ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #58891
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Centerburg, Ohio
Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Given how much it's rained lately, you will be miserable trying to get around Perry or Wayne. It is going to be verrrry muddy. I might be able to sneak away for a few hours on saturday if you wanted to do the Danville stuff.
Danville is definitely closer to home and I don't have a lot of confidence in the 761's if things are too wet (especially at this point in the learning curve). I was going to head that direction tomorrow as I have an appointment in Mt V at noon. I wanted to explore around the Mohawk Dam area.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #58892
ruppster
Studly Adventurer
 
ruppster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Marietta, OH
Oddometer: 597
KTM 450exc is plated. Boy, that was easy. After a quick 10 mile shakedown run, I am considering a mirror to see if there are flashing lights behind me.
I'm not sure it is possible to keep the front wheel on the ground while accelerating on pavement. I've not been very successful anyway.
It pulls it up even wound up in 4th. This thing will take some getting used to compared to the WRR.
__________________
Motorcycles on interstate highways make me sad.
08 WR250R, 05 450EXC, 06 VStrom 650, 89 TW200
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #58893
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
KTM 450exc is plated. Boy, that was easy. After a quick 10 mile shakedown run, I am considering a mirror to see if there are flashing lights behind me.
I'm not sure it is possible to keep the front wheel on the ground while accelerating on pavement. I've not been very successful anyway.
It pulls it up even wound up in 4th. This thing will take some getting used to compared to the WRR.
You need to sell the WRR to Sion now.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #58894
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
Danville is definitely closer to home and I don't have a lot of confidence in the 761's if things are too wet (especially at this point in the learning curve). I was going to head that direction tomorrow as I have an appointment in Mt V at noon. I wanted to explore around the Mohawk Dam area.
Damn, I would offer to go with you, but I have a dentist appointment in Dublin at 11:30.

There are a ton of good gravel roads between Nellie and Centerburg.
__________________
Never turn your back on Fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #58895
ruppster
Studly Adventurer
 
ruppster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Marietta, OH
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
You need to sell the WRR to Sion now.
It's my "street" bike. I'll go from Trakmasters & MX tires back to T63s.
What other bike can you ride across the state, ride Tar Hollow, & ride back home without worries? I'll not be trying that on the KTM. I think it's an awesome bike so long as you're not in a big hurry on pavement.
__________________
Motorcycles on interstate highways make me sad.
08 WR250R, 05 450EXC, 06 VStrom 650, 89 TW200
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #58896
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser
 
BikerGeek99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Going to stay at Fontana Village June 6,7,8 for the FZ1 rally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
I'll be there that same weekend for the SV rally!
The wife and I spent a few days down there on the Harley last June. Pretty cool place, all in all. And, needless to say, fantastic roads in every direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Take beer, it's a dry county!
But ... the Village has what I believe was called a 'resort' liquor license, so they sell beer in their on-site (and fairly decent) restaurant, the (kinda pricey - no surprise) on-site General Store, and at the gas station on the property right on 28.

Otherwise, ya gotta go to Robbinsville.

Don't bitch about their beer prices - they get kinda pissy about it.
__________________
Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.
- Michael Stanley


- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #58897
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
It's my "street" bike. I'll go from Trakmasters & MX tires back to T63s.
That's the way I look at my KLR now. As my street bike with D606s on it.
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #58898
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Is there any real advantage to beveling that outside bottom side? Can anyone get that low in a lean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
Does seem like giving up usable space. Jesse bags are made like that too
It's absolutely possible, especially considering that the bags can be mounted on different bikes, on different racks, at different angles, and different heights - so while on that bike installed as they are, they might not scrape; on a different installation they very well might.

BadTrainDriver, as I recall, had a set of Zega's or maybe Touratech panniers without the beveled cuts. He was able to grind the corners of the bags under hard cornering on his DL1000. He contacted the company, who assured him it was impossible to do, but when he provided pictures they agreed that maybe it was possible. In their defense, he's about the most agressive motorcyclist I have ever ridden with so Joe Average might not ever come close.
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #58899
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
invisible monster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Perry County, OH
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Bump for riding Perry SF/Wayne NF/Tar Hollow/or off-road somewhere else this weekend?
My schedule is a little up in the air right now but I may be able to sneak away for a few hours of Perry or Wayne one of the days. I'm close to both places so I can get there on short notice. I would anticipate mud at both places, Perry worse than Wayne if I had to guess.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #58900
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
My schedule is a little up in the air right now but I may be able to sneak away for a few hours of Perry or Wayne one of the days. I'm close to both places so I can get there on short notice. I would anticipate mud at both places, Perry worse than Wayne if I had to guess.
Cool, I'm setup for off road on my WRR with MX51's so I'm good to go just about anywhere. I don't want to eat up the tires too bad so I'm leaning toward Perry or Wayne.

I may head over to Indiana at Redbird SRA on Saturday. They are having a trail maintenance day and riding is free if you help out. It's 3.5 hours away though and I'm not 100% sure I'll have a riding buddy if I go...so I'll make a decision tomorrow afternoon at the latest...
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #58901
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 2,854
My WRR keeps blowing fuses for the turn signals. The dash goes out too and the starter won't engage. :( The fuses don't blow out right away and the time varies so I'm thinking a frayed wire somewhere bouncing around and shorting out. I hope to figure out what's going on tonight and be ready to ride this weekend...
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #58902
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer
 
FireDog45's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Centerburg, Ohio
Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

BadTrainDriver, he's about the most agressive motorcyclist I have ever ridden with so Joe Average might not ever come close.
Is there an award for understatement of the year, cause this would be a contender!

And that's coming from Meef!!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #58903
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
invisible monster's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Perry County, OH
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Cool, I'm setup for off road on my WRR with MX51's so I'm good to go just about anywhere. I don't want to eat up the tires too bad so I'm leaning toward Perry or Wayne.

I may head over to Indiana at Redbird SRA on Saturday. They are having a trail maintenance day and riding is free if you help out. It's 3.5 hours away though and I'm not 100% sure I'll have a riding buddy if I go...so I'll make a decision tomorrow afternoon at the latest...
Sat would work better for me than Sun if that helps you make your decision. Karen's brother is in from TX and I probably won't be able to cut out on Sunday due to required visiting etc...
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #58904
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
Is there an award for understatement of the year, cause this would be a contender!

And that's coming from Meef!!


This one time, before he was at ADV lifetime banned camp, we were on a trip to NC. We got behind a dozen Harleys on SR800, and he passed them all in one fluid rush, in a hairpin curve, dragging parts and throwing sparks all over those pirates, at about double the speed limit. I was getting ready to pull over and call 9-1-1, not because of him, but for the Harley riders, several of who I am pretty sure had mild strokes as he went by.

__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 06:08 AM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #58905
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, OH
Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
My WRR keeps blowing fuses for the turn signals. The dash goes out too and the starter won't engage. :( The fuses don't blow out right away and the time varies so I'm thinking a frayed wire somewhere bouncing around and shorting out. I hope to figure out what's going on tonight and be ready to ride this weekend...
My suggestion would be to start at the rear signals, since the wiring for them runs along the steel subframe and a raw wire there would cause a short against the subframe. IIRC you also have the replacement taillight and signals so I'd look pretty hard at the connections between the factory wiring and the aftermarket wiring.

Until you sort it out... don't use your blinkers?
__________________
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home, and when the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road..." -DBT, Monument Valley

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014