ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #54001
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous
 
steveb126's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Wooster,OH
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I don't really know how to answer that.

Maybe...?

I don't enjoy "farkling" this one - it's more like "arrgh, I need to do this???"

I miss the lack of payment on the V-Strom especially. If I were doing it over again at this juncture, I think I would either keep the V-Strom or opt for a used Tiger 800.
I bet it will continue to grow on you.
I like riding 'em more than working on 'em.
Thanks for the reminder about the payments. I want more HP, like an FZ1, FZ8 and I've drooled over the Tenere. I came to realize the Strom is a darn good match for my skill set after some spirited riding trips this past summer. I've had more powerful bikes and not managed to hurt myself, but I think maybe the Strom is the funnest all around bike I've ever owned. Just turned 30k miles on it.
__________________
I may not be much, but I'm all I think about.
Wee & Wingabago Wanderings
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #54002
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
It's not like he's doing any, ahem, damage and you can't argue with the money.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #54003
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Well he's already using porno music in his videos...lol
That explains the chick stripping as I drive down the street playing it on the radio. Sorry about the rash on accidents in Columbus because of it.
__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #54004
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Did the clutch mod give you more power in 1st and 2nd?
I'm not sure "more power" really is accurate, but I'll be damned if I can come up with a better descriptor. It's smoother starting out in 1-2, for sure.

If I'm holding the throttle steady in 3rd gear, and I flip the switch to "on" (simulating pulling in the clutch), there is a noticeable surge of power.

I use the switch so that around town I can have smoother starts from stopped positions, and on the road I can shut it off and save a bit of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Come on down to the ranch, 11 hunnerd miles one-way.
I may take you up on that soon, once we get in the butt fuck of winter I could probably run straight south until warm, and then straight west.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #54005
Whitey1
"Whitebread"
 
Whitey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Marion, Ohio
Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm not sure "more power" really is accurate, but I'll be damned if I can come up with a better descriptor. It's smoother starting out in 1-2, for sure.

If I'm holding the throttle steady in 3rd gear, and I flip the switch to "on" (simulating pulling in the clutch), there is a noticeable surge of power.

I use the switch so that around town I can have smoother starts from stopped positions, and on the road I can shut it off and save a bit of gas.
Cool, thanks for the detail. I had heard talk of gears 1-3 having the ignition retarded to save wear and tear on the drivetrain. Or something like that and wondered if it was in fact noticeable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah;19941874
I may take you up on that soon, once we get in the[I
butt fuck of winter[/I] I could probably run straight south until warm, and then straight west.
Things sure are different in your town. We just have to deal with salty roads and potholes.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #54006
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: CAK - Ohio
Oddometer: 207
I'd like to find a super low shield to eliminate the buffeting but there's nothing currently out there

You may want to consider taking the screen to a glass shop and have it cut down. I did that at Advance Auto Glass (N Canton) with my ZG sport touring screen for my Bandit. I think that the cut it down for $20 and did a great job.
__________________
"If you have to worry about the risk, you're dead already." Paul Newman
sjsred323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #54007
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Danjal sez:

"I don't know what most of you folks do for a living for that matter"

I won't bore you with my occupation...I have tried explaining to some face to face and they still aren't clear what I do....so trying to do it with my usual short smart ass online answer won't work at all...

Lets put it this way....it requires a passport and patience
So you work for the CIA. I need a favor. . .
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #54008
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Send me the dimensions, I have 3 rear springs in my garage, you are welcome to try one if it is close. If you go to some of the spring companies and or sites like Race Tech suspension will have charts with the stock spring rates and what's available. I think 2 of the springs I have are labeled with the rate and one is an XR spring which uses oddball Honda rates and is pretty much 2 or 3 times what anyone else uses. I also have some fronts but may be too big around.
Thx! Email sent.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #54009
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Yeppers, you might get lucky and find a spring that fits. Otherwise, you will need to make some spacers or coller adapters. What's the inner diameter and length? Any idea what the stock spring rate is? I might be able to help find one for you.

Sasquatch and Cogent Dynamics (both inmates here) should be able to revalve it for you, if you don't mind sending it out. They can probably source a spring as well.
I need to read closer ... missed your offer to help find a spring.

Spring Dimensions:
Spring free length: 9 13/16"
Spring O.D.: 3"
Spring I.D.: 2"
Wire diameter: 0.475" (didn't scrape the paint off, however, so this is a little high)


Spoke to a couple of shops today, including Cogent. 1st call was to Bruce's Suspension. He does revalves on the sealed CRF230F shock .. was hoping he would be willing to take a look at this one. Turns out he's going through some medical stuff and isn't taking any work until December at the earliest. 2nd call was to Cogent. Spoke to Rick ... great guy. Spent a 1/2 hour talking options/cost for a custom build. Tempting.

Will make some more calls tomorrow.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #54010
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven
 
z@ch's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tejas Norte
Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
I may take you up on that soon, once we get in the butt fuck of winter I could probably run straight south and then straight west.
Yeah, I'm not gonna miss the grey...

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #54011
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I need to read closer ... missed your offer to help find a spring.

Spring Dimensions:
Spring free length: 9 13/16"
Spring O.D.: 3"
Spring I.D.: 2"
Wire diameter: 0.475" (didn't scrape the paint off, however, so this is a little high)


Spoke to a couple of shops today, including Cogent. 1st call was to Bruce's Suspension. He does revalves on the sealed CRF230F shock .. was hoping he would be willing to take a look at this one. Turns out he's going through some medical stuff and isn't taking any work until December at the earliest. 2nd call was to Cogent. Spoke to Rick ... great guy. Spent a 1/2 hour talking options/cost for a custom build. Tempting.

Will make some more calls tomorrow.
Remind me Sunday,that sounds close to a dr650 spring. I've got a stock spring that you could have if you could use it. Otherwise I'll hand it off to someone else here that could use a full stock set.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #54012
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsred323i View Post
I'd like to find a super low shield to eliminate the buffeting but there's nothing currently out there

You may want to consider taking the screen to a glass shop and have it cut down. I did that at Advance Auto Glass (N Canton) with my ZG sport touring screen for my Bandit. I think that the cut it down for $20 and did a great job.
Hey thanks!

They get the "taper" on the edge correct, so it looks factory, and doesn't look like some mook with a hacksaw went to town on it? I'm not that concerned with aesthetics, but I can do a shitty job all by myself.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #54013
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Meef,
I understand what you are saying. I miss the klr daily. She was like one of the kids and took me a lot of places.
I'd be happy to sell it back to you. $4500 and she's yours
__________________
Never turn your back on Fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #54014
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Hey thanks!

They get the "taper" on the edge correct, so it looks factory, and doesn't look like some mook with a hacksaw went to town on it? I'm not that concerned with aesthetics, but I can do a shitty job all by myself.
I cut down a windscreen on my Honda Shadow back in the day. Sanding the edge with finer and finer grit sandpaper produced a pretty nice edge. Used a jig saw with the speed set real low to keep the heat down ... if it gets hot, you'll melt the plastic causing some issues.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #54015
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Remind me Sunday,that sounds close to a dr650 spring. I've got a stock spring that you could have if you could use it. Otherwise I'll hand it off to someone else here that could use a full stock set.
"Remind me Sunday"? We going to church?
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014