ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #60871
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
My biggest concern was dropping the bike. At that depth, I would have been royally fucked. Getting water in the airbox and/or engine would have ended my trip right there.
Nah, pull the plug, lift the front up and drain the exhaust, drain the airbox, crank her over a few times to clear water, change the oil as soon as possible (right there on the side of the road if need be), you're good to go.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #60872
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,026
Just kill the engine as soon as you dump it. You don't want to suck water into the cylinder. You'll really screw it up then. Likely bend something internally. I dumped my KLR in a creek one time (well several) and let it drain before cranking on it. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #60873
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Enjoyed the video..thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #60874
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Yeah, I've been doing a lot so far this year. I'll miss the Jake-Tom on the 14th though. I'll be at Dayton Dirt Riders that day. I'll also miss the Black Bear two day because I'll be out in Colorado then. Probably my next one will be the Buffaloe 500 in Columbus, Indiana in August. ;)
I remember you asking a year or so ago about Dayton Dirt Riders. Did you join? If so, is still all roots, ruts, and hill climbs? I haven't been for nearly two years and am requesting a trip report and video review of what Dayton Dirt Riders is like this year. -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #60875
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post
I remember you asking a year or so ago about Dayton Dirt Riders. Did you join? If so, is still all roots, ruts, and hill climbs? I haven't been for nearly two years and am requesting a trip report and video review of what Dayton Dirt Riders is like this year. -Mike
It's still pretty rough terrain. I haven't filmed anything yet. I need to find out if they care if I do. I don't want them to boot me out after just joining! ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #60876
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
It's still pretty rough terrain. I haven't filmed anything yet. I need to find out if they care if I do. I don't want them to boot me out after just joining! ;)
I only went a few times and I always left exhausted after dragging my WRR out of slimy ravines. I didn't understand the importance of a properly sprung/set-up bike until I attemped to ride there on a stock, porky dual sport. Maybe you'll have better luck on your WRR. -Mike
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #60877
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post
I only went a few times and I always left exhausted after dragging my WRR out of slimy ravines. I didn't understand the importance of a properly sprung/set-up bike until I attemped to ride there on a stock, porky dual sport. Maybe you'll have better luck on your WRR. -Mike
I'm starting to really like the way I have mine setup. I may hold off buying orange until this winter. ;)
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #60878
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
Hey Mike, which drain hose kit did you buy? I've been looking at the one on CJD's site, but yours does not appear to be that one... I'm having a blast getting used to my new 990 as well (bought Wally's last 2011) but still working through the break-in period.
I just went to Jegs on East Main and bought the parts myself for $20:
1x Russell 670510 (metric drain plug adapter)
2x Jegs 110001 Hose Fittings
1x Jegs 110302 End Plug
And 1 foot of heavy duty rubber hose that fit the above mentioned hose fittings (bought from Advanced Auto Parts).

BTW, I highly recommend getting a 16 tooth front sprocket. It makes 6th gear much more useable, and 1st and 2nd gears more enjoyable. FYI though, you do have to pull the clutch slave cylinder, and therefor flush that fluid, to replace the front sprocket. It wasn't a big deal, but caught me by surprise, and led to some aggravation.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #60879
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Cartwheeling down the Translab wasn't your idea fun?
Probably not for him but a lot of my stories start out with "I know this guy". He's a legend in my story circles which is about 6 people

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #60880
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I just went to Jegs on East Main and bought the parts myself for $20:
1x Russell 670510 (metric drain plug adapter)
2x Jegs 110001 Hose Fittings
1x Jegs 110302 End Plug
And 1 foot of heavy duty rubber hose that fit the above mentioned hose fittings (bought from Advanced Auto Parts).

BTW, I highly recommend getting a 16 tooth front sprocket. It makes 6th gear much more useable, and 1st and 2nd gears more enjoyable. FYI though, you do have to pull the clutch slave cylinder, and therefor flush that fluid, to replace the front sprocket. It wasn't a big deal, but caught me by surprise, and led to some aggravation.
Mike, that is so totally what most of the super-frugalistic COG'er's do I had a flashback reading your reply. Thanks for the info and part numbers, looks like I'll be making a lunch run down to Jeg's this week. Also appreciate the info on the sprocket, I'll have to think about that, too. I had Wally throw the 'R' model FI map on my bike before I picked it up; supposed to be good for an extra 15 ponies. She's pretty spritely as is, but what the hey... Did you upgrade the clutch line while you were in there (assuming the oem is not s/s, here)?
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #60881
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Anyone else from central OH doing the KTM rally?

Seriously thinking about going out to CO for the rally. I had set aside vacation time in Aug to do the COG rally in Idaho, but now I've sold the Connie and I've had to reschedule my vaca due to an unexpected work responsibility that hit the calendar. Looks like I might be able to make this week work, and would love to do a first long tour on the 990 and camp for this. Just finished reading the rally thread in the OC subforum, sounds pretty happening. Anyone else here planning on making the pilgrimmage?
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #60882
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Mike, that is so totally what most of the super-frugalistic COG'er's do I had a flashback reading your reply. Thanks for the info and part numbers, looks like I'll be making a lunch run down to Jeg's this week. Also appreciate the info on the sprocket, I'll have to think about that, too. I had Wally throw the 'R' model FI map on my bike before I picked it up; supposed to be good for an extra 15 ponies. She's pretty spritely as is, but what the hey... Did you upgrade the clutch line while you were in there (assuming the oem is not s/s, here)?
My biggest reason for the sprocket change was to lower 6th gear. It felt like it was lugging anywhere below 70 mph. Now it's comfortable down to a more useable 60-65, and will still cruise at 80. The more spirited lower gears was just a perk.

Any flat spots or annoyances with the R map? I might have to get that beamed in there soon.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #60883
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post

My biggest concern was dropping the bike. At that depth, I would have been royally fucked. Getting water in the airbox and/or engine would have ended my trip right there.

I dropped my 950 in a big hole in Mississippi this past spring, it took a bit of time to unswamp it. I also lost a thumper in Beaver Creek once, all that stuck out was the left grip. A proper draining and I was back in the race. I'm sure your 1//4 liter would be a piece of cake, however, I am not sure how well EFI drinks water?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park

mgorman screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 06:44 AM
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #60884
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Seriously thinking about going out to CO for the rally.... Anyone else here planning on making the pilgrimmage?

I was considering it, there is another rally I'd like to attend as well as doing a few other trips has strapped both my time and cash. Send me a PM with your ideas on going

Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #60885
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

FYI though, you do have to pull the clutch slave cylinder, and therefor flush that fluid, to replace the front sprocket. It wasn't a big deal, but caught me by surprise, and led to some aggravation.
Why do you have to flush the fluid? I've had mine off a half dozen times and never had to. If you are removing the hose, you are doing something wrong. If there is fluid between it and the cases, there is something wrong. The slave can be taken apart and cleaned if necessary. Don't use baby mineral oil in the clutch. While it will work, it tends to thicken over time and when you let the clutch out, the lever will return, but in slow motion.

I kept the 17 and added teeth in the rear to keep the chain up off the guide and have extra teeth to take the load on the chain.