ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #53761
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Is this a off road noob ride or will it kick my ass?
They have trails for all skill levels. ;) I'm by no means an expert, but have been there once back in February when it was muddy as hell and I survived.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #53762
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Is this a off road noob ride or will it kick my ass?
The AA loop will probably kick most of our asses, but the normal trails around there aren't hard. You can choose which to ride.

I was going to go but I have to do a long OT day on Saturday late into the night, so I'm likely out. I'm gonna get out and do some back roads and trails Sunday tho, so if anyone's skipping Crow and wants to do some normal dual sport stuff feel free to join me.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #53763
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I want to do some demo rides, will probably ride the 690 up on Saturday. Considered trucking the WR but that's a lot of miles at 11/gallon- haha.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #53764
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
I want to do some demo rides, will probably ride the 690 up on Saturday.
Is said 690 sporting knobs? Been looking to ride one in the woods.

Make sure you have real riding boots, they frown on pedestrian gear. There is an old pair of 10.5's in my trailer if I drive.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #53765
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Agreed. The skills(z?) would be fun to watch if it didn't erk me to no end that they're out in public pissing off citizens and law enforcement alike. The way I figure it, every one of those cars that they cut-off, or blocked, or pulled out in front of, is now anti-motorcycles; every cop that they're fucking with is now harboring a grudge against bikes.

They're the people that are now going to floor it when we try to pass them on a back country road because they think we're going to mess with them.

They're the cops that are going to pull us over for piddly shit because they assume we are like these guys when they're not looking.
!
In Baltimore, they were going to do that anyways! I had the misfortune of living there for 3 years.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #53766
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Make sure you have real riding boots, they frown on pedestrian gear. There is an old pair of 10.5's in my trailer if I drive.
My 690 is sporting a new set of MT21s, just spooned them on last weekend. You are welcome to take it for a spin through the woods if you like.

I was planning to wear my usual off road riding gear so I should be good with the gear police. Thanks for the tip though.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #53767
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

The pony has Alpinestar AYC Tech 3 boots for $99 right now.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...0Boots/Class1/
(Some sizes in black too)

Price is pretty ridiculous for a name-brand, reputable (albeit entry level), boot. Get them online with a couple of stickers for free shipping.
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Kyle needed new boots and since I had to go to the doctor in columbus today it worked out good. He also needed new pants and a jacket and we found both in his size on sale.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #53768
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Kyle needed new boots and since I had to go to the doctor in columbus today it worked out good. He also needed new pants and a jacket and we found both in his size on sale.
How's the recovery going Alan? I was thinking about editing our ride video with Kory when we were at Perry. Don't want to depress you though. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #53769
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Suppose I'll have to invest some $ in gear before something like this. Plenty of local abandoned roads around here to keep me busy for awhile.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #53770
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Suppose I'll have to invest some $ in gear before something like this. Plenty of local abandoned roads around here to keep me busy for awhile.
I saw the Meef's patrolling the area the last time I was there. I thought for sure Mark was going to get that crown vic stuck...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #53771
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,186
You mother fuckers realize there is a appropriate forum called "Church, State & Money" for political and societal views in the basement, right?

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #53772
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
You mother fuckers realize there is a appropriate forum called "Church, State & Money" for political and societal views in the basement, right?
+1 I kept trying to change the topic all day.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #53773
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Yeah, we all realize it.

We talk about 20 different things that have a dedicated forum and some of them are contentious topics that can easily spiral into arguments....and sometimes do. *cough, videos*

Nobody in their right mind wants to go to CS&M, or we'd all be down there getting called names for having an opinion.

Wanna fight about it? There's a forum for that too.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #53774
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
How's the recovery going Alan? I was thinking about editing our ride video with Kory when we were at Perry. Don't want to depress you though. ;)
Recovery is slower then I would like. He said it looks like my bones are growing together good and I can start to put some weight on it. I start therapy next week. I go back to the doctor Dec. 5th he said I may or may not beable to walk by then that everyone heals diffrent.

alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #53775
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
+1 I kept trying to change the topic all day.

here, try this:

so, MoparmanPete lent me his compression tester yesterday. It has the right size adapter to fit the XRs spark plug hole, but unfortunately its too short to reach...so I had to make my own adapter out of an old plug:

and was able today to get a reading. Spec is 171-185 psi...best I was able to get out of it was 90 but mostly it was 60-70. Then I did the "wet test" by pouring some oil down into the cylinder and trying again...this time I was able to see 120 psi as the top. This pretty much told me that I have a ring problem. So I pulled the top end off:

everything looked pretty good...next came the head and this is what I found:

man, thats a lot of carbon buildup

and the valve faces look about the same:

So, I think I've found the problem...went by Ask and ordered a set of rings which will be in tomorrow, then I'll pull the jug, replace the rings, and after spending a good while cleaning all that crap off the piston and valves, put her back together.

As far as I can tell, theres no issue with the valves seating, but I am gonna want to compress the valves and have a look at the seats. Anyone got a valve spring compressor I can borrow?

oh, and thanks again Pete for the use of the compression tester. meant to drop it off to ya on my way to Ask, but totally forgot. By the time I remembered, yinz were closed.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote