ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #55141
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
enduros

Exactly. The only problem with the dry ones is that they are also the hot ones-think July and August. As far as being a hazard is concerned I'm not sure how the ACES series draws rows but I can't imagine they would let sportsmen start on an early row. Usually most of the really fast guys are on the first twenty rows or so. Remember its up to the faster riders to pass you. You don't want to hold them up, but you shouldnt have to lose your rythym to let them around either. Of course there will be a few loudmouthed jerks out there. The biggest issue I had with enduros is all of them are pretty far away and they start early Sunday morning. Hence you have to drive Saturday afternoon and stay overnight. Not like loading up Sunday morning and going to a local hare scramble. Some of the ECEA races in PA are actually a shorter drive than the southern OH events.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #55142
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
That was some hail storm we had in lancaster today at 5
I was caught in it on my way home, man those stones were big Peanut M&M sized, I couldn't see for crap and the guy in front of me couldn't see past his cell phone
My wife was filming the storm as I got home.
Here's the video link
http://youtu.be/_JtB2rJEDVc
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #55143
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
That was some hail storm we had in lancaster today at 5
I was caught in it on my way home, man those stones were big Peanut M&M sized, I couldn't see for crap and the guy in front of me couldn't see past his cell phone
My wife was filming the storm as I got home.
Here's the video link
http://youtu.be/_JtB2rJEDVc

I drove past your work today and saw your bike sitting outside...then when the storm hit I thought "Gee, I hope Pete got home already."

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #55144
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I drove past your work today and saw your bike sitting outside...then when the storm hit I thought "Gee, I hope Pete got home already."
If it wasn't for the ass hat in front of me, Next time I'm lane splitting
There was a nasty wreck at Arlington and Memorial, I did take a detour behind the old funiture store and across the grass of Fairfield Christian church
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #55145
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
How many days do I get?

Planning to get back in shape this spring so that the next race I go to, I can go knowing I'm not there for just the thrill of place or show like this past summer, I'm going there in competitive condition to take on the Buckeye Series and see if I can win it again. I also found out there is a mountain race in WVa for tandems (bicycles built for 2) that I want to enter.
You can race any of the WVMBA XC races on a tandem. They'll put you in the Clydesdale class. I think the Shogrens placed in the cyclocross nats on their tandumb (as Gunnar calls it). I kind of miss racing SS mountainbikes.
I went back to school full time as well as working, no chance of getting back in winning cycling shape for me for a couple seasons. 10 mile trail runs and 5-10k races are it for me until I graduate (yet again).
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #55146
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The Rodeo start would doom about 99% of us.
I think I could do it. There would be a few spots that I'd really have to think about. ( by then I would get passed by everyone)
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #55147
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
I am the President of Aces-Races this year, and I am going to try something new at the Norwich event. ( Ohiowoodsriders.com) May 5th.

I am going to run a dual sport at 8:45, with the last bike out by 9:00a.m. That'll put the DS'ers almost 100 minutes ahead of the fast(er) enduro riders. With the "resets" that the enduro has, the DS riders SHOULD be able to stay ahead of the Enduro riders all day.
It'll be the same course, and same arrows. Most dual sport rides in Ohio are just enduros without the checkpoints anyhow....

As far as comparing our events to a hare scramble.. really? We typically have 100 mile events with 60+ miles of really good trail. That is about 8-10X the amount of trail that you'll get at a harescramble.
We have it made around here. Most races / DS rides are within a 4 hour drive. Guys in Ill, and Indiana drive 7-8 hours to hit events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
Exactly. The only problem with the dry ones is that they are also the hot ones-think July and August. As far as being a hazard is concerned I'm not sure how the ACES series draws rows but I can't imagine they would let sportsmen start on an early row. Usually most of the really fast guys are on the first twenty rows or so. Remember its up to the faster riders to pass you. You don't want to hold them up, but you shouldnt have to lose your rythym to let them around either. Of course there will be a few loudmouthed jerks out there. The biggest issue I had with enduros is all of them are pretty far away and they start early Sunday morning. Hence you have to drive Saturday afternoon and stay overnight. Not like loading up Sunday morning and going to a local hare scramble. Some of the ECEA races in PA are actually a shorter drive than the southern OH events.

motodirtlover screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 05:05 PM
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #55148
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
I am the President of Aces-Races this year, and I am going to try something new at the Norwich event. ( Ohiowoodsriders.com) May 5th.

