ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #55516
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
and they always will
Troof

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #55517
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
Please take a minute to read this, the trail you save could be your own.

Many of us have some favorite "abandoned roads" we love to ride. That is a pretty broad term though. You could be refering to a road that is still "owned" by the county, township, etc; or a former road that is now private property. How does it go from public to private?

Let's say you are a local township, we'll call you "Bubbastan". There is an old 10 mile long road you own that is never used by anyone but dirt bikes and jeeps, it hasn't seen any maintenance in years. Legally if someone bought a piece of property along it and wanted to build a house Bubbastan would have to repair the road to a condition passable by car. That could bankrupt Bubbastan!

So what do you do? Well under Ohio law Bubbastan can VACATE the road, and it becomes the property of the surrounding land owners. Bubbastan dodges a fiscal bullet, and the only people who really lose out are the riders.

Is there another way? A way that protects small local governments from huge road improvement bills and preserves the road for recreation? Yes, 2 ways actually!

Option 1, in addition to "vacating" a road a Bubbastan can also declare it "permanently unmaintained". If someone wants to build a house on it they have to foot the bill to bring it up to code instead of Bubbastan. Once it's up to code Bubbastan then has to continue maintenance.

Option 2, Ohio Department Of Natural Resources can step in and stop a road vacating and take it over as a public recreational trail. It is no longer a public road, but open to whatever traffic ODNR allows. Use of dedicated motorized funding can lock it up for motorized recreation.

Both options give Bubbastan a way to avoid a huge bill while preserving public access.

So if you have a favorite abandoned road you like to ride and hear the local Bubbastan trustees are planning to vacate it, let me know. Once it's vacated it is private property, it can be gated, the owner can prosecute for trespassing, and it is lost forever. If it is worth preserving there are contacts at ODNR we can use to help save it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #55518
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?

Karen and I did a trip over to Parke County Indiana to tour covered bridges, I rode up to visit my parents in ND, made a quick jaunt down to the Atlanta area for some work related training, quite a bit of local backroad exploring on the 690, so yeah, it was a decent year for riding in the O'Connor household.

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?

I'm in the early planning stages of a TET - TransLab trip for early Sept. Would also like to do at least one Hatfield/McCoy weekend.

3. Do you have a new bike or bikes in your vision?

Not really but this time of year I always start thinking how cool it would be to have a Ural Patrol to go play in the snow.

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?

The plan is to get suspension work done on the WR and Uly. I also need to work on my '72 Yamaha rebuild. Get back to me in a month or two for an update...

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?

I just need to get more dirt time and more gym time. Always want to learn/improve but it is so much easier to just be lazy.

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?

I always seem to wreck at least once while riding Perry so I'm not sure that even counts. Still dealing with a little ankle soreness after my KTM fell on it at Wayne.

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?

Two chicks at the same time...

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to?

Baja, Alaska, Australia just to name a few.

9. What oil is the best?

I get a decent deal on Amsoil stuff so I use that.

invisible monster screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:42 AM
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #55519
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post

So if you have a favorite abandoned road you like to ride and hear the local Bubbastan trustees are planning to vacate it, let me know. Once it's vacated it is private property, it can be gated, the owner can prosecute for trespassing, and it is lost forever. If it is worth preserving there are contacts at ODNR we can use to help save it.

unless you're on the local town council (or whatever they call themselves) how would you hear about a plan to vacate? do they have to put up signs prior to doing the deed?

can we do this proactively and not wait for them to decide to vacate?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #55520
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:

Many of us have some favorite "abandoned roads" we love to ride. That is a pretty broad term though. You could be refering to a road that is still "owned" by the county, township, etc; or a former road that is now private property. How does it go from public to private?

Let's say you are a local township, we'll call you "Bubbastan"...

Down here in Bubbastan, the townships keep the dis-repaired roads, since most of the property around them is either Coal Co. or Wayne. They rarely, if ever, vacate them. That's because they're allotted tax dollars/mile of road. Less road = less $. When roads do get vacated in this corner they generally get turned over to the Marietta Wayne NF unit. That = no motorized vehicles, ever. Locally everyone hates Wayne, especially trustees, so the roads stay on the maps. I just had a nice conversation about some of these roads with a twp trustee a month ago. They are working on eradicating the "No Outlet", "Dead End", etc signs, since that could force them to vacate. He even suggested a few fun places for the WR.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #55521
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
unless you're on the local town council (or whatever they call themselves) how would you hear about a plan to vacate? do they have to put up signs prior to doing the deed?

can we do this proactively and not wait for them to decide to vacate?
When they consider vacating a road they are required to hold multiple public hearings and advertise it in the local paper. One of many reasons it is important to keep yourself aware of what your local officials are doing.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #55522
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

There were actually some specific cases a few years back where townships with very little money were forced to bring a road up to passable condition by someone who wanted to build a house. Fear of those situations is what usually motivates local officials toward vacating.

The next time they consider "giving" something to WNF, point out they are required by Ohio law to offer it to ODNR first. If WNF got a road it's likely they controlled all the surrounding land and it was the normal process of vacating that passed it to them.

This is an issue we want to work with ODNR on. The last recreation director let some opportunities slip by. The new recreation director is more.... competent. So seriously, if you know of a road that is being considered to be vacated, let me know.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #55523
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:

Let's say you are a local township, we'll call you "Bubbastan". There is an old 10 mile long road you own that is never used by anyone but dirt bikes and jeeps, it hasn't seen any maintenance in years. Legally if someone bought a piece of property along it and wanted to build a house Bubbastan would have to repair the road to a condition passable by car. That could bankrupt Bubbastan!

So what do you do? Well under Ohio law Bubbastan can VACATE the road, and it becomes the property of the surrounding land owners. Bubbastan dodges a fiscal bullet, and the only people who really lose out are the riders.

Is there another way? A way that protects small local governments from huge road improvement bills and preserves the road for recreation? Yes, 2 ways actually!

Option 1, in addition to "vacating" a road a Bubbastan can also declare it "permanently unmaintained". If someone wants to build a house on it they have to foot the bill to bring it up to code instead of Bubbastan. Once it's up to code Bubbastan then has to continue maintenance.

Option 2, Ohio Department Of Natural Resources can step in and stop a road vacating and take it over as a public recreational trail. It is no longer a public road, but open to whatever traffic ODNR allows. Use of dedicated motorized funding can lock it up for motorized recreation.

Both options give Bubbastan a way to avoid a huge bill while preserving public access.

How does that work when the roads within a federal park? There are a couple of roads in the CVNP that are still listed as county roads, but are closed to motorized traffic? Theoretically, of course, I'd love to have a legal argument if I were caught on these roads. There is talk of adding 3 more Summit county roads, and I'm sure the gates will go up as soon as they are.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #55524
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

If the road is vacated, it becomes park land. If however it is still a county road then it should be legal to travel. We have had this same fight with WNF. Could you send me an email on this Scott? Muddyrabbit@gmail.com.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #55525
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
If the road is vacated, it becomes park land. If however it is still a county road then it should be legal to travel. We have had this same fight with WNF. Could you send me an email on this Scott? Muddyrabbit@gmail.com.
Sent. Who's Scott?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #55526
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Sent. Who's Scott?
I had our OMTA treasurer on my mind because he dealt with some of this. My bad.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #55527
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Sent. Who's Scott?

Scott...Steve...whats the difference?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #55528
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
3 letters.

I guess what I was asking about the roads are that if they have not been officially abandoned by the county, can I legally go around a gate. Not that I would do that of course, but just asking.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #55529
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Has anyone seen Bob?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #55530
mgorman
Crashing since 1964