ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #59326
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Anybody have a Rocky Mountain ATV coupon they don't need? Ordering some street tires today.

I'm using Progressive Insurance, but have liability only. Less than $100/yr for the 2 bikes below, but they're small cc's.
I don't think their coupons work for tires. I have one but it says excludes tires

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #59327
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I don't think their coupons work for tires. I have one but it says excludes tires
Thanks for checking.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #59328
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
I've been using American Modern Home through TNS in North Canton who's been specializing in bikes as long as I can remember. 5 bikes, full coverage is $575 a year.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #59329
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
I have a pair of these fake Pelicans I need to get rid of now, don't want to ship them, so $50 for some one to pickup or meet someplace. Brand new, have all the foam and such inside still. I guess they are on backorder.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...f%2F0000001435
Those large enough for me to make some home made paniers out of? If so I will take them.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #59330
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I've been using American Modern Home through TNS in North Canton who's been specializing in bikes as long as I can remember. 5 bikes, full coverage is $575 a year.
Do you get medical on that Mike? Most ins companies aren't giving medical to the rider that I'm seeing. Otherwise I'm fully covered.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #59331
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Some people just don't give a shit or have any scruppels, no honor anymore. Man have times changed.

Dave
All true but I cant help thinking he did him a favor. Congrats on the Versys - if it falls through theres a DS Ninja in the sale forum.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #59332
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Those large enough for me to make some home made paniers out of? If so I will take them.
Yes, I bought them to put them on the KLR. Same concept as pelicans but like a quarter of the price. They are damn well made. If you want, I can drop them off at your house on Wednesday.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #59333
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Here's a set on my old KLR (Edhead owns it now)

Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #59334
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
All true but I cant help thinking he did him a favor. Congrats on the Versys - if it falls through theres a DS Ninja in the sale forum.
It's a done deal, I have the title in my hand, waiting on the boy to wake up so we can go pick it up.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #59335
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
It's a done deal, I have the title in my hand, waiting on the boy to wake up so we can go pick it up.
Congrats, we really like our Versys. Probably one of the best values for a motorcycle on the used market right now.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #59336
Drifter136
Lab Rat

Oddometer: 75
Is a Versys mainly just a comfortable, standard riding position sportbike or can it handle light offroad/gravel roads? I see a lot of you guys have 250's for more offroad oriented rides. So, i'm guessing the Stroms, Versys, Tenere, et al or for more street oriented, longer rides?
Drifter136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #59337
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter136 View Post
Is a Versys mainly just a comfortable, standard riding position sportbike or can it handle light offroad/gravel roads? I see a lot of you guys have 250's for more offroad oriented rides. So, i'm guessing the Stroms, Versys, Tenere, et al or for more street oriented, longer rides?
The main difference between the Versys and the others you mention is the 17" front wheel, and less ground clearance.

Essentially, your description is accurate - I'd call it a "naked" / standard bike, with a tad more ground clearance then the average bear.

Any of them should be good for gravel, again the 17" wheel is a bit small for tracking over ruts and such, but doable. Light offroad? That's a decision you make based on skill set and lack of caring about the bike... I personally would not do "off road" with any of them but guys do.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #59338
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter136 View Post

Versys is Kawasaki's answer to the Strom.

Any bike can handle gravel and light offroad...IF the rider can handle it.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #59339
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I call the Versys an entry level "Adventure" bike, much like the Honda NC700X. Upright riding position, dirt bike bars instead of clip ons, better ground clearance, etc. Like Meef said, the smaller front wheel and suspension travel make it what I would call "entry", that, and the price point being less than half of a Tenere or KTM Adventure. Any bike can ride gravel, Screzzy was hauling ass on his SV650 with damn street tires.

I plan on using it for hot gravel and street riding, I'm wanting to to a few multi day trips, and the big thumper just isn't suited for eating up 500 pavement miles.

All of that said, if I could only own one bike, it would be a small displacement dual sport. As a matter of fact, for a very long time, my only bike was a kick only KLR 250. However, I value the ability to explore any cow path I might see off the side of the road more than a comfortable 500 mile pavement day.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #59340
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
. I personally would not do "off road" with any of them but guys do.
The definition of off road varies, to some it's gravel, to some it's Quarry, to some it's crossing some damn scary bridge made out of rotted ass RR ties....