ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #54256
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Maybe if you're not babysitting...
Shit, he'll be changing tires for me and probobly on a 250 by then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Too bad dude, we've only got 6 more weekends before the world ends.
The Mayans didn't know about leap years, Dec 21 was like a year ago on their calendar...however, if the world ends after I wnt to all the trouble of building this house Ima be pissed....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #54257
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
F w i w

Quote:
Any of you besides Kory ever ridden in the Piece Pipe Enduro? I don't want to get in over my head and get hurt or something...

I'd be on the WRR with a new rear tire but I'm sure everyone else will be on a real dirt bikes.
I've never ridden it myself - but a I know a former District 11 250 champ that sold his bike after slogging it across some creek down there 31 times. . . funny now - but true. He always dreaded that race - the season opener.

Go For It! When I followed you for 100 miles at the Baby Burr you did really well. You rarely hesitated on the trail and kept on the move - and at excellent clip for your 1 year of off-road experience. The trick is to minimize mistakes - mistakes usually eat up my strength and energy and then I struggle. If you ride the Novice/Woodsman class (of which I would advise) you will be riding a trail that 100+ riders had traversed an hour earlier - not only traversed, but ripped apart. Sometimes this points out the better / less used lines. Other times, the sh*t-holes could use an major application of Preperation H.

The good news is that you won't find any Chillicothe-type enduro hills (always easier downhill, with the help of gravity. . .)

By all means - do it. Or you will kick yourself in the ass for the next 5 months for weeny-ing out - 30 miles from home. When it's over, it's was never really as bad as you thought while on the trail. GIve it a year, and you'll be ready for 31 creek crossings again.

No film though - this is a race!

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:00 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #54258
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
If you don't mind an extra count me in. I assume you are meeting at the trailhead south of New Straitsville on 595 not the Begley Campground??
Correct...trailhead lot, not Begleys.

Don't mind at all, btw.

With this many guys showing up, I'm not gonna try to keep the group together tight. Since the main corridor is hard to get lost on, we'll just all go at our own pace heading south and I'll stop at the big parking lot trailhead just north of Nelsonville and collect everyone up. Then head into Nelsonville and chow down, head up to the other loop after that...ride around in there for a while and head back up to the parking lot in NS again. That way no problem if anyone breaks off or gets lost. You have to go north up the main corridor to get to the parking lot again, or if you didn't trailer you can just ride out any of the county roads.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #54259
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
This Sunday - New Straitsville Trail Head - 10am

Tenative Wayne Headcount as I see it:

Bob Ramsay?
a

I'll be there - early.

This is a 10:00 on the trail as opposed to a 10:01 pulling into the parking lot ride ------------ right?
Either way works - one not as well as the other - at times. . .

FWIW
I used to run on down SR33 a couple of exits south of SR93 and take SR 595 N directly to the NS trail head. RIght where the NEW FREEWAY BY-PASS starts.
Maybe save 2-3 miles. Maybe not, but fewer 2 lane miles and skip the lights in Logan.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:06 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #54260
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
With this many guys showing up, I'm not gonna try to keep the group together tight.
I also saw this coming. I forsee breaking down into smaller groups of like-speeded people.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #54261
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,982
Well long day today and I never had a chance to check over the KTM in the day light like I was hopeing to. I think I may whimp out in favor of some simple road riding with friends.

Thanks Steve, hope you and Benly get out and have a fun but safe ride.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #54262
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,209
It sucks living over here in Flatistan!!! I'm trying to talk myself out of running this enduro because I've never done one before... :( I need a buddy of equal (or lesser ) skill level riding with me!

What about you Rocky from Sidney? What to ride in an enduro with me? (I'm not saying you suck or anything btw!)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #54263
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
It sucks living over here in Flatistan!!! I'm trying to talk myself out of running this enduro because I've never done one before...
Dude, you'll regret it! Ride in the sportsman class and you'll find others. I've regretted missing the dual sport earlier this season ever since.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #54264
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Sunny, 60 degrees and no rain for the last week.

