ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #53701
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Battery removal/replaced fixed mine when it wouldn't turn off then shortly afterwards it wouldn't stay on. I deleted all the files on the SD card including system files and it went back to fully functional.
Yeah, I thought it was a bad SD card at first too but it did it again just messing with it at home with a different card. Then I tried updating the firmware thinking that might fix it...big mistake it locked up doing the firmware and just stayed that way even when I removed the battery and re-inserted it. :( Oh well, it's still under the 1 year warranty so Gopro will fix it or send me a new one...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #53702
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Those are integrated saddlebags like a ST1300 and Goldwing
lol, when I ride my ST13 after not being on it for a while I 100% agree it feels like an 800# beaST.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #53703
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I've been too lazy to ride much of anything recently. We all go thru slumps from time to time. As for the YZ it's still for sale.
Your 426 is plated, right? Do you have an asking price for it? Been thinking about clearing some of the bikes out of the garage to get somthing lighter than the KLR for trail riding.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #53704
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I've been too lazy to ride much of anything recently. We all go thru slumps from time to time. As for the YZ it's still for sale.
I rode 40K miles back in 2009. I had 4 weeks vacation and was laid off two different times that year though.

This year, I've ridden the ST, WRR, and KLR about 4K each. ;) I still need to get another engine for the Ninjette after blowing it up in May '11. :(

As far the YZ426, like Mgorman said...it has too much power for the type of riding you do with it. It would be fun watching mgorman on the MX track with it though. Now that would probably a video people would like to see. ;)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #53705
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Hey Sion, did you get the XR fixed this past weekend? If not, maybe you could get BuildIT to loan you his YZ426 since he doesn't ever ride it.

what you trying to do, get me killed?

anyway, I only got around to messing with the XR today...have verified that A) I have spark: B) the carb is pumping gas into the intake and C) still wont start...tomorrow the head is coming off so I can make sure I havent holed the piston again...dont really think so, but I also want to have a look at the valves and seats - kicking it over with the plug out and then with the plug in, there is a noticeable difference in resistance on the kick lever - so probably I have compression, but maybe not enough...and/or if theres a valve not fully seated, then it maybe wont be sucking the air/fuel charge into the combustion chamber.

if I cant get Dora running by friday, why dont u let me ride your KLR?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #53706
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post

anyway, I only got around to messing with the XR today...have verified that A) I have spark: B) the carb is pumping gas into the intake and C) still wont start...tomorrow the head is coming off so I can make sure I havent holed the piston again...dont really think so, but I also want to have a look at the valves and seats - kicking it over with the plug out and then with the plug in, there is a noticeable difference in resistance on the kick lever - so probably I have compression, but maybe not enough...and/or if theres a valve not fully seated, then it maybe wont be sucking the air/fuel charge into the combustion chamber.

if I cant get Dora running by friday, why dont u let me ride your KLR?
If you want you can borrow my compression tester, Let me know and you can pick up at my work tomorrow

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #53707
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
WIsh I had one !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Aw crap. They're multiplying.

EJV didn't have any KTM's in stock, had to buy a bike from someone else for once.

?
She's a beaut! Your opted for the 'Big Boy model' I see.

I've yet to get a ride on a 500/520/525, I have an '09 450 - if I rode one, I'm afraid I'd like it. Right now, I'm considerering my 450 as a 'big bore' (cuz it sure ain't a 250). I find the bigger bikes easier to ride if you can manage the throttle and can stand a little arm-staightening - but then, I'm an admitted lazy rider.

I've always said that the difference between a big bore and a smaller bike is that with the big bore, you up-shift at the bottom of a hill, with the 250/125's you down-shift.

