ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #56071
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
That video would bring awesome to the party and fuck it in the bathroom.

I stand corrected...yer a sick man, you know that Mark?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #56072
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
And just where is your obligatory milk crate at?

EDIT: Nm, found it. Last pic,bottom shelf to the left. Carry on.
I even have a rear rack made of aluminum with 1/2" bends that a milk crate fits in. It's so fancy it has a cutout to access the stock toolkit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Keep an eye on the mounting points for the centerstand, since it uses the footpeg mounts. Those are known to loosen or strip out anyway, and the extra strain of the centerstand can accelerate this. I'd loctite the bolts now and check them every so often for tightness.
I used & locktit-ed 10.9 bolts, with the center stand, crash bars, and pegs those bolts end up pretty long. Will definitely watch them. The bike is a bear to get up on the stand, I'm probably screwing up the technique.
I also drilled through the upper subframe mount. I had to, one of the SW Motech bolts snapped when I was installing it. Luckily it was just an 8.8, so I drilled it out pretty easily. I'm using a 5/16 x 7-1/2" Grade 8 bolt, didn't go all the way to 3/8, that's a lot of material to remove. Should be alot stronger than stock and it removes the threads from the load bearing part of the bolt. I have 2 of them, so I'll throw one in the toolkit in case of dire emergency. I'll be honest I rode the bike pretty far Saturday with a 5/16 x 8" grade 2 in it, it seemed fine.

ruppster screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 04:51 AM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #56073
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Good call on those cases. I just ordered a set for my KLR. A little googlefu neted a $9 coupon too(hey, they are for a KLR after all). Code is afc909
Damn, didn't even think about looking for a coupon. I was so giddy after finding them for that price I had premature credit card evacuation. I'll continue to work on my cheap bastardness.

I also ordered a pair of the smaller ones. They would look decent on a smaller bike like a 250, but look too small for the 650. They're about the same size as my current top box.

ruppster screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 05:17 AM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #56074
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Damn, didn't even think about looking for a coupon. I was so giddy after finding them for that price I had premature credit card evacuation. I'll continue to work on my cheap bastardness.

I also ordered a pair of the smaller ones. They would look decent on a smaller bike like a 250, but look too small for the 650. They're about the same size as my current top box.
Nice writeup. My KLR had Pelican 1550 cases for a few years, purchased used from Meef. The cases from MCM look like a good value.

I do own a pair of seahorse cases that are roughly the same size as Pelican 1550. Their construction is almost as good, but the latches and hinges really show where they cut the costs - they feel durable, just not as quality built as the pelican. I'd like to compare the three sometime, curious how well the MCM cases are built.

Occasionally you can catch a good deal on the Seahorse cases on Amazon, mine were $38 each shipped.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #56075
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Nice writeup. My KLR had Pelican 1550 cases for a few years, purchased used from Meef. The cases from MCM look like a good value.

I do own a pair of seahorse cases that are roughly the same size as Pelican 1550. Their construction is almost as good, but the latches and hinges really show where they cut the costs - they feel durable, just not as quality built as the pelican. I'd like to compare the three sometime, curious how well the MCM cases are built.

Occasionally you can catch a good deal on the Seahorse cases on Amazon, mine were $38 each shipped.
From what I've read they're similar to the Seahorses. Both are made from different plastic that the Pelicans. These have 4 latches, 2 on top, 1 on each side. They're a little larger than the Seahorse 720s. I expect hinges to be of lesser quality that the Pelicans, but I can buy 5 of these for every 1 Pelican 1550.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #56076
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
2013 christini awd

Here is some news for those of you who, like me, do not like to conform to the most popular bikes (even if they are sometimes the best tool in the box). The 2013 CHRISTINI AWD production models are only starting at $6,895! That means the 300 and the 450 are completely within my realm if I blow another head gasket in the Husaburg.

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #56077
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
That AWD bike is cool but damn, that looks complex. Lots of bevel gears, driveshafts and chains to keep tuned up.

Interesting ...
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #56078
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That AWD bike is cool but damn, that looks complex. Lots of bevel gears, driveshafts and chains to keep tuned up.

Interesting ...
M
I am sure nothing will ever break, need maintenance, or require service. CHRISTINI, must be Italian!

....Don't get complacent!
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #56079
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
[QUOTE=QUICKDRAW;20567165]The 2013 CHRISTINI AWD production models are only starting at $6,895!QUOTE]

They might hope to have them at that price, but I doubt really doubt it.

That is a magical $2K price reduction from any other full size off-road bike, and that is before you add the 2WD system.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #56080
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,135
http://www.omeda.org/powershow/

ANyone else going to the powershow this weekend?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #56081
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Quote:

Nah but there is some sort of mega gun show coming the weekend after this one. I may drive over and check that out.
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #56082
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:

Was planning to take my dad, but we bought a grapple fork for his skidsteer this week, so I need to see if he still wants to go.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #56083
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,135
We are just going because the dealer I buy stuff from gave me tickets and it's going to be too cold to work outside. I usually enjoy it.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #56084
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW View Post
Here is some news for those of you who, like me, do not like to conform to the most popular bikes (even if they are sometimes the best tool in the box). The 2013 CHRISTINI AWD production models are only starting at $6,895! That means the 300 and the 450 are completely within my realm if I blow another head gasket in the Husaburg.
Heck yes,get it.....Can I barrow it?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #56085
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
Nah but there is some sort of mega gun show coming the weekend after this one. I may drive over and check that out.
Where at?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote