ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #55471
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,639
Typical ADVOH meetup, 4 people say they're going, 40 show up!
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #55472
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Typical ADVOH meetup, 4 people say they're going, 40 show up!

usually its the other way around

ps. we missed you two

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #55473
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Talking

Was good meeting everyone today

Thanks again to Meef for the ride....
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #55474
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Table at front left, L side front towards back: Kevin (oceanbum), Mark (bikeridermark), Neil (bikeneil) (standing). Next table by wall, L side front towards back: Rich (rich_B), Jim (motoskier..?). Opposite side of table under picture of Captain PipeBeard front towards back: Meredith (MeefZhette), Mark (MeefZah). Table at front right, L side front towards back: Scott (Greg's Bro), Pete (Moparmanpete). Opposite side of table front to back: Carl (r-3350), Byron ('flagger).

Photographer was sion, and invisible monster showed up as we were leaving.

Nice to see everyone. Now off to wrangle d-bags for the next 15 hours.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #55475
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Table at front left, L side front towards back: Kevin (oceanbum), Mark (bikeridermark), Neil (bikeneil) (standing). Next table by wall, L side front towards back: Rich (rich_B), Jim (motoskier..?). Opposite side of table under picture of Captain PipeBeard front towards back: Meredith (MeefZhette), Mark (MeefZah). Table at front right, L side front towards back: Scott (Greg's Bro), Pete (Moparmanpete). Opposite side of table front to back: Carl (r-3350), Byron ('flagger).

Photographer was sion, and invisible monster showed up as we were leaving.

impressive memory...must be very helpful in your line of work

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #55476
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
This was I-70 eastbound out west of Hilliard on my way home
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #55477
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Soooo, the scooter experiment recently came to a close with a full refund via the Ohio Lemon Law. Dealer had the scoot for a month before they even tore it apart for inspection. It's a shame they didn't hustle and get me back on the road, although I would have forever had mixed feelings on reliability. I was really digging it and had put 986 miles on it in 28 days. It broke down September 14th on the way home from a tag. I had decided on a scooter partly because I live in town. It was working out perfect for little errands and occasional hour long Fredericksburg, Overton or Shreve swamp loop rides.

I've been looking exhaustively at CL, E Bay and Dealers for a DS instead of another scooter. Not a woods rider at my age because of physical/medical (and probable mental) issues. All Seasons has a new CRF250L that is tempting me. Used XT250, XT225 and KLX250 are interesting me. The more I look at DRZ400S, thinking it may be my ticket. Same approximate weight as the new CRF with more power. Found a used 01 for $2300 in Canal Fulton on CL. A used bike in the $1.5-2.5k range would be more practical for me. WR 's seem to be priced quite a bit more although I noticed Alan just found a good deal for one. Definitely not looking at KLR650 or DR650. Recommendations from the local inmates here ?
Dual sports are great all around or fuel economy rides. The 400 should be great for you,or find a used dr350..its a 6 cog. As far as the wr line goes,im fairly certain none are available with a cush drive if thats important to you. I tried one before my dr650, it was lacking for me,but I'm a pretty big guy.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #55478
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,927
Sorry I missed you guys, I was busy working. Looked like two Cameros were the cars in that crash Scott. Police were talking with one of them.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #55479
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
About 3 years ago or so someone (swingset maybe?) did a great year end post/questionaire about the past year's riding, crashes, milage, new bikes, goals, etc. I remember it being pretty cool that so many chimed in and it allowed me as a new lurker at the time to get an idea of how people here ride.

Given my continued lurker status and general ineptitude about posting, I'm hoping someone else here will go back and find those posts, copy the format, post it again, and have a great response to the questionaire. edit: it was post 23917

Thanks in advance! -Mike

blackdiamondmike screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 03:58 PM
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #55480
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 832
Found it! (I'm bored). Thank you Swingset! And great idea Mike!

Ok, since it's winter, and we haven't really talked bikes lately (I know, I'm a prime-offender), I'm going to start a survey. Let's call it "Know your members", which is also a game I played when I was younger but I digress. Maybe it'll be fun, but at the very least you can waste 10 minutes with it.

9 Questions (because I couldn't think of 10):

1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?

3. Do you have a new bike or bikes in your vision?

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to?

