ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #55621
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Garage pron.......decided to blow some snow plowing money, they have factory refurbs for $450, so I figured what the hell. Plasma that will cut up to 3/4", plus a TIG, plus a 180A DC stick.....I'm salivating....

http://www.longevity-inc.com/product...ax-LC-518D.php
hey matt, think that rig has enough oomph to weld some patches onto the frame rails on my truck? I'm thinking of 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick angle which I can get from work

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #55622
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,108
I already have a Hobart Handler 140 MIG which is rated for 3/16, but has no problem with 1/4. I also have a Lincoln AC stick, either of those would be better suited than this for that kind of work.

But yeah, the 180A stick portion of this would be more than enough to blow through a frame rail.....I'm kinda rusty with TIG, haven't done it in at least 6 years

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #55623
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
I already have a Hobart Handler 140 MIG which is rated for 3/16, but has no problem with 1/4. I also have a Lincoln AC stick, either of those would be better suited than this for that kind of work.

But yeah, the 180A stick portion of this would be more than enough to blow through a frame rail.....I'm kinda rusty with TIG, haven't done it in at least 6 years
I take it you're mostly after the plasma and dc tig then?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #55624
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Look up a thermalarc fabricator 181i ,211i ,or 252i once. 180A,210A,or 250A mig/tig/stick. It's only missing ac tig to be a truly all in one machine as far as a welder goes.
No plasma cutter in those though. That's what I really was after, the TIG and stick were just nice bonuses. I love my little Handler 140 MIG, as it will weld 90% of what I need to do, has stone simple settings, and makes me look like I can weld. If it is big,nasty, crusty crap, the farmer special Lincoln will burn through damn near anything.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #55625
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
If it is big,nasty, crusty crap, the farmer special Lincoln will burn through damn near anything.

thats what I'm a needin

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #55626
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
No plasma cutter in those though. That's what I really was after, the TIG and stick were just nice bonuses. I love my little Handler 140 MIG, as it will weld 90% of what I need to do, has stone simple settings, and makes me look like I can weld. If it is big,nasty, crusty crap, the farmer special Lincoln will burn through damn near anything.
Cool, I wanna be on the "Hey can I borrow the Plasma cutter" list.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #55627
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,608
wish I could

I envy people that know how to weld.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #55628
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post

I'm no pro fabricator. I started burning sticks when I was around 9 and picked up a MIG around 16, but have no real training. I'd like to take some classes sometime to learn how to make really pretty welds.....every now and then I get a good run and get that stack of dimes look....

Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #55629
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
I've always wanted to go old school and set up a blacksmith forge to make stuff to compliment my woodworking (hinges, S-hooks, etc). At one point, I had a brake drum from a school bus to use as a pan forge, but I finally realized that neither my neighbors or the City of Columbus would appreciate the noise / smoke / smell in a residential neighborhood.

Someday I hope to live out in the country where I can do whatever I want.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #55630
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I've always wanted to go old school and set up a blacksmith forge to make stuff to compliment my woodworking (hinges, S-hooks, etc). At one point, I had a brake drum from a school bus to use as a pan forge, but I finally realized that neither my neighbors or the City of Columbus would appreciate the noise / smoke / smell in a residential neighborhood.

Someday I hope to live out in the country where I can do whatever I want.
I've smithed a little. My great grandfather was a blacksmith and my dad still has a lot of his tools. That's another one of those skills on my bucket list to master.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #55631
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
Invest in a mig. The learning curve on one is ridiculously low,the welds come out as finished product with virtually no residue either on steel,and no slag on aluminum. Aluminum requires a bit more skill and speed,plus you weave it. Steel is just one slow line. The mig torch is just pull the trigger and it takes care of the rest. Machine settings aren't too hard either. Aside from that,it's all in how you prep your material.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #55632
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Garage pron.......decided to blow some snow plowing money, they have factory refurbs for $450, so I figured what the hell. Plasma that will cut up to 3/4", plus a TIG, plus a 180A DC stick.....I'm salivating....
Looks like a nice package. 3/4 is some think metal. I have 2 miller wire welders one with gas for nice welds and one with no gas for the rusty outside welds. The gas is so much nicer and I use it 90% of the time. Also a stick welder for the one time a year I want to weld some heavy metal. I have wanted a plasma cutter real bad but seems like with torches, a old circular saw with a metal blade, chop saw, and 2 grinders one with a grinding wheel and one with a cut off wheel I can cut about anything. Maybe not as fast or as nice as a plasma cutter but still get it cut. Cutting circles or big holes is when I always want a plasma cutter.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #55633
sion
sigh-own

MoparmanPete and I are gonna do some riding today if anyone wants to join in. Meeting at his place of work (Mr. Tire on Memorial Drive in Lancaster) at 1 pm. Probably just gonna bash around the Hocking Hills for a couple hours, as I have to be home by 3:30.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #55634
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I don't have torches yet. A good cutting outfit will set you back more than the unit I bought. Granted, it won't do everything torches will, but it is what it is I guess.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #55635
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,295
I drive down the street and give the dude at the weld shop $10.

He does the rest.

Although now that I know Alan has several welders and appears to have plenty of time on his hands, I might just save myself the $10.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote