ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #55546
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Is it even considered a motorcycle since a 3 year old could ride it?
Can-Am doesn't refer to it as a motorcycle. They call it a "roadster." Last I heard, only Delaware and California will let you ride one with a regular driver's license, everyplace else requires a motorcycle or trike license.

Quote:
Just kidding of course. I'm sure they are fun too. ;)
Fun, fast (120 speedo, 110 GPS), and easy to ride (power steering, ABS, etc). It's not a vehicle for those that care what others think of them. Case in point...

I was in the Deals Gap area in 2010, camping at a place on 28 in Stecoah (near Fontana Lake) called Kickstand Lodge. A bunch of us are kicked back drinking some beers and I notice this one lady in leathers has a bit of a limp. We get to talking and I ask her what happened. Turns out she was hit by a car on her Harley and lost her left leg from the knee down. As a result, she now had to ride on the back of her husband's / boyfriend's bike.

One of the unique features of the Spyder is that it has one foot-operated brake on the right side that's linked to all three wheels (no hand brake). In addition, there's an option for push-button shifting on the left handlebar. The net result is that you don't need a left leg. I mention this and offer to let her sit on mine (even though it's a manual) to see if she'd like it. She immediately declined saying her friends would give her shit if they saw her on something other than a Harley.

She'd rather be a passenger on a Harley than ride her own Spyder.

I'll never understand why motorcycle and gun owners are so snobbish when it comes to their toys.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #55547
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post

I'll never understand why motorcycle and gun owners are so snobbish when it comes to their toys.

I 1000000000% agree

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #55548
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I think the "snob" aspect comes from those who purchased their items to impress their friends not to fulfill a need or desire.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #55549
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think the "snob" aspect comes from those who purchased their items to impress their friends not to fulfill a need or desire.
Yep. Most gun owners I know would gladly hand you an ar with a full mag to shoot a mag of whatever they haven't shot yet. Most of the guys I know (myself included) that ride don't hate Harley or their bikes,just the stereotypical pirates that ride them. I even dislike the squids I see on on tire going triple digits during rush hour. They're kinda like the my pretty pony and hk fanboys. I'll shoot what I want, ride what i want,and hang out with folks that aren't narrow minded asshats.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #55550
Oceanbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjal View Post
yep. Most gun owners i know would gladly hand you an ar with a full mag to shoot a mag of whatever they haven't shot yet. Most of the guys i know (myself included) that ride don't hate harley or their bikes,just the stereotypical pirates that ride them. I even dislike the squids i see on on tire going triple digits during rush hour. They're kinda like the my pretty pony and hk fanboys. I'll shoot what i want, ride what i want,and hang out with folks that aren't narrow minded asshats.

+1
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #55551
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
1. How was your 2012 on motorcycles? Did you do a lot of riding? Take the trips you wanted to?

In March I was finally able to start riding after a year and a half accident induced lay off. I got about 7,000 miles in before 12/31 including a ride to KY and a quick ride to PA. That's 6,800 more than it 2010 so I am happy with that.

2. What do you have planned for 2013? Any special trips or events you're looking forward to? Are you in the planning stages or dreaming stages?

I have a few trips in mind for this year but nothing set in stone. Definitely headed to MI, WV, PA, VA, NC. Possibly part of the TAT and may check out the TWVT. Thinking of possibly competing at NASA Rally or two.

3. Do you have a new bike or bikes in your vision?

Sold my DRZ because the vibrations really bothered my shoulder and the plated CRF150 my girlfriend wasn't riding enough. Bought a F800GS and a KLX250S to replace them. I am sure some additional stray bike will follow me home eventually.

4. What are you going to do this winter during the bitter cold? Big repairs, maintenance, plan, say fuggit and ride, drink?

Still riding when I can but working on cars and around the house when the ice is out. Try and get back to the gym when possible.

5. How do you view your riding right now? Anything changed or your focus or goals still what they were? Do you want to learn or do anything different?

Need to work on the mental aspect after being out of the game for a while. I always want to improve on and off road and just want to practice as much as possible.

6. Did you have any wrecks or get-offs this year? If so, how are you doing afterwards? Back to your old self or still coming back? Has it changed your riding?

Nothing serious but hey if you ride in the woods you are going to fall! Meef has a good picture of me pinned under the KLX momentarily.

7. Going with that subject, if for some reason you weren't able to ride, what would you do with yourself?

Do the same thing I do on my bike but with my truck: travel, camp, explore.... That's what helped me keep my sanity during recovery.

8. Where are some places you haven't ridden you're dying to?

Glacier NP and northern MT. Alaska.

9. What oil is the best?

The kind in my crankcase not on the ground.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #55552
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Yep. Most gun owners I know would gladly hand you an ar with a full mag to shoot a mag of whatever they haven't shot yet. Most of the guys I know (myself included) that ride don't hate Harley or their bikes,just the stereotypical pirates that ride them. I even dislike the squids I see on on tire going triple digits during rush hour. They're kinda like the my pretty pony and hk fanboys. I'll shoot what I want, ride what i want,and hang out with folks that aren't narrow minded asshats.
I kinda hate the HD company for the way the handled getting out of Buell, and can't stand hearing owners preach from their soap box about how their bike is 100% American made. Last time someone was telling me that I held up his wheel and showed him the "Made in Australia" stamp with the tire off.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #55553
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
War PIG

Bought this tonight. The PO called it the War Pig. Its a 2000 WR400f. Looks like its had a rough life. The PO was a older guy that bought it in 2006 to ride in the woods with his son that had a WR250F. They stoped rideing a couple years ago and both bikes were sitting in the corner of the garage. It needs a little love but seems to run ok for a bike that hasnt ran in over a year. Going to check the valves and clean the carb. tmw. Picture off Craigslist it got dark before we got home. All yea it has a street title already.

alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #55554
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Bought this tonight. The PO called it the War Pig. Its a 2000 WR400f. Looks like its had a rough life. The PO was a older guy that bought it in 2006 to ride in the woods with his son that had a WR250F. They stoped rideing a couple years ago and both bikes were sitting in the corner of the garage. It needs a little love but seems to run ok for a bike that hasnt ran in over a year. Going to check the valves and clean the carb. tmw. Picture off Craigslist it got dark before we got home. All yea it has a street title already.

Alansz new 400?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #55555
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
...can't stand hearing owners preach from their soap box about how their bike is 100% American made.
Or car. Harley has plenty of foreign sourced components,as do many others. Even foreign cars have domestic components. So who's in the right? American owned companies shipping jobs overseas and sourcing parts elsewhere? Or foreign owned makes that use American labor and components? Half a dozen of one 6 of the other I say. Until something is owned,produced,and sold locally I cant see how the "buy American" idea will fully work.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #55556
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post

Noice, looks like it already has a bigger tank? Was the 250 for sale too?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #55557
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Merry New Year, gang .... need a recommendation.

I'm working to improve the suspension on my CRF250L. I've already installed a custom aftermarket shock from Cogent Dynamics, but the front needs some attention as well. There are quite a few options, but none of them easy. The approach I'd like to take is to swap my forks for a pair off of a CRF250X/R or CRF450X/R. But the fork diameters don't quite match up. Here's the data:

'13 CRF250L
Upper = 54
Lower = 57

CRF450
Upper = 53
Lower = 58

The upper of my triple is 1 MM too big and the lower is 1 MM too small.

Is machining a sleeve to take up the gap on the top AND machining a bigger hole on the bottom feasible? Smart?

Who would you recommend for such work?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #55558
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Noice, looks like it already has a bigger tank? Was the 250 for sale too?
He claims thats the stock tank,??? Yea I ask about the 250 it a 05 or 06 and he wanted $3000.00 for it. I payed $800.00 for the 400 so i was shocked he wanted so much for the 250. I will probley have 3k in this pig by the time I am done.

alanswr400
alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #55559
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Merry New Year, gang .... need a recommendation.

I'm working to improve the suspension on my CRF250L. I've already installed a custom aftermarket shock from Cogent Dynamics, but the front needs some attention as well. There are quite a few options, but none of them easy. The approach I'd like to take is to swap my forks for a pair off of a CRF250X/R or CRF450X/R. But the fork diameters don't quite match up. Here's the data:

'13 CRF250L
Upper = 54
Lower = 57

CRF450
Upper = 53
Lower = 58

The upper of my triple is 1 MM too big and the lower is 1 MM too small.

Is machining a sleeve to take up the gap on the top AND machining a bigger hole on the bottom feasible? Smart?

Who would you recommend for such work?
I'd swap the whole triple if possible. Before you do any removal,make sure your bearings fit,or a new set will. Also check if anyone has made a similar swap before.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #55560
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
I'd swap the whole triple if possible. Before you do any removal,make sure your bearings fit,or a new set will. Also check if anyone has made a similar swap before.
I've considered a full swap, but I'm fussy enough to want to keep the instrument/light assembly just as it is which is mounted to the upper triple.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote