ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #57766
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
It was the first (maybe 2nd) time I rode with Mark and the gang and there were 2 flat tires that day out of 4 bikes.

I changed tires on the CRF50 last night those 10inch wheels are a ass kicker. The side walls are so short and so stiff you cant get your hands in there to get the valve stem in the hole and the tires are a pain to get on rim. The good thing is with 5hp those tires last a long time.
yep, minis are the worst! Those valve core snakes are quite handy.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #57767
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
You guys who might want to meet up further north tomorrow, I hope to have us back to the BP in Danville around 12pmish

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #57768
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Cheap-ish KLR with a fair amount of miles posted in the Marietta/Parkersburg craigslist - if anyone is looking: http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3696651174.html
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #57769
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
You guys who might want to meet up further north tomorrow, I hope to have us back to the BP in Danville around 12pmish
Got it. Y'all riding little bikes or street bikes ? Originally I think someone mentioned big bikes. Are you planning Stone Quarry ? Couple weeks ago we rode it. That was pretty cool but there is a big tree down and a rough run around. I was askered so mgorman was kind enough to test ride my new bike on the run around. Shortest test ride ever was his remark.Early on the ride that day I about ditched in the mud and I can't believe I didn't go down, shook me up pretty good. I had to admit I really have NO dirt experience compared to some of you pros. I've had the Strom on probably 70% of the roads we did that day, but usually in middle of summer when it hadn't rained in a couple weeks.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #57770
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I'm taking my WRR. anything that we do beyond gravel, there is a bypass for

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #57771
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I like the seat height but this thing has less HP than the WRR. :(

I want to ride on a 2-stroke and see if I would like one of those. They have more power and less weight. :)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #57772
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Geez, I just watched the news and here in Troy we are supposed to get 6-10" of snow on Sunday.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #57773
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post

but it weighs 100 lbs less, depending on the difference in HP, that might be a net gain

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #57774
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
but it weighs 100 lbs less, depending on the difference in HP, that might be a net gain
Maybe, I do wish the WRR was lighter. :(
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #57775
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Got it. Y'all riding little bikes or street bikes ? Originally I think someone mentioned big bikes. Are you planning Stone Quarry ? Couple weeks ago we rode it. That was pretty cool but there is a big tree down and a rough run around. I was askered so mgorman was kind enough to test ride my new bike on the run around. Shortest test ride ever was his remark.Early on the ride that day I about ditched in the mud and I can't believe I didn't go down, shook me up pretty good. I had to admit I really have NO dirt experience compared to some of you pros. I've had the Strom on probably 70% of the roads we did that day, but usually in middle of summer when it hadn't rained in a couple weeks.
Whats funny is that in the overall heirarchy of awesome on a motorcycle, "us pros" are about a 1.4 / 10.

Ride a Ohio AMA dual sport and you'll be getting passed and roosted by 70 year old dudes who showed up to the event in their trucks with handicapped placards, a prescription for Lasix, and an oxygen bottle. And they are like a 3.1 / 10 in the heirarchy of awesome.

Having said that, all in all, you did fine. We've been on all those roads with other guys who simply left because they didn't want to keep riding like we did, so right out of the gate you get props for stamina. Plus your ultimate reason for leaving, to go rail your wife, is an acceptable excuse. You did, however, miss Peggy Sue's pie, which in the ADV Ohio community is an unforgiveable sin.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #57776
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Finally found some boots that fit decently well, Fox Comp 5. They are much more narrow than the the Tech 3s I tried at IP. I've never had MC boots before, I've always rode in work boots. Anyway, went out for about an hour this evening, mix of pavement, dirt, & gravel, first ride in the new boots. My Star/Yamaha IP pants do fit over them. Before I left I had to raise the shifter, the boots wouldn't even fit under it.
The first thing I noticed was the lack of shifter feel. That pretty much stinks. It will take me a while to get use to that. The most positive thing is sole stiffness, that really makes standing & weight shifting much better. In all it's going to take some hours to get used to them.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #57777
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
yeah, the shifting thing is weird, but the protection those boots offer more than makes up for it.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #57778
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:

I want to ride on a 2-stroke and see if I would like one of those. They have more power and less weight. :)
Totally different animal too. You'll notice less power down low vs your 4 strokes. It might take some getting used to, might not depending on your riding style. Maintenance on 2 strokes can also be argued they need more.. depends on your riding too. All in all they're really easy to maintain and rebuild.

Quote:
Ever think of putting it on a diet? Im sure weight can be taken off somewhere.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #57779
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Whats funny is that in the overall heirarchy of awesome on a motorcycle, "us pros" are about a 1.4 / 10.

Ride a Ohio AMA dual sport and you'll be getting passed and roosted by 70 year old dudes who showed up to the event in their trucks with handicapped placards, a prescription for Lasix, and an oxygen bottle. And they are like a 3.1 / 10 in the heirarchy of awesome.

Having said that, all in all, you did fine. We've been on all those roads with other guys who simply left because they didn't want to keep riding like we did, so right out of the gate you get props for stamina. Plus your ultimate reason for leaving, to go rail your wife, is an acceptable excuse. You did, however, miss Peggy Sue's pie, which in the ADV Ohio community is an unforgiveable sin.

I think I'm in the negatives out of 10.....I am so far from a pro that it's redonk. I have no problem with anyone riding their own ride and don't mind helping drag bikes through whatever. The last thing I want is for anyone to think that they aren't riding fast enough to keep up, I like nice leasuraly rides.. I've only been at this gravel road stuff for a little over a year, and I end up over my head a bunch. No so bad now since i went to the WRR and don't have to wring the neck of my bike to keep up, but there are times that I thing "this is a bad idea".....

Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #57780
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
I don't understand this. My 50 pound lighter KTM was so much higher strung than the WRR that it may has well have been the same weight. I can pick up my WRR with out even thinking about it, and I am a fairly out of shape 5'10" and 170ish pounds. The WRR carries it weight really well, it's no MX bike, but for a fully dressed street bike, it weighs nothing.