I am going to run a dual sport at 8:45, with the last bike out by 9:00a.m. That'll put the DS'ers almost 100 minutes ahead of the fast(er) enduro riders. With the "resets" that the enduro has, the DS riders SHOULD be able to stay ahead of the Enduro riders all day.
It'll be the same course, and same arrows. Most dual sport rides in Ohio are just enduros without the checkpoints anyhow....

Like it! Gotta mark this event.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #55149
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I like to set goals to measure progress and push myself out of my comfort zone. I've been looking at http://aces-races.com and I'm considering entering an Enduro next year in the Sportsman class. I was wondering if any of them are noticeably easier then the rest (or which ones are a bitch). I'm not looking to be competitive, I just want to finish without being a hazard to myself or other riders.

Thanks!
I would start with the dryer ones first. As for the fast guys get out of their way when they run you down they will give you a little yell to let you know they are there and are faster then you. If you can't get over at that moment throw,your arm up so they know you are trying to get out of their way. They will usually thank you as they fly by. If you refuse to give in and try to race them you are free game. I have never had any bad experiences in a race. Just remember those guys mean business their sponsorships depend on how they place. I don't know if you have tried any of the dual sports events but they run most of the same trail at a more relaxed pace.
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #55150
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
You can race any of the WVMBA XC races on a tandem. They'll put you in the Clydesdale class. I think the Shogrens placed in the cyclocross nats on their tandumb (as Gunnar calls it). I kind of miss racing SS mountainbikes.

Good to hear there's another SS rider around here. I tried to get my friend Lorena to do the Ice Man Cometh on tandem. Her comment was something along the lines of 'Are you f-ing nuts? I'm not getting on the back of that thing with a nut like you!!"

We have a road and a mtb tandem, both are fun.

Steel is Real, The beast...

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #55151
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoto54 View Post
Have you considered the AWRCS? Those are more difficult and way more technical than the Buckeye Series. Typical lap is 10+ miles. CRA is changing the Buckeye Series this year to longer races - I think I heard Yog say 3 hours for the bikes and 2 for the quads. Junior wants you to sign up in the 250 class so he can race against you. For some reason he thinks he can win. I remind him that he might have the edge in the speed and maybe even the endurance categories but the experiance you have will give you the win 9 out of 10 times.

AWRCS - depends. If I have to pay more to ride longer quad trails, maybe not. Last I saw, the GNCC people are racing side x sides now which means there probably isn't a shred of single track any more.

Buckeye Series - Conveniently close. I went to Peggy to get this series started about 10 years ago when I got fed up with guys like the Harry's who were winning the yearly points because they never missed a race and were always the last rolling finisher in their classes. Those of us who had a life didn't want to do 40 scrambles a year so I suggested one race at each track for the series. Evidently it's working, it's still being run.

Junior - I love a good challenge! It won't take long before he's dusting me

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #55152
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Good to hear there's another SS rider around here.
There's a single speed sitting next to my christmas tree.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #55153
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
There's a single speed sitting next to my christmas tree.
I've got one too...but it's really a Haro 1x10 that's got a broken derailleur so I took some links out and now it's a SS.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #55154
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I've got one too...but it's really a Haro 1x10 that's got a broken derailleur so I took some links out and now it's a SS.

Googled a photo of the Haro, looks interesting, haven't heard of the make before. I have no clue about this stuff, it's more confusing than trying to figure out which dirt bike to buy. Can't seem to get my head wrapped around all the options out there, and what is the best fit for my needs.

dox screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 10:04 PM
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #55155
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssreed84 View Post
I don't know if you have tried any of the dual sports events but they run most of the same trail at a more relaxed pace.
I didn't know there were other options. Is there a group that organizes these rides or a website that lists them?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote