ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #59356
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
So, first impressions of the Versys...good. The power is very linear, it pulls good from 1000 rpm all the way to redline. I got into a few times coming from traffic lights and was surprised when the front wheel was lofting in 3rd gear. It also eats up corners, I didn't think it was possible, but I drug a peg on the ride home and wasn't really trying that hard. Vibration wise, it's quite smooth, but I haven't ridden anything but a single cylinder bike for any real distance in probably 4 years, so my point of reference may be skewed. The guy threw in some more stuff, so I managed to get: SW racks with the quarter turn fasteners, Givi hard bags, heated grips (the good ones), SW crash bars (new, uninstalled), Givi windshield, and barkbusters.

So far, I am damn happy, the only changes I am considering are a sumo front fender because I don't like the look of the low fender much, and a set of bar risers, they are a little awkward while standing. I might switch the bend of the bars to something a little straighter, but I'm going to ride it some first. I'll be switching to a more aggressive tire after i grind these off. The only thing I really noticed is if I were taller, the pegs would maybe need lowered, I have a 32" inseam and am right on the edge of feeling cramped, but I like to stretch my legs out while riding or driving anything.

Coming from a bunch of sub 30 hp thumpers, this thing is like a caddy.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #59357
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I would not do the third on a big bike.

Where is this?
FireDog45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #59358
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Nice!
FireDog45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #59359
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
Where is this?
Near 715 down by Walhonding.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #59360
Drifter136
Lab Rat

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I would not do the third on a big bike.

This trail looks fun. How long of a trail is it or is there much more to it than this?
Drifter136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #59361
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
It's, sadly, illegal.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #59362
Drifter136
Lab Rat

Oddometer: 71
Private or Government property? Reminds me of the 4"x4" bridge crossings on the mountain bike trails I ride. It would be a little more hairy on a 300# motorcycle, though.
Drifter136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #59363
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I've decided to shake up my garage a little bit since I'm going to be on a vacation from motorcycles for a while this year. Put the Ulysses and wr250f up for sale in the flea market. If you know anyone that would be interested in either one (or both, I can do a package deal!) let me know.

Ulysses
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886926

wr250f
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886898
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #59364
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
So, first impressions of the Versys...good. The power is very linear, it pulls good from 1000 rpm all the way to redline. I got into a few times coming from traffic lights and was surprised when the front wheel was lofting in 3rd gear. It also eats up corners, I didn't think it was possible, but I drug a peg on the ride home and wasn't really trying that hard. Vibration wise, it's quite smooth, but I haven't ridden anything but a single cylinder bike for any real distance in probably 4 years, so my point of reference may be skewed. The guy threw in some more stuff, so I managed to get: SW racks with the quarter turn fasteners, Givi hard bags, heated grips (the good ones), SW crash bars (new, uninstalled), Givi windshield, and barkbusters.

So far, I am damn happy, the only changes I am considering are a sumo front fender because I don't like the look of the low fender much, and a set of bar risers, they are a little awkward while standing. I might switch the bend of the bars to something a little straighter, but I'm going to ride it some first. I'll be switching to a more aggressive tire after i grind these off. The only thing I really noticed is if I were taller, the pegs would maybe need lowered, I have a 32" inseam and am right on the edge of feeling cramped, but I like to stretch my legs out while riding or driving anything.

Congrats on the Versys, wish I still had mine.

I lowered my footpegs, made a big difference.
http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Lowerin...FPG-LWR-RA.htm
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #59365
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,771
Quote:
the only changes I am considering are a sumo front fender because I don't like the look of the low fender much,
Don't ditch the low fender without giving it some riding time in the rain...may just surprise you how much water comes laterally off the cast wheel, hits the airflow, and gets right up your jacket & chin.

Axe me howz I know.

Every bike is different with how it treats the wind and water, but I learned why that fender needs to be on the wheel on the Strom.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #59366
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Visited the Zaleski Fire Tower & Moonville Tunnel today. There sure are alot of bricks in that tunnel.

bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #59367
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:

Looks great, they are really fun bikes. It's a little cramped for me at 6'4", but so much fun to ride. We have the motowerks peg lowering kit - it helps a lot, but drags pegs a lot easier now.

If you decide not to use those crash bars, shoot me a PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #59368
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Congrats on the new bike! The maroon doesn't look bad. Sounds like a blast.

Those talking about Shinto 244's. I loved them on my Wrr. The front's wearing like iron. I was thinking about going one step more aggressive up there (track master or t63), and getting a new 244 for the back, but I may stick with the 244 pair again. I've got 6000 miles on the 244 front I just pulled for knobbies, and I'm not even sure if it's half gone yet. I may just get another rear and keep running the front. (That would be the third rear). It really can be ridden like a hooligan bike with those tires.
(Also, kenda makes an identical set of tires, the rear appears to wear a little longer, but pavement traction is noticeably lower.)

Unrelated... Anyone up for a mid week ride? I'm thinking Wednesday. Little bikes; Perry or Tar Hallow probably, but I could be persuaded to go to a pay place.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #59369
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 442
Gonzo, good looking bike, have fun with her.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #59370
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
I've decided to shake up my garage a little bit since I'm going to be on a vacation from motorcycles for a while this year. Put the Ulysses and wr250f up for sale in the flea market. If you know anyone that would be interested in either one (or both, I can do a package deal!) let me know.

Ulysses
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886926

wr250f
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886898
You taking a break because of the injury obtained at the Grassman? If so, that sucks big time!

I've broken my shoulder blade and metacarpals 4&5 on my right hand since starting to ride dirt bikes. It's a wonder I haven't been hurt worse since I suck so much. :( I keep getting back on and trying to get better though. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote