ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #55531
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Please take a minute to read this, the trail you save could be your own....

Nimishillen Township went through this panic a few years ago and tried to vacate every unopened road. They were told by the powers that be that the township wasn't there to build roads, they were there to maintain roads. So if a developer or such had a road established, it was their responsibility to build.

Regardless, saving the roads via Muddy's recommendation should be taken serious

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #55532
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Sonofabitch now old guys are taking me seriously. Somewhere my life of debauchery and irresponsibility has gone horribly wrong.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #55533
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Down here in Bubbastan, the townships keep the dis-repaired roads, since most of the property around them is either Coal Co. or Wayne. They rarely, if ever, vacate them. That's because they're allotted tax dollars/mile of road. Less road = less $.

The amount the township gets per mile is not as much as you would think. I believe it's around $350 a mile or so per year. The bulk of their money comes from license plate fees, title fees and gasoline taxes. Not to mention grants and such.

Most of those roads are labeled as X which means they are right of way only and are not paid any road mileage. They are refered to as paper roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
unless you're on the local town council (or whatever they call themselves) how would you hear about a plan to vacate? do they have to put up signs prior to doing the deed?

can we do this proactively and not wait for them to decide to vacate?

There is supposed to be an ad placed in the local paper advertising the vacation and a date posted for a viewing and hearing. Then the commissioners and county engineer visit the site and listen to the pros and cons. One person has the capability to get the vacation denied bby making their plea and hoping the commissioners agree.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #55534
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Sonofabitch now old guys are taking me seriously. Somewhere my life of debauchery and irresponsibility has gone horribly wrong.

Of course I take you serious, well, most of the time

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #55535
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,298
I'm actually seriously considering running for township trustee the next time around (for reasons outside of motorcycling) and hope to make some connections about the "abandoned roads" here.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #55536
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I (for reasons outside of motorcycling)
what other (important) reasons could there be?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #55537
jrockrat
Random Hippie

Oddometer: 335
ROW twp roads?

On the ODOT township maps there are roads marked "Township Roads (ROW only)" are these legal roads? Some of them show up on Bing or Google maps so I would guess they may be, but I didn't know if anyone here knew for sure.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #55538
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,298
ROW=right of way. I think.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #55539
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
ROW=right of way. I think.
Correct.

Most of these roads were petitioned for by an individual and established in the 1800's. Some ended up abandoned due to various reasons. Maybe the farm house or mill that it served was also abandoned, burnt or closed up.

Most vacations in stark county are old platted streets and the residents on each side want to use it for personal reasons. You also can not vacate a road if it land locks or denies any parcel access to legal road frontage.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #55540
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
That's also related to an argument for why land owners should oppose vacating a road.

If you own 400 acres with an old abandoned road dividing your property from someone else it is still "road frontage" that would allow you to sell off a parcel along that road (or give it to your kids). Once that road is vacated you cannot sell off parcels that are land locked. It effectively devalues your property.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #55541
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to? No big trips - got back in the dirt at the end of the season

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?
Ride more - with my son, try to make it to the BMW RA Rally, more dualsports, enduros and maybe a harescramble or two.

3. Do you have a new bike or bikes in your vision?
Nope - keep what I've got going

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?
Split the BMW for a spline inspect & lube, fix the Husky and add protection for the radiators, carb work and a # plate for the XR70.

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?
Would love to do a dirtwise school and learn to jump - dirtwise probably won't happen though

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding? little wrecks - I'm fine, but it changed the Husky a bit

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself? learn to surf

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to?
black diamonds dual sport - hope it comes back
Durty Dabbers Dual sport - for the views and the water crossings
Mexico - some day

9. What oil is the best?[/QUOTE]
Mobil1 50/50 ATF & 10W40 Moto in the gearbox of the husky
Klotz 'cause it tastes good
Mobil1 15W-50 for the beemer when I run out of Castrol

10. What tires are the best?
Michelin Pilot Road2 & S12XC
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #55542
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?

I had a decent year although a little below average on miles (12,300). Only one 4 day BRP trip.

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?

I started a new job in December so I'll be limited to 2 and 3 day weekend rides to WV, Smoky Mountains, etc.

Not this year.

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?

Snow ski, work on the honey-do list, putz around in the shop and man cave.

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?

Real comfortable with my riding, maybe too much so. I still expect to be taken out by a deer someday, hopefully not.

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?

No

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?

No clue, maybe buy a ZO6.

The NW United States & BC.

9. What oil is the best?

I prefer olive oil over vegetable oil on my salads and pasta. Synthetic in the crankcases.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #55543
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,616
1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?
Wasn't amazing,wasn't bad either. Some trips are in the dreamed of stage still,so nothing was cancelled.

A couple of us are looking into camping on the bikes. A trial run this spring to test gear,then a few closer national parks to build on that experience, after,maybe West or further south.

Nada,unless a FE570 comes up at an amazing price. Think this is a tool buying year if anything.

Finish (hopefully) all the mods to the dr650 before riding weather and maybe start on the klx suspension.

Still the same goals that I had coming here. - Learn to be a better rider.

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?
Just one, the shoulder is a bit different. Very minor pain if I move it just right so I can't complain too much. Figure I'll have it looked at if I'm ever at the docs office for something. No biggie. It hasn't changed my riding, hopefully the same spill is prevented with the new tires.

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?
I'd probably find a way to overcome that. Or just fall back on shooting or building stuff in the garage.

So far nothing has struck me as a bucket list place to take the bike.

Anything not burning or leaking.

Depends on your bike and how/what you're riding.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #55544
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. And it's Spyder.
Is it even considered a motorcycle since a 3 year old could ride it?

Just kidding of course. I'm sure they are fun too. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #55545
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Some riding but not nearly as much as I wanted. Best was a day on a rented supermoto around the Deals Gap area.

No plans yet. Hope to take a couple days at some point.

Thinking of getting a small dual sport or even a trail bike so I can learn how to ride offroad. Will have to be something cheap and ready to ride

Will ride when ever the roads are clear. Otherwise not much

Going to try setting up some parking lot moto gymkhana course to work on handling. I still pretty rough in the curves. Also as mentioned would like to learn how to ride off road but not going to do that with a Vstrom

No
Dealing with a back issue unrelated to riding that has limited my time on the bike this past fall. Hope to be good to go by spring.

Ow. dont want to think of that. Could not ride for about 2 months this fall and was miserable. Ofcourse that may have been the pain

Have not ridden taken many trips so basically any place.

Something in the bike

Not a good enough rider to know the difference.
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote