was contemplating buying also but recently bought the CRF250L. Telling myself I don't need two 250's. Looks like a good deal though.
How's the CRF250L? From what I read, it seems like the WR is a little dirtier. I looked at them very hard as well, they seemed a little short to me at 6'2". I think this bike in PA is a pretty reasonable deal. I hope to learn to ride offroad better with it.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #53607
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
How's the CRF250L? From what I read, it seems like the WR is a little dirtier. I looked at them very hard as well, they seemed a little short to me at 6'2". I think this bike in PA is a pretty reasonable deal. I hope to learn to ride offroad better with it.
The CRFL seems to be a capable DS, in the novice/intermediate sense of the word. It perfomed well on muddyrabbit's ride last Saturday. Granted, it won't win any races or be expected to.

Definetly would be short for your frame. I'm kinda torn between wanting to open it up a bit with the FMF pipe/muffler mods and staying stock. It's very quiet which I like.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #53608
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
The CRFL seems to be a capable DS, in the novice/intermediate sense of the word. It perfomed well on muddyrabbit's ride last Saturday. Granted, it won't win any races or be expected to.

Definetly would be short for your frame. I'm kinda torn between wanting to open it up a bit with the FMF pipe/muffler mods and staying stock. It's very quiet which I like.
I fully admit that other factors played into my decision to get the CRF250L, but it is my intent to spend the money to take it "dirtier". Exhaust, fuel controller, tank, boingers, wheels are all in play.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #53609
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:

DON'T DO IT!!! They're pieces of junk!!! Just look how the front brake caliper simply detaches itself from the fork at the slightest impact against a rock:

Just kidding... about not getting it. I love mine. That being said, I did just break the caliper carrier, and remove my front caliper from the bike mid-ride.

Caliper is perfect, it just took out the carrier (and 1 pad):

Broken Caliper Carrier:

Good news/Bad news; it didn't hurt anything else (wheel/rotor/me), but they don't sell the carrier separate , I've got to buy a new complete caliper assembly?!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #53610
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:

Looks like a great bike & a great price. Congrats!