ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #54601
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
D'oh, I thought it was yesterday? lol Happy Birthday (again) Shawn!
Facebook thought it was last week. Either way, have a happy one Shawn.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #54602
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Anyone looking for a KLR? Think I'm going to sell my 1993. It has about 20k & a few scratches (I put it down hard once on gravel, been dropped at low speed multiple times, occasionally in the same day ) still looks good. Honestly in better shape than most of the newer bikes I see posted. A few guys saw it at Dox's gathering, that was before the gravel incident. Doo has been done, valves recently adjusted, new sprockets & X ring chain, fork oil changed, new fork boots, brake pads, automotive fuseholders, yada yada yada. You'll be hard pressed to come up with any maintenance item that I haven't done.Bone stock performance wise. Super reliable bike, has never used a drop of oil. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country tomorrow. I haven't started it since I picked up the WRR, it just sits. I'm thinking in the $1800 range, may move a little. Would be interested in taking a small bike on trade (z50, pw50, ct70, etc. maybe 85) would like to start teaching my daughter to ride. PM me for pics, questions, offers.

ruppster screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:11 PM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #54603
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Anyone looking for a KLR? Think I'm going to sell my 1993. It has about 20k & a few scratches (I put it down hard once on gravel, been dropped at low speed multiple times, occasionally in the same day ) still looks good. Honestly in better shape than most of the newer bikes I see posted. A few guys saw it at Dox's gathering, that was before the gravel incident. Doo has been done, valves recently adjusted, new sprockets & X ring chain, fork oil changed, new fork boots, brake pads, automotive fuseholders, yada yada yada. You'll be hard pressed to come up with any maintenance item that I haven't done.Bone stock performance wise. Super reliable bike, has never used a drop of oil. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country tomorrow. I haven't started it since I picked up the WRR, it just sits. I'm thinking in the $1800 range, may move a little. Would be interested in taking a small bike on trade (z50, pw50, ct70, etc. maybe 85) would like to start teaching my daughter to ride. PM me for pics, questions, offers.
Sending you a PM.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #54604
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203

Some video from the Black Friday ride.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #54605
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post

Some video from the Black Friday ride.

man, you shoulda passed that guy in the red, he was just slowing u down

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #54606
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I need to get rid of my 2008 too. I'm in same situation as you. Got the WRR and the KLR rarely sees any action unless I take Indy along. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #54607
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Stopped in at the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer this morning to take gander at the two-fiddy's. They had both a CRF250L and KLX250S on hand for direct comparison and I definitely like the Honda better. As for why, well...
  • Like the looks of the Honda a lot more. I just didn't care for all the black on the black/green 2012 KLX they had.
  • I like how the radiator hose/water pump inlet is up high and out of the way on the Honda compared to being way down low on the Kawi.
  • The seat on the Honda was much more comfortable.
I was real tempted to write a check right then and there for the CRF, but unfortunately I have to wait and see what the a-holes in Washington are going to do with the tax code before I can make that kind of commitment. That's the one big downside of being self-employed - I pay my income tax in one lump sum every year and if they let the Bush tax cuts expire and/or greatly reduce exemptions and write-offs for small businesses the amount I have to pay is going to be a lot higher than it was last year.

Here's hoping they get off their asses and get something worked out before Christmas so I can have an idea what I'll owe and maybe, just maybe, can put a new bike under the tree for myself.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #54608
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Stopped in at the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer this morning to take gander at the two-fiddy's. They had both a CRF250L and KLX250S on hand for direct comparison and I definitely like the Honda better. As for why, well...
  • Like the looks of the Honda a lot more. I just didn't care for all the black on the black/green 2012 KLX they had.
  • I like how the radiator hose/water pump inlet is up high and out of the way on the Honda compared to being way down low on the Kawi.
  • The seat on the Honda was much more comfortable.
I was real tempted to write a check right then and there for the CRF, but unfortunately I have to wait and see what the a-holes in Washington are going to do with the tax code before I can make that kind of commitment. That's the one big downside of being self-employed - I pay my income tax in one lump sum every year and if they let the Bush tax cuts expire and/or greatly reduce exemptions and write-offs for small businesses the amount I have to pay is going to be a lot higher than it was last year.

Here's hoping they get off their asses and get something worked out before Christmas so I can have an idea what I'll owe and maybe, just maybe, can put a new bike under the tree for myself.
Sounds like the Honda is the one for you. Is the WR250 not an option for some reason?
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #54609
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
Sounds like the Honda is the one for you. Is the WR250 not an option for some reason?
Price mainly. I just can't justify spending $6700 on a WRR given how I'll use it. For what the WRR costs new I can buy the CRF and do all the performance mods and upgrade the suspension and still have a few bucks left over.

The other factor is where I live. Being smack dab in the middle of the NTZ (aka the flatlands of NW Ohio) my off-roading opportunities are pretty slim, and most likely if/when I want to do some trail riding I'll throw it in the back of the truck for the 3+ hour haul down to southern Ohio. For me it will be more of a local commuter, errand runner and play bike.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #54610
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Price mainly. I just can't justify spending $6700 on a WRR given how I'll use it. For what the WRR costs new I can buy the CRF and do all the performance mods and upgrade the suspension and still have a few bucks left over.

The other factor is where I live. Being smack dab in the middle of the NTZ (aka the flatlands of NW Ohio) my off-roading opportunities are pretty slim, and most likely if/when I want to do some trail riding I'll throw it in the back of the truck for the 3+ hour haul down to southern Ohio. For me it will be more of a local commuter, errand runner and play bike.
Why not buy a gently used WRR? Even a year-old mint one will have lost enough in depreciation to be where the CRF is brand new, and then there's no suspension or performance upgrades really needed.

This assumes that the new tax burden isn't going to be a real kick in the balls, but I am quite certain that we're all going to be paying more across the board. (cue someone pissing their diapers because we're talking about CS&M garbage)

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #54611
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
but I am quite certain that we're all going to be paying more across the board. (cue someone pissing their diapers because we're talking about CS&M garbage)
47% won't be.

I concur on the used WRR. $3-4k is less than the Honda and gets you in a better bike. They are indestructible. Mines at 22,000 now and I don't even think of that as many miles for this engine.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #54612
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Why not buy a gently used WRR?
I think this rules out Indypups bike, although I don't think its for sale
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #54613
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I think this rules out Indypups bike, although I don't think its for sale
Nope not for sale yet. I did take it past the KTM dealer and they said they would give me $2,800 for the trade in as is. I haven't broken anything else since then.

I doubt anyone on here or who has watched my wideos (except Sion) would want my WRR anyway.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #54614
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Plastics and bars are cheap, motors and frames aren't. What's the best trade in value for that year WRR? I wonder how much you'd have to invest in cosmetics to make it back in value?

I'd rather buy your bike and fix the minor things than one from someone like Justin Barcia or Jeff Stanton. (I'm not in the market) They said the wheelbase on Stanton's bike would grow inches over the course of months from his riding style compared to someone like McGrath and the Japanese engineers would be perplexed over the parts he broke, without crashing. Then you run the risk of buying from someone who rarely changed the oil, abused the clutch or teats them like a submarines.

My friend Mike is very easy on his bikes both motor and chassis but his maintenance schedule is pretty much "when it fails, I guess I better replace it" so basically, I'd never buy a bike from him unless it was near new. I also quit doing team races with him because something always broke.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #54615
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Why not buy a gently used WRR?
Main reason is that they're damned near impossible to find - especially within a reasonable distance and for a realistic price. Plus everybody and their brother, sister and cousin has a WRR on here, I like to be the oddball!