ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #56701
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Yeah....I'm weird like that too. If I hadn't been in the Dr shocks before I'd have done them myself again. Unfortunately too much to do and riding season coming up says I need to outsource if i want more riding time.

Are you just starting learning,or have you already got most stuff down?
Still learning. I've only been riding a year and a half. But I'm also a big believer in that you are always learning. I've ridden horses for over 30 years and I'm still trying to figure it out too.

I actually work on the bikes to chill out and relax. So because my life is such a work hell right now, I welcome an evening of stapling a cover on a seat.

Fortunately, I was worried about the stapler sucking so the original is still on there. I like to test things first before I commit. I can still ride. I just won't match and be all pretty.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #56702
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
So anyway, I'm headed to Mexico for the first time next week. Going with Toby and Harley Tim. Loading bikes on trailer and driving to southern Missouri, unloading heading to Austin for some music crossing at Laredo TX and heading to San Miguel de Allende with a few stops along the way. Toby's dad lives in San Miguel so we'll be there for a few days. I'll make sure I video any donkey fucking. Viva la Whitey!!!!!!
FYI some great MTB and dirt riding there, going this summer again myself
great town, heavy on the gringos but beautiful place.
rob748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #56703
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Still learning. I've only been riding a year and a half. But I'm also a big believer in that you are always learning. I've ridden horses for over 30 years and I'm still trying to figure it out too.

I actually work on the bikes to chill out and relax. So because my life is such a work hell right now, I welcome an evening of stapling a cover on a seat.

Fortunately, I was worried about the stapler sucking so the original is still on there. I like to test things first before I commit. I can still ride. I just won't match and be all pretty.
I never could figure the 4 leggers out. Twist their right ear and they just look at you funny. They ride terrible,horrid grass milage, finicky throttle and brakes, don't even get me started on maintenance.

I hear ya about the work hell. This week is a short 75 ish hours. Damn near triple digit weeks the last 4. It took me about 3 weeks to pull and replace a rear tire,even with dropping it off at a friend's to have him run it to the shop for me.

Good call on testing before committing. Learn to recheck your work and test it after. Both are good habits. Everyone is always learning or a grandmaster at that craft. At that point it should be an occupation because you'd be so good at it.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #56704
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
New to OH. Location Springboro/Waynesville..

Bike under construction in TX 1997 Triumph Tiger (steamer) w/transplanted Kubota Diesel and Polaris CVT
Cool! My neighbor told me I could have a one-cylinder diesel engine that's in his garage, and I've been thinking about putting it in a bike ever since.

Welcome to Ohio, I'm near Chillicothe, retired, and can ride about anytime!
Cruise, adventure, off-road, or scooting, you name it.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #56705
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Oh, yea, nice video , Meef. I would never have seen it otherwise, as I DO NOT do country!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #56706
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Oh, yea, nice video , Meef. I would never have seen it otherwise, as I DO NOT do country!
Personally I was expecting something more along the lines of GWAR.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #56707
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Personally I was expecting something more along the lines of GWAR.
Gwarrrrrrr! Lol
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #56708
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,546
speaking of Mexico, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to Baja for 10 days in April of 2014...whoohoo I cant wait

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #56709
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
speaking of Mexico, if all goes according to plan, I'm going to Baja for 10 days in April of 2014...whoohoo I cant wait
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #56710
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
one of the SabMag guys (also an inmate here by the name of Ratman) lives in San Diego and is a Baja veteran from WAY back...raced cars there in the 60s/70s...he led a SabMag Baja trip back on 05 and was recently reminiscing about it on the email list...next thing you know, someone says "hey, lets do that again" and bang, its on...

gonna fly out and ride one of his bikes...probably a DR350

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #56711
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
one of the SabMag guys (also an inmate here by the name of Ratman) lives in San Diego and is a Baja veteran from WAY back...raced cars there in the 60s/70s...he led a SabMag Baja trip back on 05 and was recently reminiscing about it on the email list...next thing you know, someone says "hey, lets do that again" and bang, its on...

gonna fly out and ride one of his bikes...probably a DR350
Cool...sounds like fun! ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #56712
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
A change of pace.

In late March of 2011, I put my 2008 DL650 Strom up for sale on Craigslist after committing to purchase EJV's 1200GS Adventure. Within a few days, I had several phone calls with people who were genuinely interested. The first person to commit to looking at the bike stated that he'd be bringing a certified bank check with him and was ready to take possession immediately if he liked what he saw. His name was Rob Behler.

That Friday around 2PM, he arrived, riding from Columbus two-up on a BMW R1150RS with a friend. He seemed very happy with the bike's appearance and the test ride brought him back smiling. We then traveled to the bank and title office to handle the necessary paperwork. He didn't haggle on the price and selling this bike was by far the easiest transaction I've ever experienced.

As they were gearing up to leave, Rob stated to his friend that it should make a "great last bike." I couldn't help but ask him to explain this statement. "I have Stage 4 cancer," Rob said. The doctors had given him a pretty short time to live. From what I gathered, it had already been several months and the clock was ticking. "I cashed in my retirement account at work to buy this bike" he said, to which I replied that I felt bad that I was taking his retirement money. "Why? It's not like I'm ever going to get to retire!" Touché.

Rob had attempted a cross country trip on his Buell the prior year after learning of his illness, however the transmission had failed somewhere in Oklahoma. He needed a reliable bike to carry him to his goal of visiting every state in the Continental U.S. before the cancer took over. He had settled on buying a V-Strom to complete that journey, and wanted mine as I was selling it with everything needed for long distance travel.

He had a blog detailing his travels and his fight with cancer. When I checked in on his website in the summer of 2012, he was apparently undergoing another round of chemo but had achieved his goal of riding through every state in the Continental US. His website had a lot of pictures and details of the trips that he'd taken on the old yellow Strom.

Early this year, I checked on him again. But he was gone. I only met Rob Behler one time. It was immediately apparent that he was a good guy and was determined to enjoy his final days.

Rest in peace, Rob.

(photo sourced from his blog)

dox screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 11:59 PM
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #56713
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Cool post Dox, that's touching and glad to see your bike played a role in someone living out their life in style.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #56714
sion
sigh-own

thats both a very cool and yet very sad story...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #56715
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Cool post Dox, that's touching and glad to see your bike played a role in someone living out their life in style.
Thanks, Craig. I couldn't have asked for a better home for the bike.