9. What oil is the best?

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 04:32 PM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #55481
sion
sigh-own

get to know your fellow inmates

ok mike, I'll take a shot at it. craig originally only had 9 questions, but I added one

1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?

my 2012 was both good and bad, and a fair amount of both at that.
the bad: continued trouble with the XR; hitting a deer at 55 and crashing
the good: got a new (to me) bike out of the crash; did a lot of riding: several thousand miles on the Magna prior to the deer strike, over 10K on the Sabre, lots of hours on the XR (in the first half of the year, anyway).

as for trips, I only had my yearly jaunt to Tellico Plains, but it was fun as always

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?

trips for 2013 include Tellico in April and most likely Maine (another SabMag event) over the Labor Day Weekend. these trips are in planning stages

in the dreaming stages you can put pretty much everything else: the rest of the USA, Alaska included, Baja, Canada, South America, Africa, Europe, Australia and most of Asia ('cept for India, that looks like a massive clusterfuck of a country from the ride reports I've seen).

I hope to get the XR running well enough to sell it, then I want to get a either a WR250R or maybe even a brand new bike...still mulling that over

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?

Now that I've got some heated glove action, I'm gonna ride as much as the snow and ice will let me. when snowed in, I'll watch videos and read ADV for my moto fix.

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?

My street riding is coming along. I'm better than I was last year, so I just hope to continue to improve. I've probably regressed a bit dirt/trail wise, due to lack of riding over the last 6 months, but I'm hoping that will change once I get rid of the XR for something more reliable

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?

I think everyone knows about my deer strike (if not, click the link in my signature). Physically, I had no real damage, but it did affect my head a bit. I'm more focused and attentive now than I was before, and more intent on looking for them damned forest rats.

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?

what a ghastly thought...not sure how I would deal with that. get a Can-Am Spider I guess

everywhere (see question 2)

9. What oil is the best?

ANY oil is better than no oil.

10. What tires are the best?

radials

Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #55482
sion
sigh-own

most of yinz have seen this, I'm sure, but for those few who havent, enjoy:

Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #55483
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
ok mike, I'll take a shot at it. craig originally only had 9 questions, but I added one

2012 kinda sucked for me riding-wise. Started the year with a herniated disc and ended the year with elbow surgery. I did manage to ride a bit in between.

I'd like to do a riding/camping trip to eastern Kentucky to visit the land of my kinfolk. I'll keep dreaming about any rides bigger than that.

Not really. I love my WRR, my KLR- not so much. Maybe I'll trade it for something more streetish and less oil-thirsty.

I'll do as little maintenance as I can get away with. Probably won't ride much - winter is for skiing anyway.

I'm satisfied with my low-level dirt performance since I feel as I can ride anywhere albeit slowly. On the street my goal is to be more confident and avoid stupid risks.

I had a very close call in Southern Ohio while trying to read my GPS. Also a few minor offroad biffs.

I have found that doing donuts in the snow on a quad is quite fun so maybe I'd go find some single-track to destroy.

I'd like to do some winter riding is south Florida. Boring terrain but warm temps.

9. What oil is the best?

I still get sweaty palms worrying about it when buying oil.

10. What tires are the best?

Definately not the spare tire around my gut.

Thanks Sion and gailcallsmekarl for starting this! -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #55484
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I'm going to start a survey. Let's call it "Know your members"...

1. 2012 on motorcycles? Rode less often but rode further

2. 2013? Race more, practice more, travel more

3. New bike? Only if I get a new job

4. Winter? Save money, ride less, prep bikes, train more

5. How do you view your riding right now? Boring

6. Wrecks or get-offs? If you don't wreck, you're not going fast enough

7. Couldn't ride, what would you do with yourself? Become a mechanic and write

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to? Dakar Rally

9. What oil is the best? Extra Virgin Olive Oil, doesn't taste bad, biodegradable, and washes off in the shower with soap and water.

10 Tires? As fast as I go through them, what ever is on sale or free

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #55485
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,927
I'll play

1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to? I think I sort of fizzled out because I rode so much last Winter. Not complaining, I had a blast. Just kind of got burned out I think.

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages? Not yet.

3. Do you have a new bike or bikes in your vision? Nope

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink? Working and working on home projects like electric to the barn and learning more about guns.

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different? I feel confident but unmotivated

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding? Nope, last winter got me over the Oh I went down blues

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself? No idea

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to? Colorado

9. What oil is the best?[/QUOTE] The stuff in my bike.