ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #54151
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
... Bolt on the protective bits like a skid plate and real hand guards if you haven't already and go have fun with it. Getting the seat height, bar position and suspension set up for you will do more to make you comfortable and help you learn faster and ride faster than a different bike. If the seat seems low, there is a good chance the bars are a bit low when you are standing as well.

In case you didn't read it before your purchase. these guys did a nice write up:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rev...50r-23644.html
Already have the protective parts. Skidplate (Richocet), rad guard (flatland, came with), and handguards (Tusk). It came with Tusk bars (CR mid I think), I added 30mm risers. I can now stand all day on it. That 3 gal IMS tank is nice as well, I stopped for gas 3 times Sunday (never dry, but topped off), can't imagine having a smaller one. The suspension was set up for a 215 lb rider, so its pretty close for me at 200.
All of those write ups are pretty close, seems like the WRR is ahead of the game.

BTW, where's the ride this weekend?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #54152
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Already have the protective parts. Skidplate (Richocet), rad guard (flatland, came with), and handguards (Tusk). It came with Tusk bars (CR mid I think), I added 30mm risers. I can now stand all day on it. That 3 gal IMS tank is nice as well, I stopped for gas 3 times Sunday (never dry, but topped off), can't imagine having a smaller one. The suspension was set up for a 215 lb rider, so its pretty close for me at 200.
All of those write ups are pretty close, seems like the WRR is ahead of the game.

BTW, where's the ride this weekend?
Sounds like it is pretty well sorted for you aside from the seat. I didn't realize it had all that on it already. Take the time to set the sag with all your gear on and it sounds like you are ready to go play.
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #54153
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
EXC vs.WRR

As the owner of a 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F I'll jump in here. Admittedly I haven't owned a Yamaha dirt bike since about 1979-I still have the 1977 Penton 175 that replaced my last Yamaha. Fuel economy was mentioned-my 350 has returned a consistent 55mpg since new. The fuel injection has functioned flawlessly, perhaps slightly on the lean side but certainly not so bad as unrideable, super crisp throttle response, excellent idle and starting. Concerning the electrical system the owners manual says the stator output is 168 watts. I'm more concerned with having adequate lighting than heated gear. The bike still comes with a 35w headlight but the stator should certainly support a 60w bulb. The manual does not include a wiring diagram but what I see from looking at the harness and reg/rec it looks like KTM has finally abandoned their ridiculous split AC/DC system. Habit, convenience, and choice of shop certainly influenced my purchase. The nearest Yamaha shop is 45 minutes away, the KTM shop is 15 and I have to drive by it at least once a week. (WTF there isn't even a Honda shop in Yo. anymore.) The guys there treat me great-know me by name, nice discount, feed me when I show up at an event. I also got a great deal on a 2013 in August, I think because it is an EXC and they didn't want to get stuck with it. One more thing... it's a 350!
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #54154
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I guess I've been away from ktmtalk too much. I missed that they made the 350 an EXC and fuel injected. That makes it a strong contender against the WRR with more of an off road performance leaning. Still, the WRR is a good bike for the buck despite the extra 50 lbs.
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #54155
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
I guess I've been away from ktmtalk too much. I missed that they made the 350 an EXC and fuel injected. That makes it a strong contender against the WRR with more of an off road performance leaning. Still, the WRR is a good bike for the buck despite the extra 50 lbs.
The Beta 400RR is a hell of a dual sport option too, not nearly as common as the KTM but on paper a great "do all" bike. It's a 349cc, 250lb 6-speed with a good suspension. Street price is similar to the KTM. The only downside is the lack of dealer network, but Iron Pony is carrying Beta and they're very popular in other countries so aftermarket and parts are out there.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #54156
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:

Too bad KTM decided not to make the 690 Adventure:

Make your own

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-rally-raid-690-990-products

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
...looking at the harness and reg/rec it looks like KTM has finally abandoned their ridiculous split AC/DC system.

....the KTM shop is 15 and I have to drive by it at least once a week. (WTF there isn't even a Honda shop in Yo. anymore.)

...The guys there treat me great-know me by name, nice discount... I also got a great deal on a 2013 in August, I think because it is an EXC and they didn't want to get stuck with it. One more thing... it's a 350!

Hey Pete, my 250 has that split system, I have the lights on AC and just the starter is on DC. BMoto54 lives up on the N side of Yo and is in the same situation as you are and said Cleveland (where he works) is even worse for dealers. I'm guessing you are dealing with Pointview? I rode over there a couple weeks ago to get brake pads and a front sprocket for the 950, nice guys, good deals. BMoto uses them also I believe. I remember when that place was a dance hall.

For those who care, Crow Canyon will be privatized for next year and will be closed to the general public.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #54157
Rich B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
mgorman sez:

"For those who care, Crow Canyon will be privatized for next year and will be closed to the general public"

Yep, private club and fortunately, one of my co workers who still likes me (he doesn't know me very well ) is part of the management structure.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #54158
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
mgorman sez:

"For those who care, Crow Canyon will be privatized for next year and will be closed to the general public"

Yep, private club and fortunately, one of my co workers who still likes me (he doesn't know me very well ) is part of the management structure.
Apparently they are selling, or will be selling quite shortly, memberships. They are around $300 a year though, which is more than I care to spend. Actually, Crow is pretty decent, but I'd have no interest in a membeship even if they were $100 / year, and I live within sight of the place.

They are moving their "pro shop" to Philly, too; which kind of sucks. I liked running up the road to grab something I needed.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #54159
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Apparently they are selling, or will be selling quite shortly, memberships. They are around $300 a year though, which is more than I care to spend. Actually, Crow is pretty decent, but I'd have no interest in a membeship even if they were $100 / year, and I live within sight of the place.

They are moving their "pro shop" to Philly, too; which kind of sucks. I liked running up the road to grab something I needed.
Yeah you would, hell you spent $45 to be a member of the shittiest gun range in Ohio.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #54160
Rich B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Meef sez:

"Actually, Crow is pretty decent, but I'd have no interest in a membeship even if they were $100 / year, and I live within sight of the place."

Yea, but the way I understand it, the members can bring a guest. And we both know one of the members of the management team....... But for most of my off road riding, I just go up behind the house

The guys who run the shop wanted to grow....so the "pro shop" needed to move on up.....sure is convenient for me on the way home
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #54161
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
I'll decide when I find out what they plan to do with the mx track.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #54162
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
As the owner of a 2013 KTM 350 EXC-F I'll jump in here.... it's a 350!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The Beta 400RR is a hell of a dual sport option too...
I'll be watching for used ones in a couple years. I have heard that the FI KTM's are the cat's ass.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #54163
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Yeah you would, hell you spent $45 to be a member of the shittiest gun range in Ohio.
Only because they caught me there shooting and I was compelled to join on the spot.

Remember, I tried to tell the guy I was your life partner and was covered under your membership?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #54164
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Only because they caught me there shooting and I was compelled to join on the spot.

Remember, I tried to tell the guy I was your life partner and was covered under your membership?
That was some funny shit! That old man did a double take then kept right on insisting for a membership.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #54165
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
(The WR250R) won't get upset with you for riding pavement, you'll just wear the tires, chain and sprockets a bit more.
As a noob, this seems counterintuitive. I would have thought off road riding would cause more wear due to the abrasiveness of sand, dirt, rocks, etc.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote