ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #55576
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 250
A noob's recap of 2012

I grew up riding what $50 dirt bike or 3-wheeler my dad could find & get running for us. Most notably was an 80's era POS RM125. We were lucky enough to have relatives nearby with land that we could ride whenever we wanted. For whatever reason, I grew out of two wheels and owned a couple 4-wheelers in my more recent past.
In the past couple of years I had been wanting to get back on a motorcycle & get a street oriented bike. I was determined that that I didn't want a "Harley type" bike, and was highly interested in a Suzuki Bandit that a buddy owned. I almost bought that bike, and oddly enough I would later find out that it had been previously owned by some stumble-luck, lucking luck with the last name of Meftah. Allegedly, he hardly rode it & kept it washed, waxed, and put maybe 10miles on it....
My chief had me about a day away from buying a Harley Nightster in 2011. Thankfully, "shit, those things are overpriced!" went through my head enough times I missed out on buying it.
I started working with MeefZah and rode his (and MeefZhette's) Strom(s) and fell in love with that type of bike. Was directed to ADVrider by Meef and started lurking the FM for a Strom. Found one from another inmate in Michigan (Dyno) that had been ridden all over the US. Although I was looking for a 650, I picked up a 1000 for a fraction of the stupid HD, and between Dyno & Meef, they got the bike back home for me in March.
My 2002 DL1000

By May, took a 3 day 1,100 mile ride through 4 states in 3 days.
I've been a cop for 12yrs, 6 of which as a team leader of a regional SWAT team. Spending 3 days on the Strom on roads I wouldn't ever even think of looking for on a map prior to that trip, and the trip itself having no "plan," turned out to be some of more exhilarating moments in my life. Possibly rivaling some of the operations or entries I had been part of prior to that.
Our country is pretty screwed up right now, but it you can't beat the sights it offers, especially while on 2 wheels.
Thanks Mark & Tim!

Even took another 3 days & 900 miles in July wandering around southern Ohio and ended up in Kentucky on a trip with the one person who swore they'd never ride a motorcycle, my wife. We both had a blast and ever since, she's always ready for a ride on the bike. I have it on good information from some of her coworkers, that she's mentioned having a bike of her own someday.

Heck, even both my kids fight over who gets to ride it next!

2012 brought me a new to me bike & rides of various lengths/distances on various road types. I've ridden in scorching heat, snow & rain. Other motorcyclists I know locally wouldn't dream of taking their bikes places I have or getting it as muddy as I've gotten mine. I'm kinda astonished, cause that's not saying much - it's not like I ride to Patagonia on the weekends.
Acquired most of our gear in the ADV flea market, in either new or like new condition. Met a couple inmates going after Tags (OH Wahoo, PeteH, & MGorman) and went on a ride with a Drtybyrd and watched his Versys disappear more times than not. Another ride with MikeF5000000, BobRamsay, & Meef, I got to watch BMac pull wheelies on his DL1000 like he was riding a BMX bicycle. I think he was bored that he wasn't dodging bullets, camel's and the local indigenous people. Stay safe BMac!
I logged 7,300 miles since I got the bike in mid-March. Learned a lot & had loads of fun.
Looking forward to the experiences 2013 will bring.
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #55577
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Nice, got to love the perspective that another persons experiences can provide.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #55578
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I kinda hate the HD company for the way the handled getting out of Buell, and can't stand hearing owners preach from their soap box about how their bike is 100% American made. Last time someone was telling me that I held up his wheel and showed him the "Made in Australia" stamp with the tire off.
On the other hand, it may turn out to be the best thing to happen to Erik in terms of freedom to build a world class sport bike.
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/motorcycles/1190rs/
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #55579
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTacticool View Post

I logged 7,300 miles since I got the bike in mid-March. Learned a lot & had loads of fun.
Great post, that's the kind of stuff I like to read.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #55580
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
On the other hand, it may turn out to be the best thing to happen to Erik in terms of freedom to build a world class sport bike.

175 hp and 389 lbs

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #55581
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,412
Good post, Brandon.

Glad I could be a part of the adventure for ya.

I'm grateful for your friendship and I look forward to taking a longer trip with you, maybe this year.

But..... no pics of your Strom on it's side????

