ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #55891
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

I also made the mistake of sitting one a Versys..I kinda want one...
They just beg to be wheelied.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #55892
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchester View Post
Maybe Byron just makes the little Honda look good. After riding BMW tanks off road for years, the little Hondas have to be like throwing around a mini-bike by comparison.
I got home from that ride and immediately took the F800GS out for a spin. My immediately reaction was, "Holy crap ... I've ridden this pig off-road!"

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #55893
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:

I also made the mistake of sitting one a Versys..I kinda want one...
The Versys is a great bike for the money. Kind of wish I'd have hung onto mine for my boy.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #55894
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I got home from that ride and immediately took the F800GS out for a spin. My immediately reaction was, "Holy crap ... I've ridden this pig off-road!"

I jumped off the 250 onto the 950 at Briarciff MX and said the same thing though it was more like a camel than a pig

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #55895
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Anyone know of a good honest mechanic who can check over the adjustment of the carbs on my XL600 affordably?
If it is an old twin carb set up, it's not that bad. Make sure all jets are clean. One carb effects the whole throttle range and the 2nd 1/2 throttle to full throttle. If I remember correctly, the 2nd carb should remain closed until 1/2 throttle then open to full throttle as the main carb reaches full throttle. I think the 2nd carb has no pilot or idle jets, just a main jet.

It allows a small carb for throttle response at low RPM then a big carb for high RPM. My 2nd arb had dirt in it and when I'd hit half throttle, the bike would go lean and die.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #55896
palandor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidRavioli View Post
Good morning all! I'm making a commitment to ride more this year, each summer I come up with lame excuses that keep me off my bike more than I should have. I am in Dayton (SW Ohio). Like all of us here I love the long winding country roads. I want to map out some day trips and even a few 2-3 day trips with camping. I like the idea of having a unique destination to discover and photograph, like historical sites unique landscapes, etc. Is there a TOP 10 list you can help me with? (like ride to Hocking Hills and stay here ....... etc)

Thanks in advance!
Hello from Beavercreek.

Hocking Hills is great to ride to/in. I did weekend trip and stayed at Valley View Cabins. (not camping, but still nice with the wife.)
I haven't done any other motorcycle overnight/weekend trips, but we've got a couple of destinations on the radar, such as Blue Ridge Parkway (it has camping along it, so I hear), and Sleeping Bear Dunes (long trip on a bike for some).

-Brian
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #55897
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
If it is an old twin carb set up, it's not that bad. Make sure all jets are clean. One carb effects the whole throttle range and the 2nd 1/2 throttle to full throttle. If I remember correctly, the 2nd carb should remain closed until 1/2 throttle then open to full throttle as the main carb reaches full throttle. I think the 2nd carb has no pilot or idle jets, just a main jet.

It allows a small carb for throttle response at low RPM then a big carb for high RPM. My 2nd arb had dirt in it and when I'd hit half throttle, the bike would go lean and die.

I belive my main problem is the adjustment of the pilot mixture screw, it's an 87 with the california twin carbs so no air screw,

One setting she starts great cold with a real good idle and rev but then sometimes not all the time doesn't want to start hot.
Once adjusted to start hot it will have a a cough/backfire through the carbs every couple of seconds for about 10mins that can kill it and have a stuck high idle.

I'm pretty sure I just flooded it saturday but......
I'm just to the point where I just can't trust it to get me back home even if it was running good at the moment. maybe I'm just parinoid
I couldn't afford this one when I bought it so there's no way for me to get a different.
If the oddometer is correct as the title is it only has 6,800miles on the clock WTF?
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #55898
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
I belive my main problem is the adjustment of the pilot mixture screw, it's an 87 with the california twin carbs so no air screw,

One setting she starts great cold with a real good idle and rev but then sometimes not all the time doesn't want to start hot.
Once adjusted to start hot it will have a a cough/backfire through the carbs every couple of seconds for about 10mins that can kill it and have a stuck high idle.

I'm pretty sure I just flooded it saturday but......
I'm just to the point where I just can't trust it to get me back home even if it was running good at the moment. maybe I'm just parinoid
I couldn't afford this one when I bought it so there's no way for me to get a different.
If the oddometer is correct as the title is it only has 6,800miles on the clock WTF?
I don't know anything about that engine but is it possible the valves are out of adjustment? The starting issues hot vs cold are what make me wonder.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #55899
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
they still have the X Challenge?
yup, saw it this morning. The price on it is not too bad, but it is kinda beat up and I think it has been in their service department quite a bit. Everytime I am there, it is outside.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #55900
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
I don't know anything about that engine but is it possible the valves are out of adjustment? The starting issues hot vs cold are what make me wonder.
The valves were just readjusted 80miles after reassembly and 40 miles ago. Does make sense though, kicker felt soft when I went to go about and hour later, I should probly check it cold then run it up to temp and see how much it tightens. Right now I'm running stock clearences .002 and .004.

Tappy valves are happy valves but how tappy is happy? I can't believe I said that

Good call invisible monster!

mgorman
I wonder if it is running lean at highway speed and getting too hot.
I'm running a 120jet in the primary and a 118 in the secondary can I swap those around to get it to run cooler at highway speed. I do have a 122 if needed.
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #55901
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

In my ever continuing search for my garage floor, i have some stuff to get rid of. Figured I'd put it on here for YFF's before I deal with the real FF's on CL

First is a compressor. The pump is two diaphragm style compressors in an expanded metal frame, prob from a factory, and the tank is maybe 25-30 gallon and in like new shape. $50 will take it all

Next is a 3500w Coleman generator. Has a Briggs engine with carb problems. I think the float is cracked as it will just pour fuel out of the overflow. I hadn't used it in almost 5 years before the deracho, it fired right up and I used the fuel shut off to regulate the flow. Worked ok and kept my beer fridge cold for 5 days. It's ugly, it's beat up, but it works, some tinkering will prob make it nice. $50 will buy it from me.

Last is a co2 tank. I think it's a 40# tank, looks brand new, has no date stamps or stamps from a distributor so it can be exchanged or filled anywhere. Comes with a regulator, $40. new, I see them for $150ish.

I also have an Everlast heavy bag/stand set up. Has 2 bags with it, one bag is canvas with jute and got wet last week, prob can dry it, I don't know. $20 will buy the whole thing with both bags. When you are a badass MMA fighter, you can thank me.

I want/need this crap out of my way this week if possible. I can deliver any or all of it to Columbus, Newark, Marion, or the Galion/Mansfield area.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #55902
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
The valves were just readjusted 80miles after reassembly and 40 miles ago. Does make sense though, kicker felt soft when I went to go about and hour later, I should probly check it cold then run it up to temp and see how much it tightens. Right now I'm running stock clearences .002 and .004.

Tappy valves are happy valves but how tappy is happy? I can't believe I said that

Good call invisible monster!

mgorman
I wonder if it is running lean at highway speed and getting too hot.
I'm running a 120jet in the primary and a 118 in the secondary can I swap those around to get it to run cooler at highway speed. I do have a 122 if needed.
.002 and .004? That is tight, i don't care what the book says. Try running them at .006 and .008 and see how it starts.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #55903
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
How are your rides going today?

Thanks for the help on the tire guys. I thought we were going to have to go home and get a truck when I could not get it to hold air for more than a couple of minutes. That would have sucked.

It was a great ride today. Alan really knows his way around. He took us to a couple of really cool places that I have never been to before. It turns out that there is a real switch back here in Central Ohio.

I was pretty tired by the time that I got home. Some of those spots were a challenge on the 650 and some of the roads required a lot concentration to pick a good line in the ice, snow, shiny mud, and new gravel.

Glad you are OK, Mark!

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #55904
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
i will take the co2 tank. let me know and we will hook up soon.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #55905
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
.002 and .004? That is tight, i don't care what the book says. Try running them at .006 and .008 and see how it starts.
I know the Dr runs .003-.005" if that helps any.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote