ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #53716
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
If you want you can borrow my compression tester, Let me know and you can pick up at my work tomorrow


Pete

that would be excellent...I'll stop by about 2:15...Mr. Tire on Memorial, right?
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #53717
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post

As far the YZ426, like Mgorman said...it has too much power for the type of riding you do with it. It would be fun watching mgorman on the MX track with it though. Now that would probably a video people would like to see. ;)


That depends on what he's going to do with it. Big bikes have more power than the average person needs, not necessarily all the power is bad. Big bikes can be de-tuned so there is still good bottom end and the hit removed. You can install a Supertrapp style silencer that has the discs. More discs, more top end, less discs, better bottom end and taking away the top end. If the gasses can't get out, neither can the horse power. I used Supertrapp discs to tune the Megaphone on the Can Am 560 I used to race between MX and Scrambles.

You can also do what Yamaha and other companies do to tame bikes or make them meet sound levels

1) Install washers of various hole sizes between the header and silencer to choke down the flow. (Cheap man's version of what a Suppertrapp does) Some put them between the header and head but that might be harder to seal. Put a Stock WR silencer on it.

2) Throttle stop from a WR

3) Long pull throttle tube, slows down how fast the slide opens

4) Larger Leak Jet to blow off the charge from the accelerator pump.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #53718
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the klx450r? I've got a shot at getting a barely used one for a hell of a price.
Good bike, from everything I've heard or read. Suspensions were said to be its weak point, but that was coming from racers...trail riding it's probably sufficiently plush and compliant.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-r...450r_web_test/
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #53719
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the klx450r? I've got a shot at getting a barely used one for a hell of a price.

I believe Duckassasin1 races one

Swing, were these the Suzuki made Kawasakis?
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #53720
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer
 
Fleece Johnson's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lucastucky, OH
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post


Thanks dood

Still not going to "go for a ride" in your white candy van, no matter how many more times you ask.
Lookin good Dox!

You do anything special to drop all that weight??!?!?
Fleece Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #53721
Moparmanpete
Support all riders
 
Moparmanpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ohio
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
that would be excellent...I'll stop by about 2:15...Mr. Tire on Memorial, right?
Yep
__________________
"The reward is in the doing of it" "If you don't go when you to want to go, when you do go you'll find you've gone" BM
08 Wildfire 150 Scoot "The Virus"
The Virus's RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826703
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #53722
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I believe Duckassasin1 races one

Swing, were these the Suzuki made Kawasakis?
Nope, that's the KLX400, which was a rebadged DRZ.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #53723
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Nope, that's the KLX400, which was a rebadged DRZ.
Weren't the 400 cc kiwi quads also rebadged suzukis too?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #53724
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,136
yup
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #53725
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
She's a beaut! Your opted for the 'Big Boy model' I see.
Thanks, Bob. Appreciate the tips, maintenance isn't my strong point but will be a bit more diligent with this bike. I don't think you'd find my 530 to be all that much different than your 450, should be the same XC4 motor. Would like to take a spin on the new fuel injected 500 bike though.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #53726
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Johnson View Post
Lookin good Dox!

You do anything special to drop all that weight??!?!?
Thanks, Andrew.

Nothing really "special". Two food scales and everything gets measured down to the gram. Food labels are closely watched, use a smartphone app to scan barcodes of food packaging and track daily intake. Eliminated some very specific bad habits and foods. Plotted progress on an Excel spreadsheet like any good nerd should.

Still have a little way to go.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #53727
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 13,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Thanks, Andrew.

Nothing really "special". Two food scales and everything gets measured down to the gram. Food labels are closely watched, use a smartphone app to scan barcodes of food packaging and track daily intake. Eliminated some very specific bad habits and foods. Plotted progress on an Excel spreadsheet like any good nerd should.

Still have a little way to go.
Looks like it working well.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #53728
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Benly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
That depends on what he's going to do with it. Big bikes have more power than the average person needs, not necessarily all the power is bad. Big bikes can be de-tuned so there is still good bottom end and the hit removed. You can install a Supertrapp style silencer that has the discs. More discs, more top end, less discs, better bottom end and taking away the top end. If the gasses can't get out, neither can the horse power. I used Supertrapp discs to tune the Megaphone on the Can Am 560 I used to race between MX and Scrambles.

You can also do what Yamaha and other companies do to tame bikes or make them meet sound levels

1) Install washers of various hole sizes between the header and silencer to choke down the flow. (Cheap man's version of what a Suppertrapp does) Some put them between the header and head but that might be harder to seal. Put a Stock WR silencer on it.

2) Throttle stop from a WR

3) Long pull throttle tube, slows down how fast the slide opens

4) Larger Leak Jet to blow off the charge from the accelerator pump.

I'm not looking for a race bike. Just want to have something with much lighter weight and longer legs than my KLR for a change when trail riding. I'm pushing 260 lbs with a 36" inseam so a tall seat height is not a problem. As far as the power band is concerned, I figure it's easier to smooth out and detune an engine that it is to go the other way. I'd start with restricting the exhaust as suggested. I like my bikes quiet not loud.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #53729
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Weren't the 400 cc kiwi quads also rebadged suzukis too?
They didn't stop there.



IIRC, these Stromasakis were not released in the states, but were sold in Canuckistan.
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #53730
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
They didn't stop there.



IIRC, these Stromasakis were not released in the states, but were sold in Canuckistan.
Thats the first time I've heard of a stromasaki. I know Suzuki and kiwi have a long history of rebadging. Just thought it was all limited to offroad models except the ujm years of bikes.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014