ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #56371
Holeshotking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm hoping to ride on ice tomorrow at Buckeye Lake. Am planning on heading out with the bike to see if it is thick enough to go. Anyone who wants to be the ice thickness test dummy please do stop in. I'm bring my buddy who lent me his TTR225 two years ago to give him a chance to ride to see what it's like.

Hopefully swimming won't be a part of the days activities. Liebs Island about 11am ought to be the plan.

Later,
M
Damn, all the ice melted up north last week, I would be shocked if you had 2" please post if you were able to get out.
Holeshotking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #56372
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Delay of game. The 11:00 plan is now more like 1:00 to 2:00. I talked to the guy who plows off the ice and he checked it yesterday and found it about 4 inches thick so we should have no trouble today. They'll be there about 1 to clean off a track so I plan to get there about 1:30 to 2:00 for some riding.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #56373
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Cool, thanks for the update. I'll try to make it out later.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #56374
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,724
Quote:
Delay of game. The 11:00 plan is now more like 1:00 to 2:00. I talked to the guy who plows off the ice and he checked it yesterday and found it about 4 inches thick so we should have no trouble today. They'll be there about 1 to clean off a track so I plan to get there about 1:30 to 2:00 for some riding.

Later,
M
You could go at 1 and help.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #56375
Holeshotking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:

Later,
M
Wow! Hopefully before the end of winter I'll be able to get down there and ride with you guys. Heading up to Michigan next weekend for some riding and ice nationals. If you remember, pm me the next time you guys think you are ice riding a day in advance and 2-3 northeners will join ya! Thanks
Holeshotking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #56376
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Well, an hour and a half of driving to find unsafe ice. Damn. Bummer. Sad news. Oh well, it sounded good. The snow we got the past few days softened up the top of the ice too much and today's conditions are a couple inches of slushy mess over a couple inches of ice. Not safe enough to want to go out on it with a bike, so the plan got bagged. Too bad, cause it is so much fun!

Here's Zach from two years ago as a reminder of the fun ...

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #56377
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
glad I didnt call off today to go ice riding

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #56378
duckassassin1
KLR Junkie

Oddometer: 21
Talking Garage day

Hey guys,

Did I miss the post on the annual garage day in frazysburg?

Thanks,

Jeff
duckassassin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #56379
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,284
I wondered about the ice. I tossed a brick out on our pond today and while it didn't go through, I did get some water coming through where it hit.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #56380
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

What gear sets are you guys running on your WRR's? I think I might drop to a 12t on the front, or swap the rear to a 47 or 48 tooth. I'm planning on sticking with the slightly taller 606 tire for further reference

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #56381
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Well, an hour and a half of driving to find unsafe ice. Damn. Bummer. Sad news. Oh well, it sounded good. The snow we got the past few days softened up the top of the ice too much and today's conditions are a couple inches of slushy mess over a couple inches of ice. Not safe enough to want to go out on it with a bike, so the plan got bagged. Too bad, cause it is so much fun!

Here's Zach from two years ago as a reminder of the fun ...

Later,
M

Must have just missed you. Got to meet your boss though.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #56382
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
What gear sets are you guys running on your WRR's? I think I might drop to a 12t on the front, or swap the rear to a 47 or 48 tooth. I'm planning on sticking with the slightly taller 606 tire for further reference
I stick with a 13 up front, 47 in the rear. 606 is a pretty big tire so the effective gearing won't be that far off of stock.

Running a 12 up front puts the chain pretty close to the swingarm slider and those are a known wear item on the WR. Don't run your chain too loose and keep an eye on the lower surface of the slider.

That said, I've run 12/47 for trail-only duty and while awesome in the woods, it's too short for the road.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #56383
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,724
Quote:
14/50, which is ok. Conventional wisdom suggests avoiding the 12t front for fear of swingarm wear. That and a 12/48 is pretty low, you'd be losing a lot of street comfort.

Edit, and Zach said the same thing on the next page. Gotta read the whole thread for new posts before I reply.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #56384
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
I'm still on the original stock setup. At first I thought I wanted to go lower after experiencing a lack of hill-climbing grunt, but I'm too lazy and cheap to change it. FWIW, I feel sixth gear is too tall on the road anyway. -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #56385
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I was thinking either or. I haven't done the math yet for how the 606 changes gearing, but I'm thinking 13/48.

I've been reading the mega thread, but I figured I'd ask those who are riding our terrain, not what's 2000 miles away.

Mark, are you running a case saver with that 14t? Any clearance issues?