ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #53791
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer
 
vivid dadas's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Thumbolia
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Damn alan that's some serious hardware. What's the deal with the fibula? Is it broken without hardware or just an optical illusion?
They got that tibia aligned so beautifully that the fibula is "close enough." That looks like a great repair to me. I know you had a horrible injury, I hope your recovery continues.
__________________
"Five stinking radicals in a three cylinder Saab!"
vivid dadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #53792
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts
 
GailCallsMeKarl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tioga, Texas
Oddometer: 832
Holy hardware, Alan! You have an erector set in your leg! Hope you rehab quickly!
__________________
"....the poster child for "Bike-Fu for Women", self defense techniques on the trail." ~ Danjal

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #53793
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post

I got a fixing plate like that on my Fibula in 1996 from a lowside on XR650L. I ripped the plate off & pretty much destroyed my Tibula in 2005 on another XR650L. I now have this thing called a Tibula Nail. I am surprised yours was not fixed like that as I think it is a very popular way to stabilize the lower leg. I seem to talk to lots of people who have gotten a nail in the last 10 years or so.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #53794
alansz400
Studly Adventurer
 
alansz400's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Loudonville ohio
Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I got a fixing plate like that on my Fibula in 1996 from a lowside on XR650L. I ripped the plate off & pretty much destroyed my Tibula in 2005 on another XR650L. I now have this thing called a Tibula Nail. I am surprised yours was not fixed like that as I think it is a very popular way to stabilize the lower leg. I seem to talk to lots of people who have gotten a nail in the last 10 years or so.
The lady at work has one of those and she healed up real quick. My guess is that since my bone was crushed and not a clean break I got the plate? The nail sure looks like it would make the bone strong.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #53795
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
So these people riding in the street on one wheel are no different than the rich who think they are entitled to the entire road? The star boys who are no different, they just wear gay clothes and cover there bikes in fur while riding like idiots but at least 1 in 5 probably still have their licenses and insurance still.
White trash & trailer trash are not so indifferent either when it comes to ambition and are far worse when it comes to hygiene and clean clothes. At least most of the supposed ghetto folks around me keep their yards free of wheeless cars, trash and refrigerators but do own on the average at least 1 pit bull.
Since we're outing everyone - we almost forgot about 'scooter trash'

(Fairfield Cty. 10-25-12)
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #53796
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,753
My dislike for the DRZ400 is well known, but if anyone's looking for a super clean "E", this is a good deal, practically brand new:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3364619996.html
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #53797
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Stockum Family Graveyard -

Linton Twp. Coshocton County -
Lat. N40.21025
Long. W81.77978

Interesting stories - see www.graveaddiction.com

I don't know where they buried the head. . .

There was a narrow gauge bull dozer there today extending some trail.

__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #53798
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Wow, that is a shit ton of carbon.

I have a Snap On valve grinder, seat grinder, and spring compressor. I even have the tools to make the stones for cutting different seat angles. We can throw a 3 angle valve job on her if you want....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
thanks for the offer...if it does become necessary, think you'll be free friday or saturday afternoon/evening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Yes to both, Saturday afternoon we might go somewhere to watch OSU since we don't have cable. If you can't get it together, you can borrow my baby KLR, it;s just sitting here..

looks like I need to take you up on that offer of the valve grind....following MoparmanPete's excellent suggestion of a leakdown test, I found that the exhaust valves leak like a sieve...now, it could just be carbon buildup that can be cleaned up, but knowing my luck with this bike...I'm betting not.

I'd like come up tomorrow afternoon, if thats good for you...?
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #53799
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
looks like I need to take you up on that offer of the valve grind....following MoparmanPete's excellent suggestion of a leakdown test, I found that the exhaust valves leak like a sieve...now, it could just be carbon buildup that can be cleaned up, but knowing my luck with this bike...I'm betting not.

I'd like come up tomorrow afternoon, if thats good for you...?

Maybe, my number is 419-295-7226, drop me a line beforehand to make sure I'll be around. Are the rockers still on? I would make sure that valve is closed. During the leakdown test, I would take a brass mallet and tap the valve a few times to see if it reseats.

I'll check with my dad, he might have a scale to check valve springs, otherwise, we might be able to make something.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #53800
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Maybe, my number is 419-295-7226, drop me a line beforehand to make sure I'll be around. Are the rockers still on? I would make sure that valve is closed. During the leakdown test, I would take a brass mallet and tap the valve a few times to see if it reseats.

I'll check with my dad, he might have a scale to check valve springs, otherwise, we might be able to make something.

yes, the valves were definitely closed, the rockers attach to the top cover, separate from the head, which you have to remove to get the head off...so theres nothing to keep it open. the leakdown test I did was simply to pour a liquid (parts cleaner) down the intake and exhaust ports in the head and watch to see if anything gets past the valves. Intake valves were good, but exhaust side both leaked. We dont necessarily need to do a grind, but the seats need to be cleaned up if nothing else.

I get off work at 2 and should be able to be at your place by 4.
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #53801
Moparmanpete
Support all riders
 
Moparmanpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ohio
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
yes, the valves were definitely closed, the rockers attach to the top cover, separate from the head, which you have to remove to get the head off...so theres nothing to keep it open. the leakdown test I did was simply to pour a liquid (parts cleaner) down the intake and exhaust ports in the head and watch to see if anything gets past the valves. Intake valves were good, but exhaust side both leaked. We dont necessarily need to do a grind, but the seats need to be cleaned up if nothing else.

I get off work at 2 and should be able to be at your place by 4.
I have a hand lapping tool and lapping compound if you need it.

BTW keep ahold of the compression tester till you get it back together so you can check it again to see where you are at. I'm in no hurry whats so ever to get it back, I'm still waiting on murray's to finish my parts for the XL and got the scoot back on the road today

Pete
__________________
"The reward is in the doing of it" "If you don't go when you to want to go, when you do go you'll find you've gone" BM
08 Wildfire 150 Scoot "The Virus"
The Virus's RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826703
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #53802
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Well y'all missed a great big bike ride. Did several tar hallow area roads before heading down to Richland furnace. The plan was to keep going south but we ran out of time. I've never seen so many people out in the middle of nowhere. We got stopped and yelled at for being on private property coming off a power line trail, then we found a (friendly) truck up in an aep area, and then on another abandoned road we came upon a couple of older guys in a side by side utility thing trucking up the trail. They both were nice enough and waving as they passed, which was extremely comforting, considering they were each visibly packing heat.

We absolutely pushed the bikes to their limits. What a blast!







The leaves were rediculous in places.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #53803
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I have a hand lapping tool and lapping compound if you need it.

BTW keep ahold of the compression tester till you get it back together so you can check it again to see where you are at. I'm in no hurry whats so ever to get it back, I'm still waiting on murray's to finish my parts for the XL and got the scoot back on the road today

Pete

I almost brought it to you and then I thought about it and decided to check it after its all back together...

glad to hear you got the scooter going...
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #53804
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,466
I wish I coulda joined ya Mike...who all was there?
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #53805
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,029
Colorado Trail - Continental Divide Trail Dual Sport Ride on WR250R

__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014