Quote:
It sucks living over here in Flatistan!!! I'm trying to talk myself out of running this enduro because I've never done one before... :( I need a buddy of equal (or lesser ) skill level riding with me!

What about you Rocky from Sidney? What to ride in an enduro with me? (I'm not saying you suck or anything btw!)
Whut up, Pup!

I believe that every rider is of equal or lesser skill than you - just some will be better, but, at a minimum - they're at least equal.

Don't worry - perfect strangers will help with your stuck bike (remember - minimize mistakes).
Especially along the 'challenging creek sections' . . .plenty of come-alongs and pick-up trucks on the shore - ready to call the Squad.
Might make it on Dumbest Things on 2 Wheels show.

Scared now?

Don't puss out now - it's just a dual sport ride in which you can keep on a time schedule - and even that is optional now (I believe - check the rules).
Look around the pits - and you'll see guys old enough to be your father.
Just bring a fresh tampon in your fanny-bag and you'll be fine.
Remember about that 5 long winter months of Weeny-time.

Remember - at one point in time you'd never had sex before - either. And you didn't die (yet).

BTW - I saw a lightly used, 2009 or 2010 Husaburg 450 over at WheelSports (Columbus) this morning - about 1/2 the price of a NEW 2013 350EXC. . . Extremely clean - Very nice!!!!!!!
It appeard to have your name written all over it -
and you wouldn't have to take all the abuse about owning one of those orange bikes.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 04:44 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #54265
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Thanks for the encouragement guys! It's just my first enduro and don't really know what to expect. I know it is going to be mostly flat but those creek/ditch crossings will be scary. lol

I've been watching videos of last years race and that's probably why I'm getting nervous.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #54266
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,982
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys! It's just my first enduro and don't really know what to expect. I know it is going to be mostly flat but those creek/ditch crossings will be scary. lol

I've been watching videos of last years race and that's probably why I'm getting nervous.
Last year the weather was like this too and everyone was making record times. Part of the reason I decided not to film it this year. Not enough big crashes and mass mud pits.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #54267
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
This is a 10:00 on the trail as opposed to a 10:01 pulling into the parking lot ride ------------ right?
Be there 10am in the lot, roll out 15-20 minutes later when everyone has their britches and lids on...at least if you're planning on following me, no harm in getting there early and doing your own thing, if you're antsy.

If you're late or get separated, head south on the main trail and meet up at the parking lot at Carbon Hill Road. If you go through a big parking lot and hit a big concrete bridge, you went too far.

If you leave on your own from the trailhead, you'll come to a "stop" sign right after the parking lot. Turn right there and that's the main south corridor. Then just keep on it.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #54268
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post

BTW - I saw a lightly used, 2009 or 2010 Husaburg 450 over at WheelSports (Columbus) this morning - about 1/2 the price of a NEW 2013 350EXC. . . Extremely clean - Very nice!!!!!!!
It appeard to have your name written all over it -
and you wouldn't have to take all the abuse about owning one of those orange bikes.
Hmm, isn't that made by KTM anyway?

It's has EFI too. hmm...

indypup screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #54269
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Be there 10am in the lot, roll out 15-20 minutes later when everyone has their britches and lids on...at least if you're planning on following me, no harm in getting there early and doing your own thing, if you're antsy.

If you're late or get separated, head south on the main trail and meet up at the parking lot at Carbon Hill Road. If you go through a big parking lot and hit a big concrete bridge, you went too far.

If you leave on your own from the trailhead, you'll come to a "stop" sign right after the parking lot. Turn right there and that's the main south corridor. Then just keep on it.
With so many attending ...... I know there will be plenty of help when I sink the 800 into the muck.

I'll be there!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #54270
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Shit, I don't even know if my KTM is going to start as I haven't even looked at it in over 2 months much less tell if my shoulder/arm is going to hold up. Hate to call you a pussy, but load that bad boy up and be at my house 8:30 Sunday and bring your friends, they are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Well long day today and I never had a chance to check over the KTM in the day light like I was hopeing to. I think I may whimp out in favor of some simple road riding with friends.

Thanks Steve, hope you and Benly get out and have a fun but safe ride.