Just a little note on maintenance - I have less that 40 hours so I'm learning as I go. I changed both top end and the separate X-mission oil at 15 hours with Ams-Oil Then I changed it last week at 22 hours (top end only). The oil came out a slightly dis-colored honey - thick, smooth honey - (I think it had more than a few hours left on it's service). The proper thing to do is probably to send it out for testing. It's only take 2/3 qt. to change (less if you leave the filter in - I made that mistake. . . )
Lucas make a new 10w-50 full synthetic - the same weight as the MotoEx that the manual suggests. $14 at Iron Pony ($19/MotoEx) so I 'm giving it a run. BTW - I've been doing a couple of dual sports, a couple of hundred miles of gravel roads - not as much trail as I'd like. So I'm not hammering the motor - I believe the better oil is probably up to some heavy duty, as in racing, use.

One other thing - these motors need a tire in good condition. A DRZ may have tolerated a ragged out knobby - this bike want's to hook up - before it gets YOU into trouble - in a rather fast pace.
Oh yeh - I get 42 mpg on gravel - 35 on the DS rides.

Good Luck - this bike will go as fast as you dare. And then some.

BR
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #53708
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
what you trying to do, get me killed?...
...why dont u let me ride your KLR?
No, you are one of the few that watch my videos...lol

I was actually thinking about bringing both the WRR and KLR with me. I was thinking about riding the KLR in the Flint Ridge Road Enduro on Sunday. ;)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #53709
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
Sion, I would take a look at valve springs and adjustment as well...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #53710
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
No need for apology - just giving you jealous crap for living in the middle of enduro heaven.
Yea it is kind of nice to be able to just hop on the bike and hit the trails. You should come down and give it a try sometime.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #53711
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Bob I rode the 500xcw last year at the Turkey Trot/demo day. It was a smooth power,I say like driven a tractor, it putted me around when I wanted to go slow,but no arm straightening jerk when I gave it the gas. Now mind you I was on the demo loop,but it wasn't at all like a 500 smoker with the power band kicking in.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #53712
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:

anyway, I only got around to messing with the XR today...have verified that A) I have spark: B) the carb is pumping gas into the intake and C) still wont start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Sion, I would take a look at valve springs and adjustment as well...

I am with Matt, it is very possible you have one valve that has tightened or you over tightened it when you redid the motor last time. It doesn't take much for the valve to leak. Make sure on the range, they are adjusted to the loose side of the tolerance so the intake valve closes a bit earlier than if on the tight side, might as well try to get every ounce of compression you can.

The 84 XR200R uses a sleeved down version of that motor and when I replaced the valve cover gasket the motor wouldn't start. The new gasket was thinner, enough so the intake valves leaked. I adjusted them and it fired first kick.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #53713
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
I have had 3 engines (non motorcycle) fail to start after having run fine and the culprit was weak valve springs. They were adjusted fine, the spring had just lost enough tension to allow compression to leak out.

I would do a leak down test as well, maybe with the rockers off completely. What does the plug look like?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #53714
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,404
Anyone have any thoughts on the klx450r? I've got a shot at getting a barely used one for a hell of a price.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #53715
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Bob I rode the 500xcw last year at the Turkey Trot/demo day. It was a smooth power,I say like driven a tractor, it putted me around when I wanted to go slow,but no arm straightening jerk when I gave it the gas. Now mind you I was on the demo loop,but it wasn't at all like a 500 smoker with the power band kicking in.
Not a CR500 - thankfully. They were a trip! They were fun for a good shot of adrenaline - more motor than I needed to pilot between trees and rocky creek beds.

What I'm starting to learn with my KTM is that it's just about impossible to stall the engine. Probably can roll off a 3rd gear start with a little clutch work from a dead stop without much complaint. I kept going up hills at the Baby Burr DS - a gear too tall - and all I had to do was roll in some more throttle if I got out of shape - no clunka-clunka-clunk - just motors up those long hills. You mentioned above that other thing I like about mine - works well at almost a walking pace, mid-range that you never have to think about shifting - and then there's some scary stuff at the top end. I just short shift - always. Keeps the shorts clean!

BR