ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #56191
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 417
So cool it's frosty.

I had my first try at riding on ice this weekend too. I met up with some buddies near Detroit that had some spare bikes set up with screws. This is super fun! Gotta get a set of these tires for the winter months.

I'll keep a closer eye on this thread for this kind of riding now that I have a taste for it.

I was beta testing a backpack mount for the GoPro to provide a better 3rd person/over-the-shoulder view. Here's some footage from the track.

Entrepre-neer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #56192
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,760
Nice Bradon, I'd like to see how it looks on you.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #56193
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshotking View Post
Man that is pushing it! I was going to come down but didn't want to make the trip and get shut out. We had just over 4" a couple hours north of you guys and decided to not ride:( Damn now I wish we woulda took the chance!! As others have said, ice is someof the most fun I have had on two wheels! Glad some people got to ride! Looks like you guys had a road course plowed off? Man am I bummed
Do you have studded tires? I try to ride as much as I can in the winter. I've ridden in snow as deep as 10-12" before. It's a lot of work, but still fun and a great work out. 4" is no problem. I even went mountain biking yesterday on the local bridle trails (no horses out there in those conditions).

OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #56194
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
I'm not trying to be the next video posting guy but.....
I've been filing out online apps all day and needed a laugh and thought I would share

87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #56195
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
...I even went mountain biking yesterday on the local bridle trails (no horses out there in those conditions).

I think I know where you were, I used to ride those trails too back in the 90's. Looks like down river a mile or 2 from the Mill across the next road maybe?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #56196
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,678
Great videos Entrepoonanny!

Good luck on the job search Moparman.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #56197
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
Rut roh....have a buddy who needs some quick cash and the only thing he has that is expendable is his CBR 900RR....I'm going to look at it tomorrow, I think i can get it for around $1000....if I don't like it, I figure I can flip it for double my money the first warm week of April.....It looks a twin to this.....

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #56198
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

I think you should make it into a dirtbike.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #56199
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I think you should make it into a dirtbike.

The thought of making it into a Strom killer crossed my mind, especially considering how cheap it could possibly be had for and the fact it has around 40k on it.

You know, because I need some more projects.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #56200
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,615
those 900s rock, 0 to 100 in a blink
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #56201
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Story time .....

Last July, during our trip to Colorado, our '10 Chevy Equinox died on I-70 about an hour shy of Denver. 5 gallons of fresh fuel, still cool from it's underground confinement, rectified the situation and we were able to continue our trip to Boulder. So ... either we ran it out of gas, with about 1/4 tank left on the gauge .... or the fuel pump was in the early stages of failure.

Not wanting to risk a problem up in the mountains, we had a local dealer look at the car ... and they replaced the fuel pump in the tank. Problem solved, right? Maybe not, read on.

Last week, prior to our holiday trip to Wisconsin, we took the Chevy to a dealer to check why the check engine light had come on twice in the past two weeks. Turns out there is another fuel pump attached to the engine ... and when that fuel pump goes bad fuel will leak into the crankcase, thinning the oil and causing premature wear. When the dealer checked the oil, it was 2 quarts low ... ~800 miles after the last oil change.

In medical terms, we've got a heart monitor and the doctor will tell us in a week our two, based on oil consumption and a boroscope session, whether or not we need a new engine.

Yesterday, after 3,044 miles since the fuel pump change, the oil consumption was measured to be 3.5 quarts.

Installation of a new engine is already in progress with return of the vehicle scheduled for Wednesday. This quick turnaround was only possible because they had 4 (four!!) of these engines in stock. Methinks GM has been replacing a bunch of these things.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #56202
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Yesterday, after 3,044 miles since the fuel pump change, the oil consumption was measured to be 3.5 quarts.

Installation of a new engine is already in progress with return of the vehicle scheduled for Wednesday. This quick turnaround was only possible because they had 4 (four!!) of these engines in stock. Methinks GM has been replacing a bunch of these things.

Thanks for the updates. At least they are taking care of you.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #56203
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:

On the bright side, that oil consumption is better than most second generation KLR's......

Does it have the 4 cylinder? Sounds like that new 2.4 might be the Quad4 of the 2010s, I have heard a few horror stories about scored cylinder walls and Chevy doing partial rebuilds on them, using a somewhat high compression ratio to make up for small displacement in a large vehicle scares me, especially since fuel keeps getting crappier.

I was a little leery about the 2.0 turbo four in Krista's Tiguan when we got it, but so far so good......
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #56204
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
those 900s rock, 0 to 100 in a blink
I'm not sure if I will like it or not. I have had a handful of CBR 600's (F2, F3, and an F4i), and the only bike I have ridden with a bigger displacement than 600cc's was a GSXR 750, which I did not care much for. CBR ergonomics have always just suited me though, so we'll see if it's my can of beer.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #56205
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,615
I couldn't own one without losing my license or life, but I had one for a weekend. I thought the ergos were pretty good for a crotch rocket.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote