ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #60841
noob67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
yo

lol idk what i mean, i thought you biked off road with a dirt bike...
noob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #60842
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob67 View Post
I guess Im asking what bike you plan to use and what type of offroad you see yourself riding? The motorcycle industry spends a lot of time making "dirt Bike" riding a competitive closed track type of riding, very different from riding trails, doing enduros or what most people here do.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #60843
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Are you wanting to do big jumps like motocross on tv?

Are wanting to truck or trailer a light dirtbike to a woods or trail network and roost some mud and climb hills?

Or are you wanting something that you can ride legally on the street with mild comfort to get you to some cool gravel roads, trails, and light wooded areas?

Or are you wanting a blinged out BMW GS with the whale forskin lined touratech outfit and the fake mud splash on the bike to look hardcore as you ride to the local Starbucks to bullshit with your buddies?

Whichever you choose will determine what you should buy. Most bikes in the dual sport category can cover several areas that I listed, it is up to you to decide what you want to do the most and match the bike accordingly. If you have a question someone will have an answer for you. We may bitch and bicker with each other like brothers since most of us have met and rode at some point. Regardless of any internet bickering we would drop what we are doing to help each other out.
Welcome to the club.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #60844
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Or, you can buy the very best Garmin and be self-satisfied because it was made for what you're doing and looks like proper motorcycle kit on your Touratech dashboard.

Well, crap. Look's like I better go and buy that dashboard so I can be the pretentious ass that Swingset thinks some of us should be.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #60845
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
professor gorman, professor mike gorman, please report to the orientation center
If he wants to do gravel travel, it ain't me babe, it ain't me you're looking for. If he wants to go out and break his neck on the track or trail, maybe we can work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Features-wise, I love it so much more than the 3g already. Only time will tell if it will be able to take all the crap I put the first one through.
They kind of over complicated the camera settings, removed the shutter button but they did somehow integrate photobucket into the camera screen which saves a bunch of clicking around. The screen is more sensitive to the touch but I haven't tried the glove mode yet to see how that works. The battery seems to last nearly twice as long also.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #60846
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Because I like YFFs so much, you get to see the highlight of my 4-day trip on the Trans-East Trail (TET) before anyone else. This is from earlier today.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #60847
noob67
Adventurer

not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Are you wanting to do big jumps like motocross on tv?

Are wanting to truck or trailer a light dirtbike to a woods or trail network and roost some mud and climb hills?

Or are you wanting something that you can ride legally on the street with mild comfort to get you to some cool gravel roads, trails, and light wooded areas?

Or are you wanting a blinged out BMW GS with the whale forskin lined touratech outfit and the fake mud splash on the bike to look hardcore as you ride to the local Starbucks to bullshit with your buddies?

Whichever you choose will determine what you should buy. Most bikes in the dual sport category can cover several areas that I listed, it is up to you to decide what you want to do the most and match the bike accordingly. If you have a question someone will have an answer for you. We may bitch and bicker with each other like brothers since most of us have met and rode at some point. Regardless of any internet bickering we would drop what we are doing to help each other out.
Welcome to the club.
well since I've never ridin before I'm not really sure yet but I would see myself wanting to ride off road trails in the woods so a bike that i could truck around would be good. I'm not looking to ride around on the street and look flashy or anything, I'm more interested in the off road component for sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #60848
noob67
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I guess Im asking what bike you plan to use and what type of offroad you see yourself riding? The motorcycle industry spends a lot of time making "dirt Bike" riding a competitive closed track type of riding, very different from riding trails, doing enduros or what most people here do.
definitely off road trail riding with hills, water, and lots of dirt for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #60849
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,979
Quote:
definitely off road trail riding with hills, water, and lots of dirt for me.
Well, from what you say I would agree with the Troy area dirt riding class and maybe even a day with MGorman after that to teach you how to fall down. The type of riding you want is limited in Ohio to private land, Wayne National Forest designated trails or one of the 4 state ORV areas. Unless you have friends with private land. Your best bike would depend on your size and strength. I think you said your in centeral Ohio (Columbus area). Might want to try to hook up with some of the guys on thumper talk, visit Iron Pony or Solace at the BMW store for some ideas in the bike area. Solace might even be able to set you in a good direction for some beginner off road rides for dirt bikes as I think he and his boss is into them. Hope that helps. Most of us ride dual sport bikes that are on and off road. We are plated and ride the bike to the trail and back home but if we're lazy (I get lazy a lot) we trailer our bikes. But being dual sports they are often heavier than dirt bikes. You can watch lots of you tube videos that we do for our rides like the one Army Joe put up. There is a link below for my channel where there are tons of them and Indypup has a good collection too.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #60850
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Because I like YFFs so much, you get to see the highlight of my 4-day trip on the Trans-East Trail (TET) before anyone else. This is from earlier today.
Good job. Some of the rocks on the bottom looked to be a good size.

I was rather surprised that you rode into the river without having an exit strategy, as it were.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #60851
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,195
Hey Invisible Monster, I hope the rehab is going ok. ;)

I finally got our ride video edited of the Grassman DS. It's uploading to youtube now. ;) I'll post a link to it when it gets done.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #60852
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
well since I've never ridin before I'm not really sure yet but I would see myself wanting to ride off road trails in the woods so a bike that i could truck around would be good. I'm not looking to ride around on the street and look flashy or anything, I'm more interested in the off road component for sure.
I originally thought you were fucking with us, but I looked at your post history and I suppose you might be legitimate. It would go a long way towards getting people to speak up and offer input if you completed your profile, listed a specific location, and made some sort of "hello" post introducing yourself.

Having said that, I don't think this is the place to ask to learn how to ride, nor how to ride "dirt". I understand you were not specifically asking people here to teach you, but obviously (based on responses) that was how it was perceived.

First off, no one knows you, and you don't know any of us. Teaching someone to learn to ride is a time consuming process, best left to someone who either likes you and will do it because you are friends or family, or someone who is getting paid to do it. Learning to ride requires that you select a good teacher, and again, since you don't know any of us, in the unlikely event you do hook up with a guy from here willing to teach you, he might turn out to be the worst fucking teacher ever and you'd have no way to know that. Also, some of these dudes are downright creepy, and it's entirely possible you might go into the woods with one of them on a "learning expedition" and wind up the subject matter of scary campfire stories for the next hundred years .

Second, "dirt" isn't the forte of this group. There are a few enduro level guys here, but most of us (myself included), are low to mid level riders who just plonk along on gravel roads or light off road stuff and just sort of explore aimlessly. While generally these sort of rides are open to anyone who cares to come along, there is an innate understanding that guys of similar skill set and with similar equipment ride together, and these rides are not the time to learn how to ride. They are great for honing skills, but not for creating them. See?

To answer your specific question, I would suggest this, more or less in this order:

-Contact people you know who ride (dirt or street) and pick their brains
-Go to a few motorcycle shops and nose around, ask questions, sit on some bikes, explain your situation to the sales guy and get his input
-Take a basic MSF street rider course (1-800-83-RIDER)
-Take a basic MSF dirt course
-Borrow a beater bike from a friend and do some riding on your own to develop some understanding of the skills you learned in the MSF course, then try to do a few rides with friends as you gradually gain confidence
-Look at local classifieds, Craigslist, etc., for a used bike that is in your price range and in the category you are interested in; take a buddy who knows more than you along to look at it
-Buy a bike, and begin riding it as much as you can, continuing to develop and hone the basic skills from the MSF course
-Read books, articles, and watch videos that will assist you in honing those skills - Rider Magazine's Staying Safe, the book Proficient Motorcycling, various non-buildit Youtube videos, and so on
-Take the MSF advanced course(s)

If you truly don't know anyone - family, friends, co-workers, neighbors - who rides and can render advice, then you have a harder road; but it's still totally doable. When I started riding, I was 21, had never been on a bike except once as a passenger on a Goldwing, and no one I knew had a bike except that Goldwing guy and he was no teacher. I bought an old Suzuki pretty much on a whim - only because it was cheap as hell and looked fun. I got a 10 minute lesson from the guy selling it about how to brake, shift, clutch, and so forth. It took me a few weeks to be able to get it out of first gear and into traffic without stalling it. I knew nothing about maintenance and paid a guy to adjust my chain and change my oil. Over the last 15 years I have gradually become a better rider and a little better mechanic (I change my own oil now, la dee fucking da! ), and have branched out to dual sport riding and involved other people I care about, like my wife, in the riding sports.

I guess the point here is this: while this is a great website, it's not a total beginners site. While a lot of guys here might say they would help you, the reality is no one is really going to want to help a total stranger with 0 experience. You're going to have to do this on your own, or at least start the process on your own by implementing the above suggestions.

Good luck.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #60853
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Having an MMI open house on Thursday evening, July 11th.

They sponsor Danny Eslick & Roger Hayden from Team Michael Jordan Motorsports. You can come out and do a meet/greet autograph thing with those guys or talk with the MMI personnel or the MMI graduates that work for Team Jordan.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #60854
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Well, crap. Look's like I better go and buy that dashboard so I can be the pretentious ass that Swingset thinks some of us should be.
I used that joke in this thread because pretty much none of us are that "always the best of the best" guy who can't understand why anyone would do less....but we all know they exist.

Sorry if my comment hurt the feelings of any gear snobs. I know they're people too, sort of.

Feel free to bling your bikes with abandon, may your depreciating asset glimmer with the finest of overbuilt accessories and your travels be uneventful and cheery.

Amen.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #60855
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
and your travels be uneventful ....

Amen.
From a certain point of view, I kinda wish my travels were uneventful.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote