ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #61921
klxsqrl
klxSQUIRREL

Oddometer: 145
My first vehicle was a VW Microbus. I had a whopping $75 in that van. It had a sun roof that six guys could hang out of and sick gas mileage. I would collect oil money when we did beer runs as the valve covers tended to leak (profusely). I think all German motors of that era leaked oil but the box of extra parts I had after the motor rebuild might have contributed to the problem. Man that was a fun ride and I would have another.
Mine was the blue and white paint scheme
fldwlkr
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #61922
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
trailers

My 2 cents on trailers. The 2 factors that effect fuel economy the most when trailering are wind resistance and speed. So while it's nice to be able to walk around in an enclosed trailer without bumping your head every foot of height you add to a box trailer will noticeably reduce your mileage. Cruising speed, particularly if the tow vehicle is diesel powered is also a big factor. With my truck the difference between 1700 rpm and 2000 is around 2.5 mpg. So while the speed limit has gone to 70 mph on a lot of roads set the cruise at 65 and enjoy the ride. I have seen very few tandem trailers in the 7000 lb. range with brakes on both axles-really not necessary unless you are really hauling heavy- above say 15000 gcw. One topic not addressed so far is suspension. The difference between leaf spring and torsion is like night and day. The torsion trailer walks over bumps independently while leaf springs bounce and tramp and bind. Go with torsion. Finally consider that if you need to move your trailer around your driveway into a tight spot you will not be able to move a tandem without hooking it to a tow vehicle-no picking up the tongue and pushing it around.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #61923
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
Valid points all. 65 seems like the sweet spot for fuel economy in my truck, it also was in my diesel, if I bump up to 70, it really suffers, obviously the manufacturers geared them to be in the correct RPM range for economy.

Like I said, the brakes on both is usually an option, and adding them is as simple as swapping on a loaded backing plate and adding a drum. The axles are already flanged to accept the backing plates.

On the subject of springs, torsion all the way, not only do they ride better, but maintenance is far less and you can have a deck height that is much lower as well.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #61924
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Pete, you're alive! Hope you got my message on your 950, if not, I'm looking for a 2nd one if you ever decide to sell yours. DId you get the 640 going that you were working on?

My trailer has the 7000 lb payload and both axles have brakes, probably why it stops so well. The main reason I was going for the larger trailer, is garage space. Right now mine has 5 bikes in it, be nice to add a few more and clear up garage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
My 2 cents on trailers. The 2 factors that effect fuel economy the most when trailering are wind resistance and speed. So while it's nice to be able to walk around in an enclosed trailer without bumping your head every foot of height you add to a box trailer will noticeably reduce your mileage. Cruising speed, particularly if the tow vehicle is diesel powered is also a big factor. With my truck the difference between 1700 rpm and 2000 is around 2.5 mpg. So while the speed limit has gone to 70 mph on a lot of roads set the cruise at 65 and enjoy the ride. I have seen very few tandem trailers in the 7000 lb. range with brakes on both axles-really not necessary unless you are really hauling heavy- above say 15000 gcw. One topic not addressed so far is suspension. The difference between leaf spring and torsion is like night and day. The torsion trailer walks over bumps independently while leaf springs bounce and tramp and bind. Go with torsion. Finally consider that if you need to move your trailer around your driveway into a tight spot you will not be able to move a tandem without hooking it to a tow vehicle-no picking up the tongue and pushing it around.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #61925
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
wherabouts

Michael, yes I am very much alive. I did indeed get your PM. Of the dozen or more bikes in my garage my 950 is probably the one I would have the hardest time parting with. Not much progress on the 640-work is nuts. I got laid off from a 6 10's job yesterday and am starting another one Tuesday. This shale boom is fantastic for my trade. Shortly we will have three big gas processing plant jobs going at the same time. Then some time next year we will have two gas fired power plants being built in Carroll County. Back to the bikes- I think I am going to look for a 950SE to round out the stable. +1 on the bigger trailer. Enclosed trailers make wonderful cold storage areas for extra stuff-garage annexes so to speak. BTW I'd be willing to venture a cartographer/GIS expert could write his own ticket for a job in this shale mania.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #61926
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
Man I've always wanted one of those. or a Corvair rampside... Bikes and other stuff have always taken priority so far
I passed on a deal on a Corvair rampside many years ago, still kinda wish I had bought it. I know where there is another, very nice one hiding in a garage here in Morrow county, however, it's one of those "my husband bought it new and he passed" things. It is a spotless truck and, since I first saw it 20 years ago, it is still in the same spot in the garage. I run by there every now and then and talk to the lady (my grandfather and I used to mow her lawn), hopefully someday she might sell it to me.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #61927
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
BTW I'd be willing to venture a cartographer/GIS expert could write his own ticket for a job in this shale mania.

Bummer on that 950, I've never seen an original 950 THAT clean!

I was offered a full time position at a place but turned it down because 1, I am tired of drawing and 2, I only want part time.

I will have part time here real soon as the shop goes into winter mode and I'll no longer be needed til spring, the full timer calls off sick or the boss goes on vacation.

I really don't miss my desk job

Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #61928
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I passed on a deal on a Corvair rampside many years ago, still kinda wish I had bought it. I know where there is another, very nice one hiding in a garage here in Morrow county, however, it's one of those "my husband bought it new and he passed" things.

Let me know if you ever come across a Corvair convertable

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #61929
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Weighing in on the trailer questions....

I just sold my 14' low-boy tandem axle box trailer--torsion suspension and 4-wheel brakes--after owning it for 4 years and towing it around town, to CO and back, FL and back, and too many "moving friends" errands to count. Most axles are rated at either 2500# or 3500#. Depending on options, a single axle trailer will have a 3500# axle and an empty weight of maybe 1400-1700# giving a load capacity of approx 3/4 - 1 ton capacity. My tandem weighed about 2450# with dual 3500# axles, giving a load capacity of over 2 tons. With respect to mileage, the rolling resistance is nothing compared to the wind resistance and the weight penalty. My F150 averages about 17-18 MPG in town, up to 20-21 MPG on the highway, and would drop to 12-14 pulling the trailer at 65-75 MPH.

I'd say the most important thing for you to decide is how much stuff you plan on hauling. Unless you're gonna drag two 900# H-Ds or large metric cruisers plus another ton of stuff, the tandem axle is overkill. I can attest to just how much of a PITA they are to move around for storing in your yard. Admittedly, a tandem axle is less sensitive to loading variables, but as long as you're a smart fella and watch how you load the single axle with respect to tongue weight, they pull just as easily as a tandem.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #61930
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
Last minute but I'm planning on riding route 555 for the first time tomorrow if anyone wants to go or has advice.

I'm planning north to south, leaving steubenville Ohio around 8am and should be in zanesville by 10:30-ish.

If anyone wants to meet up my times are flexible, either PM your number or get ahold of me. (740) 632-5685.

I'm taking either my FJR or Ninja, but either way I'll be going at a mostly relaxed pace. Don't feel like wrecking this weekend, but as much as I hear about this road I want to see it.

jules083 screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 09:02 PM
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #61931
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Last minute but I'm planning on riding route 555 for the first time tomorrow if anyone wants to go or has advice.

I'm planning north to south, leaving steubenville Ohio around 8am and should be in zanesville by 10:30-ish.

If anyone wants to meet up my times are flexible, either PM your number or get ahold of me. (740) 632-5685.

I'm taking either my FJR or Ninja, but either way I'll be going at a mostly relaxed pace. Don't feel like wrecking this weekend, but as much as I hear about this road I want to see it.
I ride it pretty regularly, it's just a non-busy 2 lane for me. Anyway, watch out for gravel in the turns from Chesterhill down to Bartlett. I normally take 676 instead of 550 if you are headed to Marietta.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #61932
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I ride it pretty regularly, it's just a non-busy 2 lane for me. Anyway, watch out for gravel in the turns from Chesterhill down to Bartlett. I normally take 676 instead of 550 if you are headed to Marietta.
You forgot to watch out for cows in the road, blue hairs, drunks, squids, turkeys and lose bails of hay.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #61933
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,055
555 ride it. Its a motorcycle road. You have to use your gas, brakes, and senses. All those things builit mentioned might happen coming over a blind horizon with an off camber turn. It doesn't flow well but its cool in its own way.

Stick around, after this we'll talk about tire pressure and oil.

Have fun!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #61934
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Weighing in on the trailer questions....

I'd say the most important thing for you to decide is how much stuff you plan on hauling. Unless you're gonna drag two 900# H-Ds or large metric cruisers plus another ton of stuff, the tandem axle is overkill. I can attest to just how much of a PITA they are to move around for storing in your yard. Admittedly, a tandem axle is less sensitive to loading variables, but as long as you're a smart fella and watch how you load the single axle with respect to tongue weight, they pull just as easily as a tandem.
True, as long as you are buying the trailer just to haul bikes. Also, the resale needs to be considered, I think it would be much easier to sell a tandem because your market will be much larger.

I'm probably jaded because I deal with trailer's almost everyday and have my tractor set up to move them easily, sometimes I fail to take into account that no everyone has the same situation I do.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #61935
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,643
oil,air and riding.

What kind of oil should I run in my tires and how much pressure should I run in my crankcase? I need to know because I`m thinking of riding to Quaker Steak and Lube soon. Also thinking of taking a big bike ride to Marietta,Ohio next Saturday to see the best fireworks around. It will be a LONG RIDE on twisty roads with several break offs so people with sore butts can head to Williamstown,W.Va. and wait for us to see the show.(I should have free parking there) I will leave my house at 8:00am.....8:01am and no one will be there so don`t be late! If you want to go,PM me for address.....Larry.