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #55582
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 992
Quote:

2012 brought me a new to me bike & rides of various lengths/distances on various road types. I've ridden in scorching heat, snow & rain. Other motorcyclists I know locally wouldn't dream of taking their bikes places I have or getting it as muddy as I've gotten mine. I'm kinda astonished, cause that's not saying much - it's not like I ride to Patagonia on the weekends.
Acquired most of our gear in the ADV flea market, in either new or like new condition. Met a couple inmates going after Tags (OH Wahoo, PeteH, & MGorman) and went on a ride with a Drtybyrd and watched his Versys disappear more times than not. Another ride with MikeF5000000, BobRamsay, & Meef, I got to watch BMac pull wheelies on his DL1000 like he was riding a BMX bicycle. I think he was bored that he wasn't dodging bullets, camel's and the local indigenous people. Stay safe BMac!
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. The world can be a messed up place, but your world looks pretty darn good !
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #55583
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,045
Quote:
Cool update

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #55584
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
175 hp and 389 lbs
It's only 40k MSRP. I could buy 3 busas for that price and duct tape the 2nd and 3rd motors on the first with cash to spare.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #55585
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,244
Quote:
I like the rear wheel shots - you have a lot of cameras
Thanks, this was my first attempt at making a video with my 4 Gopro's that I now have. ;) The slow motion rear wheel shots came out really good. I submitted the video to gopro for their video of the week contest and they replied back saying they accepted it and liked it so that was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure it won't make it though compared to the competition...

I have 2 Hero1's, a Hero2, and a Hero3 which I used to shoot at 120FPS on the rear wheel.

Having the camera hang down like that in the snow was ok but I don't think I'd want to try it on a muddy technical trail. I'd probably fall over and shove the camera right into the rear wheel and chain.

Here's some pics of my setup...

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #55586
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
I agree, Erik is finally free, and better off. It's the little known facts of the deal that are just wrong.

At the time HD made the decision to close Buell:
-HD was $55 million dollars in the hole
-There was a termination clause in the engine contract with Bombardier which cost HD over $10 milion.
-Bombardier was willing to cancel the termination clause for the rights to Erik's next sport bike which was still in development and the rights to the "Griffin", Erik's dirt bike prototype which was already in testing with pro riders
-Bombardier would have kept all the Buell employees, given Erik more freedom than he ever had with HD, and was prepared to invest more.

Can you imagine what Erik could have done with the backing of a company that already does creative shit like the Can-Am roadster? Remember that Can-Am was once a storied dirt bike company, the Griffin would likely have been the starting point to relaunch the breed.

For me though the biggest thing was the way HD shafted those employees when there was this offer and others that would have kept those jobs going. In the middle of a recession the wouldn't let someone essentially pay them $10 million to keep those people working, and instead paid the $10 million fee to Bombardier.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #55587
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
I agree, Erik is finally free, and better off. It's the little known facts of the deal that are just wrong.

-There was a termination clause in the engine contract with Bombardier which cost HD over $10 milion.
-Bombardier was willing to cancel the termination clause for the rights to Erik's next sport bike which was still in development and the rights to the "Griffin", Erik's dirt bike prototype which was already in testing with pro riders
-Bombardier would have kept all the Buell employees, given Erik more freedom than he ever had with HD, and was prepared to invest more.

Can you imagine what Erik could have done with the backing of a company that already does creative shit like the Can-Am roadster? Remember that Can-Am was once a storied dirt bike company, the Griffin would likely have been the starting point to relaunch the breed.

For me though the biggest thing was the way HD shafted those employees when there was this offer and others that would have kept those jobs going. In the middle of a recession the wouldn't let someone essentially pay them $10 million to keep those people working, and instead paid the $10 million fee to Bombardier.
+1

I cornered a Harley MoCo rep at the bike show after this deal went down and gave him an earful. Pointless really but it made me feel better for a bit. Say what you want about the bikes but Harley sucks and the corporate management are a bunch of asshats!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #55588
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Sweet, he kept the Pegasus / winged horse logo. That gives me more gift options for the wife (http://www.ebrracewear.com). She loves her Buell Blast.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #55589
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Sweet, he kept the Pegasus / winged horse logo. That gives me more gift options for the wife (http://www.ebrracewear.com). She loves her Buell Blast.
Did you ever see the video of Erik when he announced the Blast was dead and HD crushed the remaining ones? He was near tears. The one where he announced the closing was worse, he was in tears.

I'm not really into sport bikes, but he is #2 on my list of motorcycle people I would like to meet someday. A brilliant mind, combined with his passion, and he actually cared about all the people working for him. He has some very restrictive clauses in his contract with HD that he has to honor until they run out. When they expire I hope he does make a deal with Bombardier. Can you imagine the adventure tourers that would come from the house of Buell/Bombardier?

muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #55590
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:

I didn't realize BRP made an offer to get Buell. I guess HD = Heavy Duchebaggery

Meef - I'll let you spell check your word