ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #56446
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Swingset has the twin to that bike, i think his has the Tusk kit on it.
My 520 has a Trick Dual Sport Kit on it....very nice. Not cheap, but a very quality conversion. Kory put it on tho, I bought it that way.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #56447
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
I think that some BMV's, when making the original title, don't know the difference and make them plateable right off the bat. I've seen two that were titled as street legal, but had no lights or other parts.
It's up to the selling dealership. I looked at a leftover KTM awhile back, I was told the original selling dealership could issue the title however I chose. KTM's MSOs don't say "Off Road Only" like some other manufacturers. Having said that I don't know why anyone would choose to have an off road title instead of a street title, must be a tax thing.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #56448
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
He told me he had a dirt bike he hadn't rode in a few years that he would like to get part with. Short of it is there should be a 05 KTM 450 EXC in my garage in a week or two.
Let's hit up the MX track / GP course over my way soon.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #56449
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
rfs dualsport

I dualsported my 03 525mxc back in

the day. I used all factory KTM parts, nice, all plug and play. Can't remember what it cost, too long ago. Great thing about ktms is they come with MC titles. That bike is still collecting dust in my garage.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #56450
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Does anyone here have a KTM RFS EXC they've dual sported? If so what kit did you use? I got into a conversation with a guy I know about riding offroad. He told me he had a dirt bike he hadn't rode in a few years that he would like to get part with. Short of it is there should be a 05 KTM 450 EXC in my garage in a week or two. I would like to get a tag for it. I found the appropriate form in this thread (or maybe NEOhio), just curious as to which kit. The factory KTM stuff is $589 from cyclezone.
Sicass kit on mine. Very nice but a little on the pricey side.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #56451
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Let's hit up the MX track / GP course over my way soon.
I'll likely take you up on that. Looks like invisible monster & I may be going on a gravel grinder Sunday. I'm thinking up through Noble Co into the back side of AEP, over toward Caldwell for gas & back. Just initial plan, no details yet. Feel free to join us, you can get the DRZ dirty.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #56452
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,323
so ... FlaggerWife and I wanted some Pad Thai for dinner. We called up the local Thai joint and placed an order to be held for pick-up under the name 'Linder'. I get there and announce that I'm to there pick up an order and I get, "An order for Mr Rinder?". Umm.. yeah.

I take a peek at the hand written order slip and it says, "Rinder".

thought I'd share......

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #56453
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Quote:
I think that some BMV's, when making the original title, don't know the difference and make them plateable right off the bat. I've seen two that were titled as street legal, but had no lights or other parts.
In a peculiar twist on this, my WR250R title arrived in the mail as an "off road only" title. The dealership had to get it replaced with a street title.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #56454
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
so ... FlaggerWife and I wanted some Pad Thai for dinner. We called up the local Thai joint and placed an order to be held for pick-up under the name 'Linder'. I get there and announce that I'm to there pick up an order and I get, "An order for Mr Rinder?". Umm.. yeah.

thought I'd share......
Ricart had a funny commercial years ago when that exhibit showcasing the Chinese Dynasties was in Columbus. Fred was proclaiming "Ricart Ford, Corrrrrumbus!"

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #56455
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post

thought I'd share......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Ricart had a funny commercial years ago when that exhibit showcasing the Chinese Dynasties was in Columbus. Fred was proclaiming "Ricart Ford, Corrrrrumbus!"
Must have been Duke grads...
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #56456
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 620
250cc Dual Sport Test

FYI, You FF's
Cycle World, March 13 Has a shootout with the CRF vs KLX vs WR-R titled "Budget Bashers" I picked it up at the airport news stand enroute back to AFG. Good read. the WR250R STILL RULES!!

B-Mac screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 03:42 AM Reason: spelling
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #56457
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
FYI, You FF's
Cycle World, March 13 Has a shootout with the CRF vs KLX vs WR-R titled "Budget Bashers" I picked it up at the airport news stand enroute back to AFG. Good read. the WR250R STILL RULES!!
I'm no Carnac the Magnificent, but I predict they bitched about the price.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #56458
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,167
Yeah. I don't understand the shootouts between those bikes. Apples to oranges if you ask me, they should be comparing the CRF and KLX to the XT. There is not a bike on the market to compare to the WRR, sure a KTM, Husky, or Gas Gas could work them on the trail, but you aren't running one of those 26k between valve checks.

It's a big world outside of ADVrider, and the average guy is not buying a 250 dual sport to go ride the TAT, he's gonna be in flip flops running down to the store or commuting to work. Honda was wise to come in at the price point they did with the bike they did. It looks badass, performs well, has the Honda name, and when the average buyer is at the dealer looking at at $7000 WRR or a $4500 CRF, it's pretty obvious which way he is going to go.

The WR is a nice square peg to fit nice square holes, but not all holes are square. The round peg CRF and KLX will fill the same hole, just not as well. Yamaha has a good niche market with a bike that has Japanese reliability, but still can hang with the more finicky Euro bikes, and they can charge a premium for it. I think Honda recognized that and decided there were a lot more average joe type riders than there were Road of Bones guys.

All of that said, I would like to see a Japanese manufacturer come up with some real competition to the WRR to further drive innovation in the performance small bore dual sport class.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #56459
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,723
I wonder if the fact that the XT is fuel injected for 2013 will hurt the WR sales any.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #56460
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Does anyone here have a KTM RFS EXC they've dual sported? If so what kit did you use? I got into a conversation with a guy I know about riding offroad. He told me he had a dirt bike he hadn't rode in a few years that he would like to get part with. Short of it is there should be a 05 KTM 450 EXC in my garage in a week or two. .
+1 for the Sicaass racing kits/components. I was able to mix and match to get LED lights all around on my 07 450 XC-W.
I had the whole kit on in about two hours even adding a new stator and reg/rec. for 60W of LED headlights.

The handguards with LEDs and flush mount rear signals have held up well through lots of drops and crashes and I never have to worry about snapping off a blinker.

After seeing a few Baja DS kits I'd say the quality is better on this one.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote