ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #55456
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
To those attending the New Year's Eve lunch tomorrow .... I'll have the following with me .... first inmate waving $75 (obo) in my face gets 'em. They are take-offs from my CRF250L recently purchased. They had about 300 miles on 'em when removed.

Fr: IRC Trails GP-21F 3.00-21
Rr: IRC Trails GP-22R 120/80 - 21

How are you carrying those on the 250? I am considering riding up, but it could be about 20 when I would need to leave. We'll see.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #55457
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Soooo, the scooter experiment recently came to a close with a full refund via the Ohio Lemon Law. Dealer had the scoot for a month before they even tore it apart for inspection. It's a shame they didn't hustle and get me back on the road, although I would have forever had mixed feelings on reliability. I was really digging it and had put 986 miles on it in 28 days. It broke down September 14th on the way home from a tag. I had decided on a scooter partly because I live in town. It was working out perfect for little errands and occasional hour long Fredericksburg, Overton or Shreve swamp loop rides.

I've been looking exhaustively at CL, E Bay and Dealers for a DS instead of another scooter. Not a woods rider at my age because of physical/medical (and probable mental) issues. All Seasons has a new CRF250L that is tempting me. Used XT250, XT225 and KLX250 are interesting me. The more I look at DRZ400S, thinking it may be my ticket. Same approximate weight as the new CRF with more power. Found a used 01 for $2300 in Canal Fulton on CL. A used bike in the $1.5-2.5k range would be more practical for me. WR 's seem to be priced quite a bit more although I noticed Alan just found a good deal for one. Definitely not looking at KLR650 or DR650. Recommendations from the local inmates here ?

Sounds like the X I bought for Kyle would have been perfect for you. You can test ride it and my WR this spring if you want to compare the two. For being the same bike they sure dont handle the same.

Looks like I am out for lunch tmw. My wife has to work (no babysitter) and I have therapy at 1:30.
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #55458
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
a 21 inch rear? surely thats a typo...?
oops ... fixing original now

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #55459
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Any of the Jap 250s (or the DRZ) would be decent.

I think the real choice comes down to riding style and cost. If you are going to be on nothing rougher than gravel, weight isn't a big factor. Any differences in suspension will likely be a non issue too. I think you should choose based on comfort, engine power, and cost.

I have been a bit of an enduro bike whore and have owned a lot of them, some multiple times. Having owned 1 DRZ, 2 KLX250s, 2 WRRs, and 1 KLR250 (never had a XT250 nor a CRF250 - though I had a plated CRF230 but I don't think that counts), and currently owning a WRR, my list from top to bottom would be:

WRR
DRZ
Honda CRF250L
KLX250S
XT250
XT225

The WRR is truthfully the best of the bunch and would be my pick, as it does everything well. Rallycarjon and I did a 2 day street trip to PA and back a few months ago and the WRR was perfect on every surface, was comfortable, and carried everything I needed. It also has the best suspension, brakes, and build quality of the "cheaper" enduros. It's FI, which I used to think was an issue but really it isn't. The aftermarket has caught up with it so there's tons of stuff available. Known issues are few and far between, and even then mainly on 2008 models. It's engine power blows away other 250s and really rivals the DRZ400. I tried the others and came back to a WRR to stay.

DRZ is good, old tech, but solid and reliable. The only real downsides I can come up with on the DRZ are the 5 speed tranny and the oil in frame, which is annoying to change. For higher speed riding the 5 speed is buzzy and feels geared too low. The seat is pretty awful, too, come to think of it. On the upside there's tons of aftermarket parts for it. Issues are the cam chain tensioner and paper thin engine cases. Don't drop it on a pointy rock.

Honda, I have not ridden, but it looks and feels solid and has been getting good reviews. The price point is fucking incredible.

KLX250 is a bit more shoddy than the others in the QC department but still decent. It's fun and does great on backroads and off road jaunts but is wheezy and underpowered for 55+. It sounds and feels like a toy. You rev the throttle and it's like there's no response. Suspension is good, brakes are good. If I had one of these I really think I'd have to go with a 331 kit to make it on par with the WRR stock.

XT250 and 225 I have never owned, though Meredith was looking at a 225 for a while so I did some research and took some test rides. They are definetely old tech but are typical Yamaha quality, and solid. I think they give up a bit of the off road "prowess" (if you can call it that) that the WRR, DRZ, even KLX offer. They are more gravel roads bikes or econ / gas savers.

If you can find a WRR in your price range that would be my first recommendation. I think you'd be very pleased with it. I do think any of the above would be fun and definetely a better choice than a scooter for backroad and trail exploring.
Thanks Meef, I value your thorough feedback. The new Honda does seem like a great deal. I've been following the CRF250L owners thread and see they're coming up with a lot of new aftermarket stuff. I keep leaning towards a DRZ maybe because I seem to see more of them reasonably priced (cheap?). The 01 I seen on CL appears to have a big tank, newer tires and less than 6k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
You'll get more tags on a scooter than a drz!!

BTW, you coming to lunch tomorrow?
I got a few tags on the scooter before it blew up. Eventually I'll probvably come across a used chinese or preferably Helix /Reflex that I won't be able to pass up. I've got plans tomorrow so no ADV lunch for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Sounds like the X I bought for Kyle would have been perfect for you. You can test ride it and my WR this spring if you want to compare the two. For being the same bike they sure dont handle the same.

Looks like I am out for lunch tmw. My wife has to work (no babysitter) and I have therapy at 1:30.
Thanks Alan, I may take you up on it if I don't find a winter priced bargain basement deal I can't pass up. I have looked at SM versions of the DRZ and WRR and would consider one of those as well.

Somehow I lost bikeneil's quote, we had exchanged messages after I contacted you asking how you liked your XT. I dig the packer and would definitely consider copying that on whatever I buy... seriously. Somehow I have it in my mind that liquid cooled = better longevity than an air cooled bike.

It may just come down to what I think is the best value price wise and what pops up. WRR seems to be priced a little high and rightfully so for bike/$ value. DRZ and XT are are strong possibilities. There is something nostalgic about the XT's that sort of remind me of the old Honda SL and it seems to be a bit tamer than a WRR or DRZ and that is acceptable to me.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #55460
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Pissed

Most likely out for lunch....have a vehicle issue I need to deal with today
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #55461
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Somehow I have it in my mind that liquid cooled = better longevity than an air cooled bike.
A cooling system for what you're looking is just one more thing to maintain. I wouldn't worry.

As for lunch, I'll be de-salting my bikes instead.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #55462
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 533
Who's riding to Buckeye lake today?

I'm trying to decide, it's really windy out here in the flat lands and it blows across 56 in a lot of spots. But I did bring my gear in the house last night so at least it would be warm when I put it on.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #55463
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post

I'm trying to decide, it's really windy out here in the flat lands and it blows across 56 in a lot of spots. But I did bring my gear in the house last night so at least it would be warm when I put it on.
Side roads are all ice covered here, no riding unless you stay on the high trafficked major routes.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #55464
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
I'm still planning to ride.

anyone else?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #55465
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Looks like snow may be moving in from the SW.

I can't make lunch. You all be safe and have a good New Year's.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #55466
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
How late do you figure you will be at Pizza Cottage? We are working short shifts today which puts me off work at 1pm ish. By the time I drive over there it would be about 2p. Would like to attend but don't want to roll in just as you are all ready to vacate.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #55467
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
How late do you figure you will be at Pizza Cottage? We are working short shifts today which puts me off work at 1pm ish. By the time I drive over there it would be about 2p. Would like to attend but don't want to roll in just as you are all ready to vacate.

I'm gonna drive the truck, so I won't need to be in any rush to leave.

Hope to see a bunch of FF's there
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #55468
sion
sigh-own

gearing up now, heading out in 10 mins

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #55469
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
It was nice meeting everyone

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #55470
sion
sigh-own

ditto what pete said.

I got home without any difficulty, 'cept for trying to back the bike into the garage from an icy driveway....but I got 'er done without throwing the bike to the ground.

pic of (almost) everyone: