ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #59401
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
when you can start seeing marks in the aluminum it's time for a new one. I went to a 14t front and 48 rear last time I changed chain and sprockets.

That's my eventual plan as well. I seem to recall a matrix in the mega thread that lists all the ratios acquired by different sprockets, so I can keep it relatively the same going to 14 up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Joe, chain guard looks normal, and is that a crack or a scratch in the stator cover? If its not seeping oil I'd say its good. Otherwise the part is about $80.

As far as I know no one is making a case saver specifically for the WR.
It's just a scratch, but I was hoping to do something preventative before I do worse.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #59402
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,604
There was a guy on the mega thread that used a stainless steel spatula to make a protector for that area.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34553
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #59403
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,547
way cool bike:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...#axzz2TKIbtlYb

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #59404
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
There was a guy on the mega thread that used a stainless steel spatula to make a protector for that area.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34553
Damn, that was only a month ago. How'd I miss that? Thanks for the link.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #59405
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
So, we are having a little family get together at our house on Sunday, and you guys who have been here know that I have a few projects to finish/shit everywhere. I've been busting ass to get everything presentable, and at lunch time today, decided enough was enough. I tossed the keys to my WRR to my friend/employee who is helping and told him we were gong for lunch....45 minutes later, we were at the wing place that is 10 minutes from my house.....

Point of this story is, the Versys loves gravel. Between the street (like really street) tires and Alan telling me it took a while for him to get used to his Strom off pavement, I was concerned that I was not going to like it....I was wrong. The first road we hit, I rolled into it, the ass end wagged a bit, settled in and we were gone. I was riding at what I felt to be a comfortable pace, looked down and saw 67 on the speedo....whoops, it seriously is that steady.

This is possibly the most confidence inspiring bike I have ever been on. It starts by begging to lean further and further on paved twisties, then reels you in when you blast down a gravel road at 70....I can't believe more people don't ride these, it must be the fact that they are ugly as shit.
Matt,

The Versys is seriously underrated & overlooked. I often wish I had gone for a more versatile bike when shopping for the SV. That being said, street bikes on gravel are pretty damn fun. I think the fastest I went was 60. Feeling the ass end swim around on gravel really gave me more confidence and a better understanding of my limits on the street. I'd love to ride fast gravel with you again, maybe next time I can learn how much braking it takes to slide the front. Also, what tires are your Versys wearing? I'm due for a new rear soon and am considering Scorpion Trails for better traction in the loose stuff.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #59406
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,251
It has Dunlop 221's on it now. Not even a little bit of a gravel oriented tire. I'll eventually switch to a shinko 705 when these get worn out.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #59407
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
1939 top speed 135mph......My Panther was made in 1940 and I wouldn`t even think of doing 55mph on it. Very cool bike. They made some bikes that were way ahead of their time back then. The materials are so much better today.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #59408
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
If anyone is interested in riding off-road (trails and MX) this coming Friday, BBrooks and I will be at Crow Canyon from 10-4, cost, $20

If you hadn't heard, Crow Canyon went private last year. You must send me a pm 1st so I know you are coming, I'll need to come down and unlock the gate to let you in. As before, you'll need to sign a waiver
Is it full or are they still taking memberships?
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #59409
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Point of this story is, the Versys loves gravel. Between the street (like really street) tires and Alan telling me it took a while for him to get used to his Strom off pavement, I was concerned that I was not going to like it....I was wrong. The first road we hit, I rolled into it, the ass end wagged a bit, settled in and we were gone. I was riding at what I felt to be a comfortable pace, looked down and saw 67 on the speedo....whoops, it seriously is that steady.
This is possibly the most confidence inspiring bike I have ever been on. It starts by begging to lean further and further on paved twisties, then reels you in when you blast down a gravel road at 70....I can't believe more people don't ride these, it must be the fact that they are ugly as shit.
I'm just an inch or so shorter than Dox (6'2"+), so the cramped/tight cockpit comments made me frown.
I've been looking around & asking questions about the Husky/BMW 650 Terra/Strata. Anybody ride one? If they're smoother than a KLR (what isn't?) I may try to get my butt on one to try. They seem to get great handling reviews and are 15-20 more HP than the KLR.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #59410
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screzzy View Post
Also, what tires are your Versys wearing? I'm due for a new rear soon and am considering Scorpion Trails for better traction in the loose stuff.
The scorpion trail is a solid tire. Work very well on wet or dry pavement, and they're a bit heavier duty than most street tires. The wider widths are dual compound, and I got between 8k and 12k miles out of a set.

The shinko 705 comes in 150, which will work fine on your bike. It'll get less mileage than the trail, but it's much less expensive and better off pavement.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #59411
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
That's my eventual plan as well. I seem to recall a matrix in the mega thread that lists all the ratios acquired by different sprockets, so I can keep it relatively the same going to 14 up front.
If you haven't heard of it,there's a website called gearing commander that gives you a ton of info on gearing or simple final ratios when you change the front or rear sprockets.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #59412
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Is it full or are they still taking memberships?

As far as I know, still open to new members. The memberships are calendar year, not date to date. I'm not sure if they plan to pro-rate for half years or not for new folks.

If you wander down that way there is a meeting this evening (Wednesday) at 7:30 so pending what bike you ride, I can show you around the place so you can see what's there. I'll either be in the 950 or 640, haven't decided. We'll also be there Friday if you want to ride.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #59413
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
As much as I hate to interrupt, there is something of critical importance happening this week. I hope I can count on you all to write and call! This moment is the culmination of a LOT of work by a small handful of dedicated people. Please take the time.

For the last 2 years rider activists from Ohio Motorized Trails Association, American Motorcyclist Association, ABATE of Ohio, and the Ohio State Snowmobile Association have been working on a legislative effort to restore the State Recreational Vehicle Fund Advisory Board, and create a grant system for accessing money in the SRV Fund.

The SRV Board was originally created in 2009 to give riders direct input into how ODNR uses our money for trail projects. However language was slipped into the original bill that dissolved the board after 2 years. Restoration of this board is critical to trail expansion for Ohio riders.

The State Recreational Vehicle Fund has been around for years, but in 2009 riders campaigned to raise our own fees so there would be adequate trail funding available. That fee increase has stayed, but we lost the board. Also there has also never been any mechanism for accessing the fund for projects off of ODNR property. Keep in mind, every dollar in the SRV Fund is our money, paid exclusively by riders.
A rider populated advisory board in combination with a grant system for disbursement of funds has been a successful formula for creating trails in many other states. Our neighbor state to the east, Pennsylvania, has a similar system in place that funds destinations such as Mines & Meadows and Majestic Trails, as well as many other riding destinations across PA.This is a system that works.

On Thursday, May 16th, 2013, in the Ohio Senate Finance Committee, State Senator Frank LaRose will introduce 2 amendments to HB59, the state budget bill. The first amendment reestablishes the SRV Fund Advisory Board, and defines the duties of the board, as well as requiring that the board be populated by rider activists recommended by the organizations that represent your rights! The second amendment establishes in Ohio Law a grant system that allows public entities such as county parks systems, or private land owners such as “pay to ride parks” to apply for grants from the SRV Fund to provide public trails.

None of the language in these amendments increases any fee! It is all about providing rider oversight and access to OUR money.
We need every rider to call and write your State Senator, as well as members of the Senate Finance Committee, and express your support for these amendments. Tell them to support the amendments establishing the State Recreational Vehicle Fund Advisory Board and creating the State Recreational Vehicle Fund Grant Program.

Whether you call or write (you should do BOTH!), remember to be respectful, polite, encouraging, and enthusiastic. Don’t forget to point out that motorized recreation is a significant part of our state economy, from dealers who sell and service new units to independent parts and accesory shops. Remind them that since Ohio currently has very few legal places to ride surrounded states are reaping the economic benefits of Ohio riders traveling outside Ohio to ride!

You should also know, there are people who want to see this legislation fail. Including upper level staff at ODNR who prefer the status quo, with ODNR having exclusive authority and access to our trail fund. You can be sure they will be expressing their opinions to senate leadership. We must make our voices louder than theirs!
Find your State Senator by clicking here.
Find the Ohio Senate Finance Comittee by Clicking here.
Make sure you also contact Ohio Senate President Kieth Faber!
Don’t forget to send a thank you email to Senator Frank LaRose!
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #59414
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
snipped
Made a call and I'm sending a letter too....I'm not even riding this year, but that's a worthy fight.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #59415
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Shitty morning, better afternoon. Thanks to Mike for letting me follow him around Perry.