ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #56296
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Specifically, I'm interested in using Pandora Radio in the car; and maybe a police / EMS / fire scanner app when I'm on a longer drive. Would these apps require constant internet connectivity and thus suck my data up, or do they basically draw data as they open but then stop drawing data? I generally use Wifi to access the internet but when mobile that isn't really an option.

Meef,

I have an iPhone on verizon and use Pandora all the time. Being a techno-noob, I think it streams live via constant internet connection???
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #56297
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
Meef,

I have an iPhone on verizon and use Pandora all the time. Being a techno-noob, I think it streams live via constant internet connection???
Yep.

Perhaps it might "disconnect" for a moment or two if it is "caught up" to allow emails and such to come though, but for the most part it is an open & active internet connection. This is on Pandora, but I assume other stuff like the scanner would work the same.

BTW Meef, Fox & Gibson are switched on and actively helping. I feel like I am finally getting some help.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #56298
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,319
Pandora will suck your internet usage dry in no time. You're better off downloading MP3s and using a music player. Figure about 5 megs per song.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #56299
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Get your warm gear out, I'm hoping for 350 miles Saturday. Just so you know, if ridden properly, every oil change requires a new rear tire which is why I ride mine like an old lady.
I know how that is. Tires on the busa determined the oil changes. Typically 1500-2500 miles per rear until I went to sport touring tires. Can't throttle much in a corner past holding speed,but the mileage went up to 4500-5500 per rear. The Pirelli angels I put on are looking better for an inbetween. Higher miles than sport tires,but still grip better than the previous touring tires.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #56300
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
A 4BT would drop right in there.

There was a guy in our parking lot last year with a 4BT in a 2WD Chevy 1500. He popped the hood, it looked like a clean and simple install.

Some day I would love to try a Cummins 4BT install in this thing, it is just collecting dust.

I have (several) 1960 Caddy Coupe DeVilles, A rat Rod version with a 12 valve I6 mechanical pump Cummins would be insane. Just time & money right?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #56301
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Get your warm gear out, I'm hoping for 350 miles Saturday. Just so you know, if ridden properly, every oil change requires a new rear tire which is why I ride mine like an old lady.
I think Gorman is trying to scare the new guy off. I've got almost 9000 miles on my original rear tire. Quite a first bike though.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #56302
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Welcome on board, PolyrythmFX. I'm down around Laurelville and Waverly. Give a yell when you want to go riding.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #56303
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,135
Meef,

I use pandora and tinyshark pretty regular in my truck and while mowing. I use about 3gb of data a month between Pandora, tinyshark, google searches and email. I carry 2 spare batteries with me and can go through all 3 in a day if that tells you how much I use it.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #56304
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
Man it seems everybody is over around Columbus and only like 4 guys including me live over here around Dayton. For those few guys I have a question.

Im new to the area (~2 years) and this year I want to go camping, a lot. Now I'm not down with camping in big mowed spaces with grills set up and portapottys within 100feet. Im more of a rugged camping type of guy. My favorite spot down in KY was an island I had to boat for 15 minutes to get to. Any suggestions on nice places to ride to and camp that isn't 100 miles away?
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #56305
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
There was a guy in our parking lot last year with a 4BT in a 2WD Chevy 1500. He popped the hood, it looked like a clean and simple install.

Some day I would love to try a Cummins 4BT install in this thing, it is just collecting dust.

I have (several) 1960 Caddy Coupe DeVilles, A rat Rod version with a 12 valve I6 mechanical pump Cummins would be insane. Just time & money right?
There is a sweet Waggy running around Columbus with a 6BT stuffed in it, Looks bone stock. Problem is that the dana 44's couldn't handle that action. I know where there is a brand new in the crate 4BT that would be perfect for yours. If I were building a rat rod, it would have to be 2 stroke detroit powered, there is nothing like that sweet supercharged noise they make. We built a 55 ford pickup with a 4" chop when I was a pup, I would love to build another around my 4-71.

You should sell me one of those Caddo's. I would like to put together a pink Caddy for Krista, she digs Elvis, so it would be fitting.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #56306
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
I think Gorman is trying to scare the new guy off. I've got almost 9000 miles on my original rear tire. Quite a first bike though.

Not him, just his check book

Where your blue came from, The late Mr Fabrizio Meoni...

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #56307
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyrhythmFX View Post
Just thought I'd introduce myself to the local Ohioans. Just picked up a new 2012 Adventure 990 this past week.

If you ever have any questions or need help, let me know, mine's been keeping me happy for almost 65,000 miles (and it looks like it too!)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #56308
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
Man it seems everybody is over around Columbus and only like 4 guys including me live over here around Dayton. For those few guys I have a question.

Im new to the area (~2 years) and this year I want to go camping, a lot. Now I'm not down with camping in big mowed spaces with grills set up and portapottys within 100feet. Im more of a rugged camping type of guy. My favorite spot down in KY was an island I had to boat for 15 minutes to get to. Any suggestions on nice places to ride to and camp that isn't 100 miles away?
There's more than four of us but not all are daily posters and some just lurk. As for camping el-natural i Western Ohio. I am unaware of any parks allowing overnight camping out here. But travel towards SE Ohio across 35 and you will find Tar Hollow. Not sure in Wayne has overnight camping or not. But I'm sure there are state parks that do.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #56309
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,117
C-bus visit

Time for our annual trip to Easton for my wife's ophthalmic conference. I am thinking of heading to Mudflats in Galena after dinner tonight for some Rockabilly. Also thinking of heading to either the Mellow Mushroom or Brews for lunch tomorrow. Anyone care to join me so I don't have to drink alone?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #56310
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Hoping to roll through Columbus tomorrow around noon, may need to warm up